Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 M Type picture
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2012 :  13:27:14  Show Profile
Hi Gary,

I thought the Routemasters had pre-selector gears?

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2012 :  16:18:57  Show Profile
You're probably right!
Work with a fellow who learnt on what must have been its predecessor!
An evocative sound though, the chatter of a full to bursting bus(remember them)
Hearing that break in pitch, then clank, and that staccato whine as it crawled up the hill.
Went on Google to find what crash gearbox double deckers existed. Got onto a forum about where you learnt to double declutch. Bottom of page "My friend had an MG J2 (1930s) that was changed to a Ford van engine with crash box. As the originals had upright dynamos that filled with oil. Suppose the MOT tests got rid of all them." .....

Edited by - spitfire on 10/12/2012 17:04:08
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3376 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2012 :  18:26:27  Show Profile
Even though the whole airfield has been ploughed up, you can just see the marks on the ground where the runways of Downham Market used to be on Google Earth. Go to N52 deg.36' 33.11" E0 deg.24'35.92" with an eye elevation of around 10,000'
That spot is the intersection of 09-27 and 16-34. These marks are invisible from the surface and I believe are the result of a variation in the drainage of the soil that has been disturbed to a significant depth. Then in street view, go to the intersection of Bexwell Lane and the A1122 and look north and there at least two Nissen huts visible. Might one of these be the hut in the picture I wonder?
Nick
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2542 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2012 :  19:39:49  Show Profile
Just to be pedantic, The Stirling was named after the Scottish city, not the British currency.
Dave
Go to Top of Page

Alan Bertram

United Kingdom
199 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2012 :  20:11:13  Show Profile
I found this link interesting the pictures show what remained of the Downham Market Aerodrome, including some nissen huts, a few years ago in 1999.

http://www.hellzapoppin.demon.co.uk/downham.htm

Alan
Go to Top of Page

leafrancis14

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2012 :  20:45:16  Show Profile
If you want to know a bit more about Short Stirlings and the men that flew in them, search for "J A Martin DFC" on google and it will bring up links to some articles on the BBC.

This is my much missed Uncle Jack who sadly died a couple of years ago.

It's impossible to imagine what it must have been like living with the 50% casualty rate. He used to tell me about new crews that arrived, flew, didn't return, and he never even found out their names.

Barny Creaser

(Wellingborough)
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000