Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 M type throttle
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

daveroberts

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2012 :  21:43:04  Show Profile
Dear All,
I am new to MMM and know little about M type details.

Is a centre throttle standard or not on an M type? A friend had an M type years ago, and claimed it has a centre throttle. I have seen illustrations showing a right hand throttle, but this might not be original.

Dave Roberts
J 3758

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2012 :  22:01:24  Show Profile
Hi Dave,
I believe the early M types had a centre throttle. This was placed directly under the steering column and required a shallow metal tray let into the floorboards to allow one's feet to clear the column. Later M types have a right hand throttle and this therefore did not require the foot tray. I have a couple of original toe boards that came with my M types and although both cars had right hand throttles the toe board has a hole where the original pedal would have come through and both have identical metal patches over this hole. My guess would be that the factory was either using up toe boards that had been in stock a while or never told the toe board maker to stop drilling the hole for the centre throttle. Having thought about this hole for a moment it would have meant that the throttle linkage would have been different as the throttle pedal would have had to come up through the toe board. My later ones have the throttle pedal suspended so that it comes over the top of the toe board.
I am not sure when the changeover happened but my cars are late 1930 and early 1931. Hope this helps.
Keith
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2012 :  00:27:22  Show Profile
Keith is quite right, I have driven an early M-type and found the throttle position difficult to master. My M2737 has a right-hand side throttle.
Go to Top of Page

Pat Widdup

New Zealand
399 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2012 :  06:03:38  Show Profile
As with all M types the pedals are so small i drive mine with bare feet. Size 10 shoes give no room
Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2012 :  09:11:52  Show Profile
The throttle position was changed at the end of the 1929 model, so far as I can make out when the brake system changed from the Morris cable and rod to H.N.Charles' all cable system. The original Midget was a rebodied Minor, but the Midget gradually acquired its own identity. Personally I think the change was made with the move of assembly to Abingdon, around chassis 2M/750, when the drawing office was finally established.
Hope this information is of help to those who worry about details...but it has to be said that clear change dates were never (even in my time at Abingdon!) a clear-cut thing, changes would be introduced and then old stocks of parts would be located which needed using up, and a reversion to a former "standard" happened.

Mike
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2012 :  09:20:59  Show Profile
According to the 8/33 spare parts list there was a change to the accelerator shaft assembly commencing chassis No 2251. The list also states that the Slow running rod and associated controls also commenced at chassis No 2251. Perhaps this was the change over of the accelerator pedal from central to side. Rich
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2012 :  09:24:22  Show Profile
Later M accelerator shaft assembly -

Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2012 :  10:24:00  Show Profile
As a P-type owner, I am amused and charmed by the way that basic components have been carried through between two almost totally disimilar designs - i.e. the firewall brackets, which look identical. A small bit of continuity perhaps but nice to see.

Graham

"I'd rather be happy than right anyday" Slartybartfast, Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Go to Top of Page

daveroberts

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2012 :  11:15:48  Show Profile
Dear All,

Thank you for the information re. throttle pedal. It seems my friend and I were both right.

Dave.

J3758
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000