Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG M Type for auction
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

KJ1592

United Kingdom
451 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2013 :  18:45:23  Show Profile
There is an MG M Type entered in Richard Edmonds sale on 2nd March. I know very little about the car except that it has no paperwork. Is it known to the register? It looks to have been off the road for a few years, has a non original body and appears to have a US number plate on the rear. The registration number is VU 5270. The website for the sale is http://www.richardedmondsauctions.com " target="_blank"> http://www.richardedmondsauctions.com

The car is also now advertised on prewarcar.com http://www.prewarcar.com/index.php?option=com_caradvert&view=ad§ion_id=1&id=77354&Itemid=432

Edited by - KJ1592 on 16/02/2013 13:54:03

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 12/02/2013 :  21:07:37  Show Profile
Ian,

VU 5270 is not listed on the Register at the present time.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2013 :  08:39:03  Show Profile
I know a little of this car. It is owned by one of the 'Cherished spares Suppliers' in the Austin 7 world. He re-imported it from the US about 18 months ago after it had been out there some 50 years. He did promise me the chassis number when we were in contact when I was trying to broker a sale for him (I say broker, I just put a couple of people in touch with him) but that never materialised. He was looking for £10,000 at the time.

I was told by the owner that a friend who has had his M type for 40 years informs me the chassis,engine,and axle.are all numbered to the same car from new. the same person beleived the body to be its original coach built.the car is on the MMM register,so a known car.(sic)

I am far too polite to have questioned any of that...

So many dynamos

Edited by - Orstin on 15/02/2013 08:50:31
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2013 :  09:41:05  Show Profile
I have tried the link which shows the car has been sold.

£10000 would be a bargain if the car was in running order!

George
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2013 :  10:25:42  Show Profile
I contacted Richard Edmonds by email to ask the chassis number and received this reply yesterday at 12:48 (14th February) -

This car has only just been consigned as a late lot to our sale and we are endeavouring to get all the details for our website.
Once we have all of these there will be a detailed description on our site, hopefully by early next week.
With regards
Richard Edmonds

I have just sent Richard Edmonds a further email to ask if the car has been sold .

Sam
Go to Top of Page

KJ1592

United Kingdom
451 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2013 :  11:09:27  Show Profile
I have spoken to Richard Edmonds and the car is definitely still for sale, will be in his auction on March 2nd with an estimate of £8000-£10000. The engine is there but in bits.

Cheers Ian.
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 15/02/2013 :  11:58:19  Show Profile
Yes,I have the same message -

It will be sold at auction on march 2nd. It will be lot 1116.
Regards
Richard

Sam
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 06/03/2013 :  11:28:03  Show Profile
This car didn't sell. I think the body is quite nice, obviously built to mimic a J2 and not like any of the Le Mans cars that I've seen.

Graham

"I'd rather be happy than right anyday" Slartybartfast, Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Go to Top of Page

KJ1592

United Kingdom
451 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2013 :  07:21:26  Show Profile
The car sold for £7750 inclusive of premium after the sale.
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3099 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2013 :  11:09:56  Show Profile
Did anyone establish the chassis number?

Sam
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2013 :  13:03:03  Show Profile
Sorry, I didn't go to see it, just going from pics...

Graham

"I'd rather be happy than right anyday" Slartybartfast, Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2013 :  14:07:06  Show Profile
It was a very good project it was all very original and complete apart from the body at the back but you'd put a new body on anyway. I would of thought it would make 9k or more. 7750 was cheap but to restore it properly you would end up spending as much time and money as you would on a j and its only worth half the money when finished as a j. so 7750 was about right. For people who are really into m types then it was a good buy. Has a dealer brought it or Somone private?
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1044 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2013 :  18:19:26  Show Profile
I kind of like the body!
Why not keep it as is and restore the mechanicals.
It might have worn this body longer than the original......

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2013 :  18:52:02  Show Profile
Agreed, Onno.

Why waste money in turning a period 'non-original' vehicle into a non-period, non-original 'M'?

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 07/03/2013 :  20:34:58  Show Profile
I saw the car at the auction. The body was ok useable I think. The rest of the car was really good the radiator and shell was very good. Original windscreen was very good the dash was complete and all there so was the engine but in bits. There the hardest bits. when I had my m type I had no rad screen and instruments. That's why I had to sell it. I would of gave my left arm for this car a few years ago. If the person who's bought it can build the body thenselfs then there laughing. It's a great buy for a m type enthusiast. There a great car and a bit underrated it would be a shame to cut corners when it's all there.
Go to Top of Page

phil strange

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 23/07/2013 :  20:59:10  Show Profile
hi,im new owner of vu 5270,i purchased it after the auction at richard edmunds,ive since rebuilt the engin,g box,and its running sweet,my first real mg,body is very very good ,its now beentopic on mmm forum when it went to monty carlo in 1951,sam christie knows the story,cant wait to drive her,luv it to bits, keeping it oily rag,if i take it apart il be to old to drive it ,reguards phil strange
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000