Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG Live! 2012
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
571 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2012 :  17:43:40  Show Profile
David , I cannot let your comments about Oulton Park go without a reply. The paddock now and has been for a good few years is very good. Fully tarmaced & very large. The loos will compare favourably with any at any other circuit. I would also think there is enough space to accommodate the complete 'Silverstone meeting ' i.e. Register areas, marques, traders etc. . The racer would love the place I'm sure with a proper 'road' circuit to drive on & a lap time, even for the Triple-M cars, that would keep the spectators interested. I accept it is a bit of a long way for those south of London to come but we 'up north' have been trekking down to Silverstone for years (40 plus for myself) without complaint. I also realise that MSV (the owners) might be an insurmountable problem but please don't knock Oulton Park if you haven't been for years.
To be fair , in general, I tend to agree with what David says about Silverstone & why it continues to be used for our International meeting. It does have shotcomings but until somewhere of comparable size & suitable location is found we are probably stuck with it. Ray

Edited by - Ray Masters on 26/04/2012 19:11:26
Go to Top of Page

paul55

Luxembourg
732 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2012 :  18:20:17  Show Profile
Keep it up eveyone, not seen a topic go to 5 pages for ages! All good stuff. Everyone seems to have valid points, but its all suppersition until a different venue is tried...for better or worse. Only then could a informed decision be made on which everyone would understand the reasoning.
Paul.
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1059 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2012 :  19:27:52  Show Profile
Have not loved the facilities at Silverstone so far....
Especially the "open plan" showers are not really to my liking.

The racing was super on the club circuit, but waiting in the pits before the B's came around again took a bit to long on the full track.
And the flying motorcycles etc should be ditched right away.

And since I already have to take an expensive ferry or/and drive a fair few miles those extra miles won't hold me back from enjoying a weekend of MG racing!

So far my spectator view on MG live.

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Terry Hartley

United Kingdom
281 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2012 :  12:37:07  Show Profile
....speaking as someone who commissions and employs professional designers, you never critcise their work until you know what their brief was.
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2012 :  13:47:59  Show Profile
Oh dear !!!

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2012 :  14:09:22  Show Profile
I'll second that !

Regards,
Cat
Go to Top of Page

Terry Hartley

United Kingdom
281 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2012 :  17:59:17  Show Profile
Gary
You emailed me off line to ask what I have taken offence at in your posting. The answer is absolutely nothing, and I have absolutely no conection with the production of MG Live material.
The point I am trying to make is just how many anniversaries do you want to take advantage of? The true strength/weakness of the MGCC is that it means so many different things to so many different people. Having turned out sporting cars for almost 90yrs the majority of MG's surviving cars are owned by people who are mostly interested in specific periods of production, and whilst they probably have a passing interest in other periods/Registers it is limited. To be honest I don't think many members, outside the Triple-M Register, are at all bothered whether we publicly celebrate the J2's 80th birthday or not. With so many MG types being built over a long period there will be many 'significant' anniversaries every year. What do you do? If you highlight everything you end up emphasising nothing. As a designer you will know that. I personally think the annual list of special years at Silverstone has been overdone for years. It should be kept to realistic milestones: the MGB's 50th is worthy, the J2's 75th was well marked but do we need one every 5yrs?
Let's put our efforts into the joys of life...like driving our Triple-M's.
Terry
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3414 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2012 :  18:42:00  Show Profile
Terry, Gary
I think this conversation between you two would best be continued off line.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

arjen

Netherlands
32 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2012 :  20:04:40  Show Profile
Why not, as at Brooklands at the time, send of the slowest cars first? give them a head start of 2 laps and let it be a close finish between a standard J2 and the Parnell K3!! Would make it much more attractive to the public I reckon and everybody gets a chance to complete his 8 laps.

I have been a loyal racer for 5 consecutive years starting with my F and later the KN. I regret to inform I lost interest. You pretty well know where you will finish on the grid, the atmosphere in the paddock is not nice, for what is supposed to be a weekend of fun. In recent years you are never sure if other categories of cars are "thrown in" with the MMM. The prospect of the International Track is not appealing at all, so I have decided, yet again, not to come this year. Sorry!

Arjen

arjen
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2012 :  14:00:41  Show Profile
Arjen,
I too wouldn't go to Silverstone if it was that far for me. Shame not to see you there though. The last time we were in Holland at Assen we had a great time, is there anything that MMM cars might be involved in (preferably speed events) in 2012.
Very best wishes &

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 29/04/2012 :  15:15:03  Show Profile
As Onno suggested elsewhere, come to Zandvoort, David! We'll have the 'Historic Grand Prix Zandvoort' on 1 & 2 September with (a couple of) demo runs for DVSCC cars in between the official racing. Nothing fancy, mind, I'm guessing most drivers there won't have proper racing licences or wear crash helmets for that matter, but it should be good fun anyway! Free for members of the DVSCC too and I'm sure if you would come over especially, you'd pass for a member even if you're not!

Edited by - Cathelijne on 29/04/2012 18:05:10
Go to Top of Page

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
365 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2012 :  18:06:56  Show Profile
David, you asked about costs. I was told that the HGPCA paid £21,000 to hire the club circuit at Silverstone for the day before the VSCC meeting . With regard to MG Live the cost does seem a bit 'full' even for the GP circuit and in a J2 or PA it is pretty boring . Add to those costs the fuel for the car and tow car , and a days hire of a transponder at £30 , and there goes my monthly state pension . Dick , I am sorry but I must withdraw my 'yes' and hope to see you at VSCC Mallory on the following day . By the way , looking at mt accounts for 1976 ( how sad is that ! ) I see I paid an entry fee of £17.40 for two races at Thruxton on my Norton - Oh for the past; bid time return !
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
705 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2012 :  18:54:48  Show Profile
David Downes rightly asks in an earlier post how the costings break down for the MGCC Silverstone meeting.
Please can we put this question to the Directors at the next Club meeting attended by our Register representatives?

John R
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2012 :  19:30:53  Show Profile
I know Silverstone is in the centre of the country but for spectators it is rubbish. Brands Hatch Indy circuit you can see 99% of the circuit. Rockingham seems like a good alternative. I understand that the “management” of Silverstone keep putting up the prices even though they acknowledge the MG CC is well organized and we are their 3 rd or 4 th biggest earner. I think the MG CC should call their bluff and go somewhere else cheaper and that everybody can see more interesting racing…. Terry A
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2012 :  19:36:48  Show Profile
And can we then also ask why we need to use the GP circuit and not just the Club circuit? Can't be that much fun for BCV8s either!
If we could just have the Club circuit back and get better paddock arrangements (and get rid of the silly stuff that goes on in the arena, duh!), I'm guessing Silverstone isn't all that bad?!

Cheers,
Cat

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000