Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Magnette Airline Coupe
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

PreWarMG

Australia
437 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2012 :  09:28:04  Show Profile
Going to the auction block in January:-

http://www.bonhams.com/auctions/20582/lot/358/

I have no interest in the car or the auction house, but it could fit in my Xmas Stocking.

We are here for a good time, not a long time !.

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3244 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2012 :  11:09:31  Show Profile
I believe this is the car which was rebuilt after a fire? If it is the car then I understand the body was rebuilt using an aluminium frame?

Looks a bit over restored with those chromed wheels!

George
L2023 and NA0960
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
437 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2012 :  12:10:50  Show Profile
Borrani no less too - and at great expense - but why ?.
Would the trafficator switch on the dash centre be original too ?.

Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3682 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2012 :  12:12:29  Show Profile
And the front wing seems to have lost some of the metalwork at the lower end - the chassis and the shiny fittings thereon seem rather exposed!

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
437 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2012 :  12:14:38  Show Profile
There was a thread on this forum back in 2010 discussing the designer of the Airline Coupe - one Henry W Allingham. The research seems to have stalled - does anyone have any further information on this chap since 2010 ?.

Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3682 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2012 :  14:25:18  Show Profile
Tony

If you are a subscriber to the Bulletin (the Dec 2012 issue of which may still be en route to Australia?) you'll see an article by Lew Palmer on this very subject!

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3251 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2012 :  15:20:22  Show Profile
I'm afraid this piece of tin has become the darling of the collector/auction house circuit. Too bad, as when in the hands of Dave Lawley, it was a nice unpretentious car. And yes, it is built on an aluminum tube body frame after a 1976 fire while owned by Reed Yates. There were two bodies built at the same time, one of which was up for sale last year in the UK.

Lew Palmer

Edited by - LewPalmer on 21/12/2012 15:20:45
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2012 :  16:26:20  Show Profile
HENRY W. ALLINGHAM. (Not Henry Allingham, war veteran/oldest man etc.)
1921.Was a founder and Sales Manager of Chalmer and Hoyer.
They dealt with producing cost effective, volume sales of car bodies to companies.
One factory was at Poole, Dorset.
MORRIS was their largest client. They built two enclosed Morris Oxfords for the Morris Mo.Co.
ALLINGHAM spent some time studying how to assemble a cellulose paint spraying plant in the USA.
A new manner of painting.

1925. Morris had been establishing their pressed steel plant. This excluded Allingham's company of its lifeblood. They did some work for bus construction but had to restructure.
The company became Chalmer and HoyAL (the AL for Allingham)
They built...Woleseley Hornets, Austin 7, and MGs.

1931. Chalmer and Hoyal was sold to John Charles & Co.
1931. H W Allingham started
ALLINGHAM DESIGN of 10 Stratford Place, London NW1.
They designed...Vauxhall- Airline Coupe on Light 6 and DX chassis. 27hp Coupe de Ville.
For Rover, the 6 Drophead.
For MG, The MG Allingham coupe, built by Whittingham & Mitchell.
MG P and N Airlines, built by Carbodies.

Allingham formed VEHICLE DEVELOPMENTS- With AMBI BUDD, Berlin,Germany.
AMBI (Arthur Mueller Building and Industrial)On the site of the Jaray Rumpler "aerodynamic car" factory.(Proper aerodynamic- designed by windtunnel and NOT AIRLINE, which is a STYLING EXERCISE.
AND BUDD... American Edward G Budd Manufacturing Co.
This was the company that INTRODUCED ALL STEEL car body manufacture to Germany.
They produced pressed steel door posts for drophead coupes...
Used on Austin 12, Ford, Morris, Vauxhall and Woleseley.
AMBI BUDD were involved with setting up Opel, Brandenburg and Ford, Cologne /Koln. Also alot of German military vehicles post 1936. I presume they were "busy." After the war the factory lay on the Soviet side and had a new future.
OF THE OTHER HENRY ALLINGHAM-
An engineer at Thorns, Vickers General Motors and HJM car body builders.
In 1934 he started designing car bodies for Ford at Dagenham, when 38 years old. He worked there until his retiement in 1960.

Edited by - spitfire on 21/12/2012 17:34:20
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
437 Posts

Posted - 21/12/2012 :  20:15:10  Show Profile
Thanks Everyone, I must check my subscription - I can't recall.

Work is over for this year, so time available for MG's again.

Seasons Greetings

Go to Top of Page

RYates

USA
68 Posts

Posted - 22/12/2012 :  13:42:55  Show Profile
No it is NOT built an an aluminium frame, tubular or otherwise. No such modern material as that. Good, old fashioned angle iron. Made by Peele's of Kingston (upon Thames) in '78/'79. Peter Warne was having a P type Airline body made up (wonder what became of that?) and kindly offered to organize another one for me. Choice of angle iron or ash. The ash cost twice as much, so I opted for iron. Regretted it from the start, which is why I eventually sold the car to Dave. Artist that he is, he did a smashing job with the restoration.
Go to Top of Page

gordclark

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2012 :  03:51:07  Show Profile
I know Dave Lawley quite well. He rearely comes on to this forum, but he has offered his comments, as follows:-

" ... As for the aluminum frame, I see Read Yates has described what he ordered, when he had the tub built. I will add that the tub he ordered was in basic form and required very much re-working. While the basic angle iron framework was kept I added much wood where needed for such things as to fasten upholstery and door and window fittings. There was also a lot of detail metalwork needed to make the aluminum coach panels and door skins have proper fit and finish.

I have no idea why the extra non period signal switch was added as the original individual trafficator switches were functional. Also the addition of hydraulic brakes was unnecessary because the original cable brakes were adequate. The Borani chrome wheels addition was nothing more than unnecessary 'tarting-up' which in my opinion detracts from the period design. I will not comment on the choice of colour".

Dave has authorzed me to publish this.

Gord Clark
Rockburn, Qué.
Go to Top of Page

gordclark

Canada
170 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2012 :  03:57:35  Show Profile
I should clarify why I got involved in this. I alerted Dave to the posted item, in the course of questioning him about the authenticity of adding Borrani wheels. His reply is what he authorized me to post.

gac
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 06/01/2013 :  17:37:42  Show Profile
Dave Lawley, who provided some of the illustrations for The (excellent) Kimber Centenary Book, I presume.
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
437 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2013 :  09:22:52  Show Profile
Sold for $186,500 USD inc, Premium.

Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3251 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2013 :  14:25:10  Show Profile
Sold to whom? Do we know?

Lew Palmer
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
437 Posts

Posted - 19/01/2013 :  20:54:25  Show Profile
Certainly not me - all I know I found on the Bonhams Website.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000