Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Two dogs and a Spitfire
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

bigtony12461

United Kingdom
103 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  16:50:10  Show Profile
It was a lovely warm summer’s morning as I suffered the ignominy of being pushed backwards into the line up of cars for the ceremonial picture in front of the Barony Castle Hotel, which rather ominously has an inscription over the main entrance reading “prepare to meet thy god”. My reverse gear has already gone to meet its god.

All proceeded well, the hill by the reservoir posed no problem, the Tibetan Buddhist retreat tempted me not, the road to Moffat rattled my bones, and then... turning into the car park “just past the Esso station”, nothing. The gear lever waddled around in a state of unconnectedness. I waved frantically to people I recognised, knew, and was now thankful to, as I was yet again pushed into place.

Tools out, remote changer off. Oh dear, half the dangly bit at the far end was still connected, half hung precariously in the top of the gearbox. I rescued the errant part before it descended deep into the gearbox and looked at it forlornly; I’ve broken my finger. What now? AA Recovery will save my £50 in petrol for the journey home, but I’m only on day 1 of a lovely weekend in Scotland. Disaster.

A local man, with a white beard and two dogs had been watching my demise, and ambled across to ask what was wrong. I explained my predicament, and he said “Have you been to see Doctor MacLeod?”.
“It’s not my finger that’s broken, it’s this one here...”
“No, Doctor MacLeod has a collection of classic cars; he might be able to help. Come on, I’ll take you there. He has a Spitfire in his garden, and he’s just on the next street”.

The day got more surreal when I saw the Spitfire. Not a Triumph Spitfire, but a Supermarine Spitfire, a full scale model of a Supermarine Spitfire in his garden!

We rang the door bell and Dr MacLeod answered, in mucky overalls and covered in oil, just the regalia the signifies a man of knowledge.
“I have welding gear but I can’t weld. Can you weld?”, said the Doctor.
Damn, we’re half way there, we have the equipment, just need a competent user. I shook my head.
“Try Wilie Draeger up at Beattock. He’s a brilliant welder, races stock cars so has to keep mending them. Mention my name as he always thinks he owes me one as I delivered him”, continued the doctor who was obviously into midwifery too.

Well why not. So the man with the beard (and two dogs) took me back to his house, me armed with my broken finger, remote, and BSF spanners just in case, to drive me to Beattock, about a mile away. Dave was his name, and he was the proud owner of a Ford Model T, so was quite familiar with mechanical failure. I think his wife was suspicious of me as I was armed.

Alas Willie was not there, so our trip to Beattock was in vain.

On our return to the car park we managed to make contact with our recovery man, a fine chap called Kieran, who was at the Esso garage, but already laden with a broken car on his trailer. However, he thought the piece might weld, wasn’t totally happy about the state of the metal, but thought it worth a try.

So back to the Doctor’s we trudged, me still armed with my broken finger, remote, and BSF spanners (just in case), to find the Doctor replacing the engine in his E-type.
“Do you think for a generous donation to your charity that we could borrow your welding gear”, I pathetically enquired.

I helped the Doctor get the welding gear out as he has a bad back, and refused to see his doctor as he “didn’t trust them”. Worrying.

Kieran dismantled aided by Tom, welded, and remantled (I like that made up word), I made the agreed donation to Doctor MacLeod, and within minutes I was reversing like I’d never reversed before. My weekend was saved, and the story of “Two Dogs and a Spitfire” was testament to classic car owners of all marques sticking together.

Footnote
Spitfire shown here http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/south_of_scotland/7941411.stm

george

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  17:12:48  Show Profile
If my dangly bits ever break it will be a tricky to choose between a doctor and a welder ,luckily you had no such choice to make Geoff

Edited by - george on 01/06/2012 17:13:39
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2573 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2012 :  19:46:11  Show Profile
What a great story Tony, beautifully told! Perhaps you should write some more?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 05/06/2012 :  17:13:31  Show Profile
Now thats the sort of story that the general info link is for> Thanks for a great read Tony.

Someone I know did the Peking to Paris a few years ago in his 1929 Bently,his third cluch went in the middle of nowhere, he was sent off to find Boris who made him a new one over night,and would not accept any payment!There arestill some nice people in this troubled world
Rodney
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000