Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Half Shafted!
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PeterL

United Kingdom
1731 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  11:44:23  Show Profile
Broke it in France last week. Why? Well, probably my driving... Waiting to turn left (in France) across the traffic, all was clear but just as I started to move a car came whizzing round the corner and I slammed on the brakes. I suspect the change from definitely go to definitely stop was just too much for the old girl and stop she did.

Coming back soon, hopefully, courtesy of the insurance company, but it is a week already and I was supposed to be going up to Scotland tomorrow so it will be in the modern instead. Pity.

Two new half shafts and hubs, seals, gaskets going in, diff will come out for a thorough clean of the casing... anything I have forgotten? new brake linings whilst I am at it...

I have some old brake shoes but they are chipped around the pivot groove, can these be welded up? I see no reason why this should not be possible...

Cheers

P

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  15:25:10  Show Profile
La fatigue du metal.

Edited by - spitfire on 04/06/2012 15:25:54
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
881 Posts

Posted - 04/06/2012 :  18:33:56  Show Profile
When going abroad it's a advantage to carry a spare halfshaft in the car.
OK, I know our space in a MMM car is limited, but if the hub and the shaft is separate, the chance to find room is much better.
It is difficult to locate (not only sundays) a garage with a strong press to press the broken part out, and the new shaft in.
So the separate hub should be one of the worn kind, in which you can hammer the shaft easy on the road, and the wheel-spinner should have a hole drilled, so that it can be safety-wired on a spoke, in case you have to use it on the "wrong" side.
This temporary repair several times saved my day !

When the shaft fractures inside the diff, it is a lot more trouble, as only on a 4 star diff there is the center hole, through which you can use a long steel rod from the opposite side to push out the broken part.
Also the steel chips can arise a problem, and should flushed out!

Yes surely, the halfshafts should be checked now and then, but not always you are lucky to catch one in the right moment as the one on the picture below !!

Gerhard

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000