Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2 headlight colour
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2012 :  17:39:23  Show Profile
OK, MMM Groupies (as mgtommm in sunny oHIo would say),

What evidence do we have that J2 headlights were painted to match the colour scheme of the car? My newly refurbished Rotax K624 headlights are nearly ready and I'm wondering whether to abandon the black colour scheme of my current Lucas L140s and go green (as in body colour). I had them left black as I felt they looked more 'vintage' but wonder should I do the same with the Rotax ones?

What say ye?

EDIT: spelling correction

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 21/11/2012 18:00:06

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2012 :  18:16:52  Show Profile
Pretty sure my L140s are the darker green on J3485, it appears to be the original paint on the original lamps but you never know...

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2012 :  04:54:21  Show Profile
Thanks, Peter. We have a few differences in spec as your car is a duo tone swept wing with Lucas lights and mine is a monotone cycle wing with Rotax lights! Might that have had any effect on things I wonder? What about your sidelights? Are they painted or chrome?

EDIT: Spelling again!

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 22/11/2012 04:54:59
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2012 :  07:44:10  Show Profile
Painted...

Headlamp rims are painted too...

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2012 :  09:39:29  Show Profile
Hmm...painted headlight rims would surely not be original which perhaps casts doubt on the provenance of the painted headlights themselves?
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2012 :  10:50:07  Show Profile
Simon on standard production J2's the headlamp shells ( including the badges ) were painted body colour as was also the sidelight body and badge. The rims were chrome plated. Judging by original cars and headlamps I have seen over the years I think MG took the lamps as supplied by Rotax or Lucas and masked off the rims then painted the whole thing body colour. You can usually see on original lamps that the inner edge of the shell where the rim fits were not painted colour but still makers black.

On my first J2 which was very original and still had its original paint the badges looked chrome because the paint had come off or been polished off over the years.

It must however be remembered that people could order things to be different and I have no doubt that some people ordered chrome headlamps and sidelights.You can often see them in original photos.

I also believe that if larger or later headlamps ( 140's or 150's to replace early Rotax lamps ) were subsequently fitted which was quite a common mod in period, they were supplied by Lucas with black painted shells and were often fitted as supplied. Hence you may also find pictures of cars with larger or later headlamps painted black.I have also seen pitures of coachbuilt cars that appear to have black headlamps and sidelights presumably again fitted as supplied.

I guess that at the end of the day you can do whatever pleases you the most. Personally I rather like the lamps painted in body colour.

TH
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2012 :  11:03:45  Show Profile
I am always a little wary about these details on my J as there is evidence of a significant front end bump! Maybe the front wings, radiator and headlamps were all replaced at some time...

Mind you, I am now used to the painted rims and like them, makes the car look distinctive. Wouldn't have painted them specially, though.

Cheers

P

Edited by - PeterL on 22/11/2012 11:24:24
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2012 :  11:06:57  Show Profile
Many thanks, Terry. I hadn't contemplated opting for chrome, but am vacillating between black and body colour. Your comment about MG just masking the rims makes sense as dismantling the lights to paint them would be very labour intensive. And I've heard it said that the body colour lights are unique to the J and that other models had either black or chrome. Can you comment on that?
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2012 :  12:30:02  Show Profile
L types were also body colour and I think F types but David Bass might comment as to whether all F type lamps were finished that way.

TH
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2012 :  13:33:24  Show Profile
Thanks again, Terry. Something to ponder on over the weekend.
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2012 :  16:37:13  Show Profile
I agree with everything Terry H has said for the J’s and I think this could well apply to the L1 and L2’s. However for the L1 Continental Coupe the L 150’s were definitely Chrome….. Terry A (The other Terry)
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6137 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2012 :  19:05:15  Show Profile
Thanks again, Terry and Terry,

When I look again at the photos of my car in its youth, it would indeed seem that the headlights were not black. In this photo the headlights shells are clearly not the same tone as either the black dials of the instruments or the black hood of the adjacent car.

But none of the photos show the Rotax badges clearly enough to determine whether they were painted or not. But it does sound plausible that only the rims were masked off and the rest of the lamp was painted. Simple and inexpensive.
Go to Top of Page

dbass

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2012 :  21:02:51  Show Profile
Terry, my knowledge of F types is i'm afraid very limited only 7 years experience unlike many owners with a lifetimes knowledge but F type "guru" Tim Edwards did i believe teach me that F types had body coloured sdelight and headlamp bodies with chrome rims as standard.

Regards David (F0708)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000