Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Importing an MG Part - Not worth it?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gordon

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2013 :  11:50:45  Show Profile
This area is very complex - I know from experience of bringing back furniture and personal effects from our property abroad. I believe there is a difference in treatment between goods imported with you when you enter the UK and if it is shipped and imported separately from your arrival. Even secondhand goods imported will attract VAT and import tax and not only on the secondhand value. It applies to the declared second hand value, the cost of insurance and the cost of the shipping charges! The whole set of relevant regulations is mind numbingly complex - like all our tax laws - and there is much scope for different interpretations. My belief is that personally carrying it into the country is best. Using ordinary post can be effective and where possible shipped goods should be single items and could well be samples of no intrinsic value other than raw material cost.

Gordon
PB 0331, MG4473
Derby
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6140 Posts

Posted - 22/02/2013 :  15:06:33  Show Profile
Bringing goods from elsewhere in the EU shouldn't raise any issues. Free movement of goods and all that. It's stuff from outside the EU that may attract import duty and VAT. Think of the Blue channel at airports versus Red and Green ones.
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3102 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2013 :  18:05:33  Show Profile
I have just received an email from the Fedex Customer Relations people which I found hopeful but perplexing..

Please be advised in order for our customs department to discuss this further with HM Revenue and Customs they will require proof of original export (the goods originally leaving the UK)
This has come in as a new import into the UK and therefore has had import charges assessed. Customs would need to see the original export evidence for the goods leaving the UK.

It appears that the fact it is not a "new import" helps but how on earth do I provide "proof of original export (the goods originally leaving the UK)" ?

Sam
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 08/03/2013 :  18:15:25  Show Profile
Try getting a letter from the MGCC stating that the car (and therefore part) was of British manufacture and origin and that along with the invoice from the US exporter should show the double crossing of the Atlantic. ???

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3102 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  09:34:44  Show Profile
Thanks Lew, I will follow your advice and let you know the outcome.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 09/03/2013 :  11:57:47  Show Profile
I'm on the case, but not today as our group is playing the Bach St Matthew Passion . Why not drop by High Wycombe Parish Church at 6.30 to hear this magnificent music?!

Dick
PA/PB 0743
Nr. Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000