Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Spill Kits-Kimber Trial
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Centric

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  15:57:51  Show Profile
Spill kits are now mandatory for all trials. In the event that anyone has neglected to obtain one for this Saturdays's event (Patrick please note)they will be available at signing on, price £6.

Looking forward to seeing you all,

Alan

Martin Warner

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 10/04/2012 :  16:04:08  Show Profile
I have just spent £14,000 having my engine rebuilt and reduced the oil consumption from 30miles per pint to near zero. If I had known I could have just bought a batch of Spill Kits and saved some money.

Edited by the Webmaster 11APR12

I have deleted the post following this one also
Webmaster

Edited by - Martin Warner on 10/04/2012 23:00:25
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2012 :  19:54:39  Show Profile
Hmmm has a little snippet of information been deleted? i think I noticed it.

We do all need to know these things, new members need to know where to go for the best service and who to avoid. We need perhaps some way of rating all the people who provide a service a la ebay... stars, 1-5, just like primary school!

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6140 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2012 :  20:56:08  Show Profile
I'm reliably informed that my 'new' J2 Shaftesbury built engine used no oil whatsoever going there today for a check up

EDIT: Oliver Richardson tells me that in fact he's done almost 300 miles in three days in the J2 with nary a drop of Castrol R required. Of course YMMV

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 11/04/2012 21:00:49
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2012 :  21:56:07  Show Profile
Peter

Sadly, a ratings system can be left wide open to exploitation by the very people who MMM enthusiasts should be protected from to include any notorious rogue trader and tarnished MMM service providers, irrespective of how well established they may be.

I sadly frequently hear reports on an almost weekly basis on the rather unpleasant side of the MMM world with the same regular few names cropping up time after time. There are trade people out there that I will always thoroughly recommend and others I am surprised still have the benefit of freedom.

I do realise that the MMM Register are trying to avoid being placed in the firing line from a point of legal challenges but the website can easily caveat against being responsible for member's irresponsible postings and it is the person making the post who can be legally held to account if their comments do not hold water. Nobody likes a public slanging match but equally, I do think that MMM members, especially the newer ones who often seem to be aligned by a minority for horrific financial exploitation, should be able to gauge where they can expect to receive best service. I am also aware that where disgruntled customers have threatened on many occasion to expose trader's dishonesty / poor service on the MMM Forum, refund cheques have quickly been dispatched. Rogue traders and poor service providers are terrified of the internet.

My MMM posts have occasionally been censored or removed when I have offered nothing more than factual information, giving the enthusiast balanced choice and I am sometimes left feeling just a little curious as to what the problem is! Can the MMM Register not be a little more relaxed on some of its censorship?

Regards

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3376 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2012 :  23:38:35  Show Profile
This is a very tricky area. If you write a statement that makes a claim, expressly stated or implied to be factual, that may give an individual, business, product, or group a negative image, you may be committing libel. Proving that what you say is true may be very difficult and may not release you from the charge. Bear in mind that this website is read all over the world and the laws governing such things can be quite different in different countries. The Register could find itself on the receiving end of a law suit that could close us down forever as well as end up with members being sued in a civil action.
My position has always been that if you have a dispute with a trader (or a member) then you settle that dispute directly, even if you have to resort to legal action. That is a matter for you alone. Can you imagine how quickly this forum would degenerate if it were full of claims and counter claims, "he did this", "no I didn't" - and so on.
When you signed up for membership of these forums you agreed to the following:
"We are authorized by you to remove or modify any data submitted by you to these forums for any reason we feel constitutes a violation of our policies, whether stated, implied or not."
"In your use of these forums, you agree that you will not post any information which is vulgar, harassing, hateful, threatening, invading of others privacy, sexually oriented, or violates any laws."
I try and apply these rules evenhandedly - maybe not always successfully, but that is always my intent. I will in future make a statement on any post that I edit that I have done so and I always write to the person whose post I edited to let them know why.
Last but by no means least, if I did not edit a post that was subsequently proved to be libelous, then I could find myself with a law suit on my hands (particularly here in the US) and that is something I am not prepared to do. If anyone out there is willing to take on that risk, then by all means contact the committee and become a moderator for these forums.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Keith Wallace

United Kingdom
367 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  07:11:36  Show Profile
I think most of us usually know who the the writer is likely to be referring to, with out the need to actually name them.

Keith Wallace

Edited by - Keith Wallace on 12/04/2012 07:34:10
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6140 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  08:11:36  Show Profile
I'm often surprised by how gentlemanly this forum is in comparison with other motor related ones that I frequent where it is quite common for individual businesses to be accused of all sorts of impropriety, often seemingly without real just cause. I guess part of the reason is that the MMM world is a small one and many of us know, or know of, most of the traders and businesses associated with it and express our personal views about them privately to those we know and trust. And I'd have to say that I much prefer this to starting to go down the road of, as Nick says, 'he did this' and 'no I didn't'.

I think Nick has a difficult job to do, and does it very well, and I for one am not queuing up to volunteer as a 'mod' - a thankless task if ever there was one.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  08:13:38  Show Profile
Nick has already posted a comment about the acceptable use of this website, so I hope people will not mind if I offer the following observations?

I truly don't want to get at all 'heavy' about it but the overriding Rules are clear and published (see the 'Policy' link at the foot of most pages) and they apply to all of us.

They say:
“Acceptable Use:
You may only use this Website in accordance with these Terms and Conditions ............ In particular, you agree that you will not:

“Post, transmit or disseminate any information on or via this Website which is or may be harmful, obscene, defamatory or otherwise illegal;”

The MGCC and the Triple-M Register, which is part of MGCC, limits its liability "..... of whatsoever kind arising out of access to, or the use of this Website or any information contained in it"

Website users "agree to indemnify, defend and hold [MGCC] harmless from any liability, loss, claim and expense (including reasonable legal fees) related to your breach of these Terms and Conditions"

Forum users in particular should therefore understand that in their own interests our discussion forum is not the place to ventilate publicly issues relating to the quality of goods and/or services they may have received from providers within the Triple-M fraternity.

The Register's position is - and remains - that any such issues or general opinions - whether factual or otherwise or based on hearsay (rumour being a particularly corrosive medium) should be addressed directly with the party concerned rather than being put into open circulation.

We don't offer an adjudication service and we certainly cannot engage directly in disputes between supplier and customer. We are however willing to receive in confidence corroborated evidence relating to particular issues and will offer whatever assistance we regard as appropriate in the circumstances.

I'm sorry if people may feel that our (and the Club's) policy amounts to curtailment of freedom of speech, but given the particular context and especially in the interests of contributors to the Forum, I hope you'll understand that this has to be our stance.

Regards to all,
Dick Morbey
Register Chairman

PS
Is there anything more to say about spill kits?

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  10:33:06  Show Profile
The current situation regarding traders, good and not so good, is not really satisfactory but as has been made clear, there is not a lot that we can do about it - as a formal Register. However, for each complaint that I hear of, there are probably half a dozen people offering compliments about the very same person. So, in the final analysis, it is up to the purchaser to make his or her own decisions. I have been involved with MMM cars since 1957 when I bought my M Type (LJ 3872 where are you now), and nothing very much has changed since then, except for a greater number of folks offering goods and services, plus a greater use of legal action if something goes wrong.

To a newcomer to MMM ownership, I would say, go to as many meetings and MMM gatherings as possible and talk to those who have "been there and done that". If you get 19 out of 20 people saying that a particular trader is good, then the answer is clear. If you get 10 saying tht he is no good and 10 saying he is, then toss a coin and make your own decisions - and accept the consequences if thngs go wrong.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Ross Kelly

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  12:20:52  Show Profile
I agree with Colin we see good and bad in all. This forum is not the place for traders to air their personal vendettas against others.
I am sure the these so called rogue traders would not be still in business if they ripped off all their customers. They would be out of business as the customer base is quite small.
I personnally would not have been able to keep my cars running without the ability to buy those hard to get original parts from the established suppliers.
My compliant is by the time we wake up here in Australia any parts offered in the for sale section have been snapped up.
Cheers
Ross Kelly
J3763
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1474 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  14:43:34  Show Profile
An interesting thread of course, but what is a 'spill kit'?
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  15:24:18  Show Profile
Ian,

According to the MSA (see http://www.msauk.org/site/cms/newsarticle.asp?chapter=1&nid=1394 )

MSA issues clarification of Environmental Spill Kits definition

The Motor Sports Association (MSA) has issued a clarification of the definition of Environmental Spill Kits that appears on page 57 of the 2011 Competitors’ and Officials’ Yearbook.

The full and clarified definition, with additions highlighted in red, is as follows:

Environmental Spill Kits – For use in managing spills of automotive fluids, lubricating oils and fluids, gasoline, coolant additives, hydraulic oil etc. All kits to include adequate number of disposal bags for collection of used materials. Used spill kit materials to be disposed of in accordance with National and/or Local Authority Guidelines.

(i) Large Spill Kit
Absorbent pads and/or granular absorbent material capable of dealing with spillages of up to 14 litres capacity.

(ii) Medium Spill Kit
Absorbent pads and/or granular absorbent material capable of dealing with spillages of up to 7 litres capacity.

(iii) Small Spill Kit
Absorbent pads and/or granular absorbent material capable of dealing with spillages of up to 1.25 litres capacity.

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

r.warr

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2012 :  21:42:21  Show Profile
You should be aware that if you use the MSA spill kit on any spillage you will then be legally responsible for the correct disposal of the contents of that kit.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2012 :  00:23:11  Show Profile
Ross

Just for clarity, my post was in response to occasions of general over censorship on the Forum and no reference was being made to "it being a place for traders to air their personal vendettas against each other". This was not the point I was raising or contributing to.

Hope this clarifies.

Regards

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 13/04/2012 08:04:01
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2012 :  10:17:03  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Richard Hardy

Ross

Just for clarity, my post was in response to occasions of general over censorship on the Forum
Rich

As an ex-editor of Info letter and the Yearbook, I recall a couple of accasions when I lost sleep over remarks that I allowed to be put into print - though in retrospect they were very trivial. Nick has to suffer that worry on a daily basis, so it seems only fair that if he has any doubt about any statement's validity, he should do as he sees fit at the time. Its a big world out there...

Graham

"I'd rather be happy than right anyday" Slarty Bartfast, Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000