Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 33 Years ago !
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2013 :  20:34:13  Show Profile
This engine devoured 3 cranks during my lengthy ownership, with luckily no collateral damage other than to my pride and bank balance. This was the first failure which occurred in the West Country on the MGCC 1980 "Tour of Britain." As far as I know the car is alive and well in Sweden. It was my 17th birthday present. Thanks dad!

Edited by - kimber on 19/02/2013 20:37:39

mgmog

United Kingdom
467 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2013 :  22:30:00  Show Profile
Cracking Pic

something about old cars, and their breakdown stories.
One my OH is oft to tell is of her old boyfriends Singer, how it would often have one of its wheels overtake them on some run or another, having heard it one to many times I wandered off and mentioned it to an Aussie friend of mine - She laughed and told me that the great Brocky had taken her round bathurst in a singer many years ago.

My OH did a few motoring articles over the years, she had an idea for one called "A hard shoulder to cry on" which would have been about special breakdowns. great memories, enjoy.
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2013 :  09:14:05  Show Profile
Hi Andrew
When I got my first J2 in the early sixties I had a girlfriend nearly as pretty as yours! However she would not put up with the passenger door flying open on corners and refused to go out with me any more. That car only got through two cranks before I made it Ford powered ! Oh what a disgrace !

TH
Go to Top of Page

Colin Morse

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2013 :  10:34:30  Show Profile

This story arrived in the history file which came with the car:

"So, when I saw the J2 for sale for £30 (Portsmouth Evening News) I went with my brother-in-law to buy it, and he bought the ND for £15 (later selling it at a vast profit…..£27).The J2 was in a road leading up from Portsmouth Harbour to Portsdown Hill. A father and son said they’d come back for it the next day, but I did a deal there and then. When we turned up to collect it next morning, the man and son were there….he got very angry not to have the car, and his son burst into tears.

I got the car going, and used it a lot, but the flywheel kept loosening plus heavy knocking ensued. The engine came out several times. I put together a windscreen with the heavier sides, and fitted it. A day later, I overdid it on Stoner Hill Petersfield, and rolled it twice. My friend’s head broke the screen. We were lying in the road almost uninjured, when up came a driver, who had been following. He told us off for 5 minutes, and drove off without helping right the car. We did this, and limped to a garage with an 8 shaped rear wheel to top up with oil, having lost ½ due to gravity".

....which explained the irregular shape on the bonnet top!!!

J2332
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 20/02/2013 :  14:32:36  Show Profile
Colin,

Having owned two ND's in the past I would be interested to know either the Chassis number or Registration number of the ND your brother-in-law purchased, can you help?

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

Colin Morse

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2013 :  19:54:02  Show Profile
Peter,
I have e mailed you off line.
Colin
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2013 :  21:57:14  Show Profile
Hi Andrew.
I like the picture, you do not look too stressed about the breakage!

Like Terry I also had a girlfriend who refused to travel in my PA because her posh party frock became splashed after I drove through a large puddle and water came through the floor board. This was almost 20 years before you broke the crankshaft!!

George.
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 21/02/2013 :  23:39:39  Show Profile
And Andrew, she's actually holding the nasty dirty oily thing. Had you cleaned her bit?

Dave

Edited by - Oz34 on 21/02/2013 23:40:01
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000