Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 R-type 16inch models history ?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gerhard Maier

Germany
881 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2012 :  11:38:06  Show Profile
Recently there was a fascinating R-type model sold in ebay.
Overall length 16 inches, all metal, propshaft drives the rear wheels, hand brake worked all the drum brakes, front and rear suspension, the rocker cover is removable, all the steering works!

So it was very detailed, and obviously made long ago by a really competent engineering model maker. There are minor faults and missing parts after the years, and the model surely will benefit from a skilled new owner.

About 30 years ago the Haris brothers from Budapest created two complete R-type models of a similar size, but this model now in ebay in all likelihood never had a body on it.

So I wonder if a forum member can shed some light to the history of that rare MMM model, and if possibly the new owner is a reader of this forum, it would be amazing to see some detailed photos of that masterpiece !

Gerhard

LewPalmer

USA
3251 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2012 :  14:44:31  Show Profile
The Haris brothers were commissioned by Mike Sarvas some years ago to build the R-type you mention. Mike owned the final product (see photo in Mike Ellman Brown's "MG Collectibles"). My understanding that three were built. One went to Mike, one went into the Haris brothers collection/museum, and I own the third. Mine is complete in every detail but is not painted, but rather is in copper/bronze natural finish. It is certainly possible that an uncompleted copy was built, perhaps as a prototype?

Lew Palmer
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000