Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Too many postings
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1579 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2012 :  18:00:43  Show Profile
You know who you are, please desist.
Respectfully and with kindest regards.

paul55

Luxembourg
732 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2012 :  18:53:34  Show Profile
Bruce,
I have made several postings today regarding a PA gearbox,do you mean me? Sorry if I have upset you.
Paul.
Go to Top of Page

Wyn Lewis

United Kingdom
153 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2012 :  19:23:35  Show Profile
I'm sure it doesn't relate to you Paul. I will be watching this thread though as I suspect it could be interesting. On a separate note, I'm just back from the VSCC meeting at Pembrey. Well done all MG entrants.
Go to Top of Page

paul55

Luxembourg
732 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2012 :  19:25:37  Show Profile
Cheers Wyn, but someone has put a bee in Bruce's bonnet. I'll be watching it as well!
Paul.
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1059 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2012 :  19:42:25  Show Profile
You do not have to read them.
A bit like saying there is only cr@p on TV, you can turn it off

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1579 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2012 :  20:28:24  Show Profile
Onno,
How right you are , but it still irritates.

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1059 Posts

Posted - 15/07/2012 :  22:49:24  Show Profile
I decided a few years ago not to let things people put on the internet bugg me.
Can't say I always live by it but it works 90% of the time ;-)

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3682 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2012 :  08:38:07  Show Profile
Good morning Bruce and all other Triple-M chums.

How should I put this? I don't know precisely what triggered Bruce's post, but it has helped me add a new section to my emerging thesis which, if it had a title, would be named: "The Internet: delight or despair?

By this I mean that the internet is a potent resource, but it's also a potentially corrosive medium. In the context of a fraternity such as ours it would be nice to feel that written exchanges could be conducted with courtesy and in accordance with that spirit which unites us all.

By and large that is so, but of course - thinking broadly here - some postings are made hastily and erroneously, while some may contain opinions with which some of us disagree. But I like to believe that we all come here with a common aim, namely that of sharing enlightenment.

So therefore perhaps all of us should keep in mind a couple of principles derived from recent and very distant history:

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it"
- Evelyn Beatrice Hall's biography of Voltaire - 1906

and

"a lie will go round the world while truth is pulling its boots on" - Shakespeare - Henry IV Part II (16th century) - and he derived it from Virgil's Aeneid (29-19 BC)

So there's really nothing new in this at all!

Best wishes
Dick Morbey

Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
713 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2012 :  09:36:32  Show Profile
Dick,
Sage words indeed and beautifully crafted.
Keith
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1059 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2012 :  10:01:09  Show Profile
Dick
I have only one thing to add to that.

"the right to say anything does not mean you should"

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2012 :  10:03:02  Show Profile
Hi all on this Merry go Round!
I too, was intrigued by Bruce's comment.
I wasn't sure where the niggle emanated from.

Can't members with a well sorted car, all original, understand the frustration of trying to RECOGNISE what you have (bought) before you?

You(have to)come this site, flagged up as the fountain of knowledge for the MMM owner.
Half the information is locked away in members' heads and half of it is being directed to another site.

It is this "cap in hand" HAVING to ask that produces this instance! None of us want to join a club just to ponce information. Most of us are pretty adept at building, taking apart and rebuilding Our own playthings.

I like Dick's quotes on the matter. The corrosive observation is spot on as well. Through our discussions we confront everyone's perception of what is right and proper.
Like a postman walking across your front garden to go next door, a boiling red mist clouds our rose tinted specs!
I am in no doubt that Bruce was trying to have a lie down after I kept wittering on about an MMM photo database.
I cannot believe the hours and days I have wasted of my life on my little monster of a car.
They do have a habit of sucking every drop of sanity out of our laid back souls.
You can be standing on a beautiful beach but the grain of sand stuck between your teeth is occupying all of your senses.
One man may be sitting having Sunday lunch, his family around him...a gleaming P type on the sunlit drive in in a manicured garden. Whilst another is twisted and streaked, combat style with the grease of a dozen greasenipples, trying to scr@pe a spring washer from behind some bowden cable. **** and clay, ain't they!
Glad we're all human!
And I agree with Onno's last comment. I have the greatest admiration for our friends overseas who love our British cars. I have a house the other side of the world. It is much more important to have "friends" who will help you UK side, understand when you can't just pop down the road and see someone to sort an issue.

Edited by - spitfire on 16/07/2012 10:28:34
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2012 :  10:09:49  Show Profile
Q.E.D.
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2012 :  10:43:32  Show Profile
Hey Spit, How many hours and days can you have "wasted on your little monster of a car". You have only owned it for six months. Hardly a life-time.

I think that the late Denis Thatcher got it right (even if some of you thought that his missus didn't). He said that he preferred to keep his mouth shut and be thought by some to be a fool, rather than to open it and thus remove all doubt."

Wise words indeed.

I could also add that the length of some postings seems to be inversely proportional to the quality of what is said.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3413 Posts

Posted - 16/07/2012 :  14:21:55  Show Profile
I think the time has come to draw this thread to a close
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked