Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG Live! 2012
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

Oz34

United Kingdom
2570 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2012 :  22:48:38  Show Profile
Makes private flying sound quite cheap!
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2012 :  06:44:13  Show Profile
Peter, I will try harder to do the full 10 laps you mention this year now I understand the economics !
John, If we are there to entertainl the thousands of paying customers why are we paying a race entry fee at all let alone being squashed into a paddock with hardly space to unload ? Same old complaint I know.

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2012 :  08:59:49  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by D Downes

John, If we are there to entertainl the thousands of paying customers why are we paying a race entry fee at all let alone being squashed into a paddock with hardly space to unload ? Same old complaint I know.

Regards
David D

Good luck with that one David. I remember asking the same question a number of years ago and as I recall the answer was 'If you (Triple M's) don't we can easily make up an alternative grid of people who will'. Hmmm....
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2012 :  09:07:29  Show Profile
Hi Andrew,
I know there is little mileage in airing it all again but it just wrankles a bit, especially when, invariably,the weekend advertising depicts a racing MMM car on the front of the programme and on the posters. We all know our cars are the ones that put a smile on the paying customers faces.

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2012 :  13:54:13  Show Profile

Presumably, the same logic is applied by the numerous organisers of static 'Transport Shows' around the country who charge entrants a fee to enter and then charge the public a fee to look at the exhibits?

Boycott this practice.
Go to Top of Page

Jeff Shackell

United Kingdom
42 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2012 :  21:52:39  Show Profile
Yes, aiming to be at MG Live but not sure which day, being a fair weather man I will be looking upwards first and will decide second. Very nice day today at Silverstone.

Jeff
Go to Top of Page

peterfenichel

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2012 :  19:32:44  Show Profile
I might be missing something here but the entry fee via MRL for MG Silverstone shows as £595, not £340 as discussed above...??
PF

Peter Fenichel
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3683 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2012 :  19:34:48  Show Profile
Hello Peter,

Yes, but that is the MRL fee. The Triple-M race (listed separately) has the lower fee.

BW
Dick

Edited by - DickMorbey on 22/04/2012 19:35:06
Go to Top of Page

peterfenichel

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2012 :  19:51:50  Show Profile
Dick,

Where do you see the £340? The MRL website and entry forms quote £595 and the MGCC regs say "enter direct with MRL". As you may recall I used to work with Duncan in the MRL events so am curious about this...

PF

Peter Fenichel
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2012 :  20:04:00  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by D Downes

.....................let alone being squashed into a paddock with hardly space to unload ? Same old complaint I know.

Regards
David D

Race entrants squashed in the paddock and register parking squashed into a totally inadequate space. But plenty of space for motor bikes jumping over vans, fun fairs, cars sliding sideways into parking spaces, all of which have nothing to do with MGs.

Has MG Live lost the plot?

I appreciate the hard work which many people put into this fine event But I think that the desire to entertain the 'whole family' is in danger of overiding the main purpose of the event.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2012 :  20:17:25  Show Profile
Peter F
From the MGCC site go to Motorsport and then the MGLive listing and you will find the MGCC entry form. Sat race 7 is the MMM race. http://www.mgcc.co.uk/competition/SR_Entry_MGLive_2012.pdf
35 mins (plus practice) for £340.
Peter S
I agree. It seems to me that the purpose of the meeting was lost some years ago.

Regards
David D

Edited by - Dow on 22/04/2012 20:28:52
Go to Top of Page

peterfenichel

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2012 :  20:26:25  Show Profile
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction... new I'd miss this. So the MRL race billed as the Brooklands 500 is separate from the MMM race? I just assumed they were combined to fill the grid. This is a good bit for MRL as I gather they were struggling to find venues for the Pre-War series.

Peter Fenichel
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2012 :  20:36:49  Show Profile
Perhaps all these pre-war cars, MRL and MMM, will be given adequate space in the paddock for the public to appreciate and admire but I expect it will be the usual free for all. Get there early and rope off as big an area as you can.

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page

peterfenichel

United Kingdom
79 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2012 :  21:14:45  Show Profile
I've tried on and off for years now... in the VSCC, MRL and MGCC to highlight the issues around paddock space and the importance to a "good show" and public perspective of having a well laid out paddock without modern cars and trailers taking up effectively all the space they "need." All to little success. There are events that manage this much better, Goodwood, Le Mans Classic (in actual fact any event run by Patrick Peter) but these are events / races where actual paddock space or garages are pre-allocated entry by entry. You have no option of arriving early and spreading out whereever it suits. Some hill climbs do a better job of this, like Shelsley Walsh but that's because their paddocks are garage by covered garage by historical fact. I've also suggested at some more notable club events that we work towards displaying signage with each car to explain to the public spectator what they are looking at, and also to try to group competitors with similar cars together... MG's all in a row.

Now that I'm racing a more "modern" Formula Junior I have to confess that the HSCC does no better. Racing at last year's Oulton Park Gold Cup was great but finding space in the paddock and manoeuvring around everything from trucks to modern cars to tents and all manner of kit was really a huge hassle. I'm not sure what it would take to deal with this issue more successfully but the first hurdle I believe are organisers and the venues themselves who just simply do not seem to care - again with the notable exceptions who, not surprisingly, seem to run the more prestigious events.

I was once part of a discussion with a well known race / track organization where the head guy simply said "none of those silly old cars will be invited no matter what you pay...". He was of the view that pre war cars were too slow to be of spectator interest and that "those cars" dropped oil all over his track and put off all the other competitors (who mind you were paying much more for the pleasure). So, we were not invited back. When it came to the event the main advertising poster, all the magazine adverts and even the track side banners featured a photo, in fact it was the exclusive image of that next year's event, of an entire grid of pre war cars hurtling around that very same track! And to add insult to the un-invitation the wording of the promotional literature said to come and see the history of motor sport - which I suppose in their mind started in 1951!

Oh well...

Peter Fenichel
Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2012 :  15:03:50  Show Profile
Dick in answer to your request NO on all accounts but hope to be there on the Saturday to help out with our stand and car parking.

I suppose in reading this thread and the costs indicated we have to accept that Motor Sport in all it's forms is no longer as it was when our cars were younger but is now part of the Entertainment Business. Some call this progress!
Anyway good luck to all those spending their money to race at Silverstone to give us spectators the opportunity to see and hear our cars in action.
Bob
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000