Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Non Original MMMs
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  09:30:36  Show Profile
I'm interested in trying to draw/gauge some thoughts from the membership on non original MMMs.
It didn't take me long to realise many J2s became transplanted with other engines.
The original engines are pretty, distinctive bits of engineering.
I don't feel at too much of a loss, however, as the engine is not visually part of the car's aethsetics. With a Harley Davidson motorcycle the engine's design and sound is an essential core element of it's whole.
I see my car as every bit as real a document of the MMM history living on. I'm quite proud as it stands the test of time, has nothing cut off the original chassis and is very active. I'd love to hear some tales of MMM cars trying to survive the dark 50s. Mike Hawke's book features quotes of survivors, some just rolling chassis'. Different hybrids that kept a wide berth of the scrapyard. I've no idea how many MMM cars went through, and are, altered...but as mine chippers along people see an active 1930s MG.

Edited by - spitfire on 22/05/2012 09:33:45

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  14:18:42  Show Profile
Gary
You don't say what engine you have in your J2, however you could do what Fred did with his PA (which he bought with a Ford engine) he slowly brought to gether the bit to build a TTT M engine and bring his PA back to full glory.

Rodney
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  14:27:27  Show Profile
It's a... Spitfire engine.
Yes, I'll get a correct engine at some point. I've designed and had built a three winged house not long back, got shot of the mortgage and have other two wheeled toys. So the J2 is one of many concerns. All bar the bodywork has been totally overhauled to get it into a good bit of kit. I might give it a few years and get settled into MMM world before I start shelling out.

Edited by - spitfire on 22/05/2012 14:28:00
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 22/05/2012 :  21:14:54  Show Profile
Hi Garry,

There are two editions of Practical Motorist from the early sixties that gave full details of fitting a Ford engine into a MMM and converting to hydraulic brakes. There are lots of photos shown. I can remember reading them as a boy (along with the Morgan and Wheatly book) Maybe someone has copies or at least the year and month. I have been looking for them at autojumbles for several years and even though I haven't had any luck with the editions in question I did find a Prctical Motorist with a yellow Fiat 500 on the cover - a car my father ran in the sixties.

Cheers

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  09:29:31  Show Profile
Hi Jan,
These are the sorts of articles that the Register should find and get some copyright clearance to put on the upcoming database.
It is a wee bit blinkered to have this totally original or nothing attitude.
My car came off the same production line as all the others. I believe it was raced in the 1980s, that might have got shot of the engine.
I know of a gentleman with two J2s that have not moved since the 1960s when he blew half the engine through the casing.
We have a healthy selection of old parts being stockpiled and sold to us, or new reproduction parts. There is no problem getting it back to what was originally built. The J2 was developed to become the P. It then had a "properly designed screen". Purists will stick with something badly designed. I notice Phoenix cranks are a sellers point to stress. I presume it runs on modern tyre compounds? I see why people strive for total originality but I also see cars surviving, albeit altered, as part of the romance.
The options of a chassis with a wardrobe on the front!

I've spent a few thousand rebuilding my brakes as cable, not hydraulic. I feel the stance of my car is very much a "lived in" J2.

Edited by - spitfire on 23/05/2012 09:30:47
Go to Top of Page

Martin Warner

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  09:36:39  Show Profile
I believe one of the Practical Motorist articles was reproduced in the Yearbook a few editions back.
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 23/05/2012 :  19:46:55  Show Profile
Here are before and after pictures of my Harley Davidson Servi Car. Introduced in 1931 and in production until 1973. Rescued from "glow car land" and restored to what it should be. Never say die.

Edited by - spitfire on 23/05/2012 19:48:57
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000