Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Starting handle support bracket, P; N etc
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 29/03/2013 :  09:37:54  Show Profile
I'm sure we've all pored over the barn find P Type photos & most will have seen the bracket to support the handle. This performs a very valuable service as, certainly from my experience, without it the handle soon bends the front apron to a U shape. Turning the engine over also has a much more satisfactory feel to it without the thing flopping in the breeze!

Rich Hardy has now come up with one which uses the tall body mount to fit it and I'm guessing that all cars which use a similar tunnel in the apron, N; L; K etc, can use it.

Dave

Gerhard Maier

Germany
873 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2013 :  11:21:02  Show Profile
Dave,
on my car the front apron is very close to the tubular cross member, in fact it touches that in places.
So there would be no room for this aluminum body mount, and when I use a thinner, say 3mm steel clamp, I disbelieve that the bracket for the Starting handle is supported sufficiently.
Gerhard
Go to Top of Page

Robin Macmillan

United Kingdom
415 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2013 :  13:15:56  Show Profile
Search for "goodacre" and look at the 28/11/2011 postings .....

PB 0527
Go to Top of Page

sven

Sweden
431 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2013 :  14:57:41  Show Profile
One way of getting a slimmer fixture is to support the bracket with two suitable modern U type exhaust clamps. OK I know not as neat as the body mounting thing, but it is hardly visible with the apron in place.
All the best
Sven Sweden

and hope the snow soon disappears.
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2013 :  19:56:25  Show Profile
I've been away, hence no previous response to your comments Gerhard.

I guess the thing is that with old cars, all are slightly different. Before taking my photo showing the apron in position, I bolted it down fully, & had no problem but I can well appreciate that it may not suit every car. Maybe Sven's idea is worth looking at?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2013 :  09:05:57  Show Profile
Just as a further comment regarding Starting Handle brackets, my good friend Fred (MG ptype)gave me this very rusty old bracket that he had found in the spares box of his car when restoring it.

After blasting and modifying it, this it trial fitted.

On reflection the captive nuts should be welded to the front of the bracket so that it would be easier to remove from under the car with the front valance still fitted.

By "cranking" the bracket its possible to move the "eye" of the bracket further back into the logo housing.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000