Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Magna?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 27/08/2012 :  01:31:10  Show Profile
Sadly doesn't help me. No number of that likeness listed in the register files I'm afraid.

Regards

Robin

J2 J3666
Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 28/08/2012 :  11:21:08  Show Profile
UF 9603 is a Brighton CB registration district, and these records are kept at the East Sussex record Office, The Maltings, Castle Precints, Lewes, East Sussex BN7 1YT. Tel: 01273 482349.
So if anybody is in the area and could call, they may be able to find the answer as to the identity of the car. There may be some other long lost MGs in the similar number sequence.

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2012 :  10:34:28  Show Profile
Called in at The Maltings, Lewes yesterday to check up on UF9603. Sorry guys, but this Reg Number was allocated to a 14hp Riley owned by a Mr E L Gordon of 17 Brunswick Terrace, Hove on the 16th February 1933. (Just remembered that years ago, I used to live at 3 Brunswick Terrace.) So, it looks as if the Reg Number of the Magna is incorrect.

Rather than waste my day entirely, I looked though the ledger covering the period 16th March 1932 to 17th May 1933 and found seventeen M.G.s. Unfortunately, the records are very skimpy with no chassis numbers, no RAC HP Rating nor Model Type - usually just shwn as M.G. However, for what it is worth I have supplied details of these seventeen cars to our Registrar.

Interestingly enough, four of the Reg Numbers are shown in the latest edition of the MMM Register as having survived, and therefore, for what it is worth, here are the names and addresses of the first owners of these four,

UF8739. Supplied by University Motors to Arnold Nankivell of 23 Regency Square, Brighton on the 31st May 1932. This is M Type 2M3441, currently owned by J P Korving.

UF8788. Supplied by and registered in the name of Welfords, 38 St James' Street, Brighton on the 10th June 1932. This is another M Type 2M3140 currently owned by C R French.

UF9795. Supplied by G Newman to Vic gunn, 22 Gloucester Road, Brighton on the 29th March 1933. This is a J2 J2158 currently owned by K Rhodes.

UF9865. Supplied by Manns Motors to N A F Hill, 45 Regency Square, Brighton on the 12th April 1933. This is a J1 J0356. Current owner not known as at the 29th March 2006.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
428 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2012 :  11:38:58  Show Profile
Wow - my M-Type is 2M3440 - missed by one - does this mean it's a 1932 car ?. All the history has it as 1931 made.

Tony S.

We are here for a good time, not a long time !.
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2012 :  11:48:35  Show Profile
Tony

Have you got your chassis file? If not you may be able to buy a copy from the Club. John Inness is your man johninness@mgcc.co.uk.

I am a great fan of chassis files as they usually give all the info about the car and the first owner so you would know for sure the date your car was built, the date it left the factory and to whom it went. The special bodied cars have less info unfortunately.

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2012 :  15:48:35  Show Profile
Tony S
Your car is definatly 1932 - Mine is 3338 - a close relation to yours and was first registered in May 1932
Tony M
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2012 :  20:21:44  Show Profile
I dont think there would necessarily be a correlation between build date and date of first registration. With my M, it was clearly a build to order, so the car was registered within a few days of leaving the factory. A car put 'speculatively' into a dealers stock may have hung around a while before sold and registered.. That's based on knowledge from another manufacturer's experience, so may *not* apply to MG?

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
428 Posts

Posted - 31/08/2012 :  20:37:17  Show Profile
Thanks Peter, I have sent John an email.

Tony

We are here for a good time, not a long time !.
Go to Top of Page

fmagna

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2012 :  13:52:01  Show Profile
Hi folks!
Just to add my tupporth to this search...!
We appear to have a 'bitza' car here with bits from different models!
The apron does indeed seem to be an 'L' type one but there's a 'v' shaped tie-rod between the headlights as on the 'F' type - 'L' types had brackets to the sides of the radiator surround.
By the way the rear of the 'L2' chassis frame is not the same as the tapered and rounded off one of the 'F' type but parrallel/square as you would expect with the extension cut off! Pity we can't see clearly enough in the first photo!
Ian
Go to Top of Page

fmagna

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2013 :  20:28:57  Show Profile
Dear all

Please note that the website address for the F Type Registry is now www.fmagna.org.uk

Ian
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000