Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Spot the car infront?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2012 :  12:39:28  Show Profile
Another one from the old photo archives, Any ideas for who is leading Dads J2 at poss Silverstone,1978?

Reg I think reads LS 8752?

Thanks

M

and a little later out in front!

Mark Dolton

Edited by - Dolts on 23/08/2012 12:47:17

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2012 :  16:01:33  Show Profile
Mark. The car in front of your dad is PA 1698 Reg. US8752 & driven by Nigel Reilly. Cannot say which year though. Ray Masters
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2012 :  17:58:54  Show Profile
Mark, 1974 I think:

- Just look at those skid marks!

JH
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 23/08/2012 :  21:52:05  Show Profile
Yeah they look a bit worrying, must have been one hell of a corner before all the changes.

Mark Dolton
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
711 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2012 :  09:18:48  Show Profile
I think it was one of the best racing corners to watch sitting in the grandstand watching the cars coming towards you at speed and then taking the corner which, as I remember, was slightly more than 90 degrees. In those far off days when the cars racing tended to be very different from each other it was magic watching vintage Bentleys overtaking everything on the straight but having to brake early to slow the massive weight of the car for the corner. At this point all sorts of lighweight cars, MGs, 3 wheeled Morgans, Austin Ulsters etc would be able to brake much later from their lower speeds and overtake on the corner right in front of the grandstand only to be ovetaken again on the start/finish straight. This would go on lap after lap.
Happy days or am I dreaming?
Keith
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2012 :  09:54:48  Show Profile
Certainly made for a quick lap. Our records show a 1.26.0 in 1978 in the J2, and then a 1.16.5 in 1987 in the N special. When did the track, the old club circuit change?

Whats the quickest triple M lap time on the old club circuit?

Mark Dolton

Edited by - Dolts on 24/08/2012 09:55:15
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2012 :  14:26:00  Show Profile
One of the quickest guys , if not the quickest, in those days was Andy McLellen in his N-type special. I was told once that I had clocked a 1min 14 something in the MBMG . This I never confirmed. I know a 1min 16 point something secs. was clocked on a few occassions but Andy was generally quicker . What happened to his car ,I wonder ?.
It is great to see these old photos from the 60s & 70s on the forum.

Edited by - Ray Masters on 24/08/2012 14:29:29
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 24/08/2012 :  14:44:23  Show Profile
Hey Ray, the N Type i referred to was Andys car, Dad had it after him. He never quite managed Andys hair rasing times, that car was quick if a little scary!!

In Andys hands, For 1970 the car was fitted with a "P" type Marshal 75, belt driven, running at 1.5 times engine speed, but delivering no more than 8 psi on petrol.

Recorded times
Crystal Palace 1m10.0s,
Castle Combe 1m26s,
Brands Hatch 1m3.8s,
Silverstone Club 1m13.6s

Andy claimed a maximum timed speed for the car of 114mph, and a best Silverstone club time of 1m11.8s. Unfortunately I have no written record of this.

Check out the Pictures part of this website. Click Historical Photos and NA. You will see a classic shot of Andy sideways ont he grass coming out of Woodcote in its lime green rounded nose body!

Andy entered the car at the BRDC Tourist Trophy meeting in the JCB Historic championship race (pre 1958 all comers) on the Grand Prix circuit with no chicane (last year), and recorded a fastest lap of 1m 58.6s. Has any other MMM MG ever broken 2 minutes on the GP circuit? Perhaps Sid Beer's monoposto K3?

The car when we had it

Mark Dolton

Edited by - Dolts on 24/08/2012 14:51:34
Go to Top of Page

Mike Pancheri

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2012 :  11:06:06  Show Profile
The white PA in the photos is indeed US8752 being driven by Nigel Reilly. Mark, if you know what year this was, I would be very interested. I imagine it was an MGCC event rather than VSCC. Nigel owned the car from the early sixties when he was a student in London, until I bought it in January 2003. With it came some other pictures early in Nigel's ownership, including when it still had swept wings. Apart from that, it looks very much the same today as it did in the photos (i.e badly in need of some cosmetic tidying!)

Michael A Pancheri
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2012 :  11:21:06  Show Profile
Hey great stuff. Will you be bringing it out to play again!!!

Jeremey Hawke reckons 1974 although I cant find records of Dad in 1974 at all!

I thought 78 certainly looks like an MG event

Thanks

Mark Dolton
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2012 :  13:10:17  Show Profile
Yes, I can confirm that it's the 1974 MGCC Silverstone meeting. This is based on my own photo of J2396 (posted above)from that same event. Even the bloke in the flat cap hasn't moved between the pictures. I could check the car Nos in the event programme, but there realy isn't the need.

JH
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2012 :  13:25:27  Show Profile
Jeremy do you have the results? I missing that one!!

Mark Dolton
Go to Top of Page

Mike Pancheri

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2012 :  19:51:03  Show Profile
My last season racing was 1975, so probably no more circuit racing. I'm building up a PB special which, if I ever finish it, I might like to sprint and hill-climb. I guessed it was an MGCC meeting as I think at that time the VSCC was still sniffy about Triple-Ms, at least I don't recall ever racing against any. Anyway, I shall try to sell US this winter, so no more competition in my hands, even though she is at last running really nicely. Mike Pancheri

Michael A Pancheri
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2012 :  19:17:34  Show Profile
Mark - of course I have the results (courtesy of he who filed absolutely everything).

At first glance the pre-55 race looks a little tame with only 11 MMMs:

MMM Non starters were: 17 Mike Zimmerman N Type & 9 Mike Alison NA

But, wait for it; we had the MMM race itself as well:

Non starters were: 10 Dermot Reynolds J2, 135 Tony Miles PB & 139 Mike Edmonson C/R.

Also there was a healthy lot of MMMs doing one or other of the High Speed Trials as well (all the MMM non starters from the 2 races except Mike Alison, did so because they retired from one of the HSTs, having suffered some misfortune.

OK, so the races were only 5 laps, but the HSTs were 30 mins & there were 2 of them. Some MMMers filled their boots & did HST, Pre-55 & MMM races, "Glory Days" indeed (to paraphrase Spingsteen).

The photos are from the MMM race as Tony did pre-55 & MMM races, whilst Dad did HST & MMM (whilst the photographer may have stayed on the same spot, I'll bet the bloke in the flat cap didn't stand still all afternoon).

JH

Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2012 :  19:21:56  Show Profile
Ok, I've just spotted the obvious mistake - I've scanned the 73 results by mistake. The 74 results will follow after a short interlude for fish, chips & beer!
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2012 :  19:44:58  Show Profile
Fab keep em coming!!!! You can post every one if you like

What a great line up!!

Mark Dolton
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked