Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2 tonneau cover and hood fitting
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 06/06/2012 :  15:50:54  Show Profile
Ditto.
The MG MMM site has created a "database." A fair bit of information collected in clear photographs. You can see stud length and fascinating handles for tonneau straps to pass through.
Call it data, information.. It's as old as the inscribed word.
Hoods, tonneaux, fasteners etc.. What Collective Knowledge does this Club have to divulge?
I have my hood material today. I want to make one because I like the distinctive design, how it transforms the car.
Logic would suggest a stowed hood covered with a rear tonneau could remain that way in a brief burst of rain. It's folds wouldn't fill with pockets of damp. The covered rear seat area looks tidy.
(Christian, I - like you find it charming and very Arts and Crafts to see the differences in MMM cars. I don't see how the club doesn't have a collection of pictures, heritage documents if you like.)

Edited by - spitfire on 06/06/2012 18:39:04
Go to Top of Page

Christian Cottes

France
114 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  19:04:16  Show Profile
Simon,
Your post of 6/6 is spot on in a technical forum and I apologize for the the last paragraph of my answer. Your question was quite clear and there were some answers of general consideration which I understand did not helped you in any way.
But the fact is that many points remain obscure about cars built 80 years ago, then rebuilt many times since. I have been working on my J2 since 2003, she is running now, and very well, but how many detail still raise issues. I hope you will find a satisfactory solution to your problem, and one as close as possible to original.
Regards,
Christian
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6186 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  20:23:22  Show Profile
Many thanks, Christian. I do appreciate your input and, like you, many of the detail issues still puzzle me. Part of the charm of owning these cars is trying to determine what they were really like originally. In my case, that has an extra edge to it as my Dad bought the car new so trying to put it back the way it was when he picked it up from the MG dealer in Belfast is part of the challenge.

But apart from that, I can vouchsafe that Mrs. J, having been thoroughly soaked, and I mean thoroughly, thoroughly soaked, many years ago in an MG when touring the west of Ireland where the rain really is rain, is not minded to accept another MG without a hood!

But to go back to the original question, there seems no logic to having the longer studs around the rear of the car if it wasn't intended that the hood was permanently attached to them and the tonneau cover then fitted over the hood. Otherwise, why use the longer studs? And for sure if one has a hood fitted, then this seems to be a convenient way of fitting it.
Go to Top of Page

Christian Cottes

France
114 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  21:20:09  Show Profile
Thank you too, Simon, for your kind answer.

I believe that 1) the fabric hood was not permanently attached to the body (but the frame was), 2) the half-tonneau cover had to be removed before fitting the hood, 3) the side curtains were stored in a bag which was nailed at the back of the seat and definitely is original on my car (or was, as it was too worn out to be kept, but I took pictures for reference).

Why my car has two double-length studs above the door hinge still is a mystery, but the body has been painted at least 3 times since delivery and I can't certify that the painters even noticed or took notes about what had to go back and where.

Open motoring even under pouring rain ? I am lucky that Mrs C takes it easy. A long practice of my Amilcar CS, which has no provision for a hood at all did help !

Regards,

Christian
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6186 Posts

Posted - 11/06/2012 :  22:03:10  Show Profile
Christian,

From everything I've read, and been told, there were ten long studs along the back and around the sides of the J2, but two short ones just above the door. That makes sense if the hood is kept fixed to the body as it's only these studs that the tonneau cover fits to and they would need to be the long ones if the hood was also fitted to them. Certainly the original body of my car, which came off the road in 1967, had this configuration.

As for side screens, initially at least, I'm having to omit these as the doors of the new body fitted to my car some fifteen years ago are not quite of the correct profile being too rounded at the top and the sockets for the side screens are going to be difficult to fit neatly. I've decided to tackle that myself with the trimmer once I get the car home next week. But good to know that there's evidence available of how they were stored when I get that far.

You know, I definitely think I need to get out more, preferably in my J2!

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 11/06/2012 22:05:33
Go to Top of Page

Bob Prichard

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  05:54:59  Show Profile
Christian.
You do not have contact details on the website. I am very interested in the bags for the side curtains. Could you please send me photos?
Many thanks
Bob
Go to Top of Page

Christian Cottes

France
114 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  14:15:28  Show Profile
Bob, here is a picture "as found", which may be of general interest.
The bag is stitched (or is the word : nailed ?) to the back of the seat, down to the floor except in the area of the transmission tunnel. It is made of coated fabric (Rexine ?) and traces of the black coating can be seen. There is a separation in the vertical plane, making one storage for each sidescreen.
Hope it helps, regards,
Christian

Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6186 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2012 :  22:30:22  Show Profile
Here's a picture of my car in its youth. Not sure of the date but probably 1934 or 1935. It seems to me that the shadow from the tonneau cover on the body work would suggest that it isn't fastened tightly up against the body,but rather that the hood is underneath it - hence the tonneau cover sits out from the body by the thickness of the hood and thus casts the shadow shown. What say ye?

OK, I admit it, I need to get out more. (And I haven't even started on the contents of the tool roll yet )

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000