Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG VA
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Paolo Bordini

Italy
44 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2012 :  16:14:42  Show Profile
My apologies for not being able to be at the informal meeting Saturday at Goodwood Revival.
I am trying to help two friends in Italy for their MG VA, they do not write English.
I understand this is not the appropriate forum, but may be somebody can give some information about the VA.
1) The steering box of Franco VA Tourer is very loose, I have driven his car and you need to continuously rectify the direction, a bit frightening, much worse of the several TC I have driven.
Any suggestion either for an overhauled box or a transplant or some miracle adjustment that only the wizards of the MG community may know.
2) The VA DHC of Luciano is in need of a complete rebuilding and he would need to have access to the MG VA Workshop Manual, to be downloaded from an appropriate site or to get
a photocopy as the case may be.
Paolo Bordini
PB0589

George Wilder

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 27/09/2012 :  20:02:13  Show Profile
Paolo
I have alerted this evening by email the Chairman of the SVW (VA) Register of your need for assistance
George Wilder

Edited by - George Wilder on 27/09/2012 20:03:39
Go to Top of Page

Paolo Bordini

Italy
44 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2012 :  00:38:46  Show Profile
Thank you George
very kind of you for your co-operation in this matter
Paolo
Go to Top of Page

George Wilder

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2012 :  11:43:30  Show Profile
From Jim Andrews Chairman SVW Rregister

George

My initial observation is that Franco may need to remove some shims from the steering box, the other prime cause of steering problems is installing the wedges the wrong way round between the front axle and the springs.
The SVW Register has an index of articles on its website http://www.svwregister.co.uk/ which we can supply copies of. If Paolo can advise us what has been tried or replaced on the steering we may be able sort out the most suitable article if appropriate.

The SVW Register can supply Luciano a VA manual for £14.50 plus post and packing and the credit card fee.

As I cannot access the MMM forum could you please contact Paolo and ask him to email me directly on behalf of Franco and Luciana.

Kind Regards
Jim

Jim's email is (replace AT with @) jimrhodaATbtinternet.com
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2012 :  15:38:37  Show Profile
Are you sure that the chrome or stainless outer tube of the steering column is located into the end of the steering box. If it isn't then the box will tend to move alarmingly when the steering wheel is moved. The outer tube helps to locate the steering box.
Tony
[VA owner] - dare I mention this in this hallowed forum?
Go to Top of Page

Paolo Bordini

Italy
44 Posts

Posted - 28/09/2012 :  17:00:33  Show Profile
Thank you to both Jim Andrews and Tony.
Please consider I have to contact my two friends Franco (VA Tourer) and Luciano (VA DHC) before I can reply with some consistent piece of news.
Both are not familiar with the web, so it may take some time.
Paolo
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
427 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2012 :  01:40:31  Show Profile
Hi Paolo, I also have a VA Tourer as well as the M-Type. I an rebuilding the VA front end currently, so would be happy to offer support to your VA friends (but I don't speak Italian).

Wheel alignment (both ends) is very important with skinny tyred cars !

cheers

Tony

We are here for a good time, not a long time !.
Go to Top of Page

Paolo Bordini

Italy
44 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2012 :  07:19:50  Show Profile
Thank you Tony
I will ask Franco (MG VA Tourer) to keep this concept in mind.
By the way what are the WEDGES quoted in a previous conversation within the front assembly.
I think is time now to show a VA picture.
A big CIAO to all
Paolo

Go to Top of Page

Paolo Bordini

Italy
44 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2012 :  07:22:17  Show Profile
Sorry I have attached the wrong picture, of course this is not a VA. Will post the right one as soon I find it.
Ciao to all
Paolo
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
427 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2012 :  07:49:33  Show Profile
Oooh - you had me worried there for a minute !.

We are here for a good time, not a long time !.
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 29/09/2012 :  16:59:55  Show Profile
Tony of PreWarMG
There can't be too many of us crazy enough to own a VA and and an M-type!!!
I know of one other guy in the UK and probably Curtis Beck in the USA - but then he probably has one of just about every letter used!
Maybe we should start off line mailing to each other, as we cry in our respective beers?
Tony M
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  11:16:01  Show Profile
Paulo,

I am surprised that none of our resident experts (ex = has-been, spurt = a drip under pressure !. I'm not sure whether that can be translated into Italian) has provided the answer to your query "What are WEDGES", so you will have to put up with my comments. Some, but not all models of M.G. have metal taper packing pieces fitted between the front springs and the front axle to influence castor angle, which has an enormous affect on steering wander. Originally these were made from some awful soft metal which bio-degrades into aluminium powder after 50 or so years. So, new ones could well be needed. In the case of the VA the amount of packing is one and a half degrees, but other models use a variety of different measurements, whilst some models have no extra wedges at all, and the amount of tilt is built into the axle itself.

If you do a search on "castor angle", remembering to tick the archives button, you will come up with everything anyone could ever want to know about the subject including the need to fit the taper in the correct way.

Best wishes,

Colin B.

Edited by - Colin Butchers on 01/10/2012 11:20:01
Go to Top of Page

Paolo Bordini

Italy
44 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  17:41:15  Show Profile
Hi Colin
may be at this point you are the expert (primary meaning)!. Good to understand the concept of WEDGES, I will pass the information to Franco to attend the contact between the front axle and the road springs. May be you can also give a clue where in the forum should I search for castor angle, in order to find all the science for this matter. By the way I think I have made an intrusion in this Triple M discussion forum, where most of the MG sports/racing fellows are not interested in the bread and butter VA. At any rate I am trying again to enclose a picture of Franco's VA, if I can detect it from the thousand of mini stamp size images from my photo archive.
Thank you Colin for your help.
Cheers
Paolo

Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 01/10/2012 :  19:56:10  Show Profile
Paolo,

I for one would love to have a VA Tourer, if I could afford one along with the other cars. While I can't speak for everyone else, although this forum is really for Triple M cars, I suspect quite a few of us welcome the odd "intrusion" by other pre-war models.

All the best,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 02/10/2012 :  18:28:35  Show Profile
Paulo,

Go to the top of this page where it says in black "TRIPLE-M REGISTER FORUMS".

Click on the word SEARCH at the right-hand end of the next line down. You will need to be properly Logged-In to get into the Search system.

When the SEARCH window drops down, type "Castor Angle" where it says Search For.

Click on the Archive Posts button.

Hit "Search" at the bottom of the Window.

With any luck, you will then get masses of entries all relevant to the problem of steering wander and what can be done to correct this,

Best of luck,
Colin B.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000