Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG Live - 2013
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

George Wilder

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2013 :  20:14:40  Show Profile
The MG Live organising group is having a "wash up" meeting at Kimber House on 18th July.

So if you have feedback - all is welcome - please as indicated earlier, pass it to the Register Chairman in time for it to be consolidated.

Here is one suggestion that could come from the the Register. The organising group considers having a representative from the the pre-war registers working with it.
Go to Top of Page

rodb

New Zealand
260 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2013 :  21:23:10  Show Profile
Peter Green and Lew have identified the problem “the cars’ owners are getting older and do not want to race anymore”

Peter asks “Are these facts an indication that the majority of Triple-M owners do not want to take part in competitive events? I suspect so”.

It would be essential for the Triple-M Register to be parked near to the main marquee.

The aging ownership is a world- wide problem and it has to be addressed now before as Lew states “who will buy our cars when we are gone?”

Let’s think outside the square and turn this fact into a positive. We should be in control of our destiny not left for MG Live to do it.

A static display is a great sight but the younger MG owners may only visit once or twice but if close to the Marquee may have to pass by more often.

I believe the solution to the above is to have a working display where the MMM cars are running and moving in and out of the designated car park.

To achieve this there needs to be a good reason to demonstrate the cars, so if the register linked up with a charity each year (a good starting point would be the late Terry Andrews nominated cancer charity) and collect a gold coin (if this is not too much, or then a silver coin, or if not enough 2 gold coins, you know your market) for a ride in a car. Sort out a small run and demonstrate your car with pride.

The cancer people will have buckets for the coin collection. Publicly hand over of the dosh to the charity on a pre determined time during the last day of the weekend.

In NZ it’s said that one in three people will be directly connected with cancer, it is after all more common in most of our register’s member’s age group.

Advanced Publicity is the key to success, that includes a worthy cause to collect some much needed money for. Some signage and public address reminders during the weekend. The news media are always attracted to these activities, and it’s free

Gold coin rides have been very successfully run at an annual NZ MG race meeting for well over 20 years now. I was directly involved 14 years ago before we shifted.

I would imagine the mmm owners would spend more time with their cars during the weekend and always have like enthusiasts in attendance. The young may then not “think we're boring old toffs in slow square cars! Or "oldies" as it was put on that forum. “

There will be some maintenance required to some cars, all good stuff for the public to view.

We have a captive audience at Silverstone and must keep attending. Some research has proven that if enthusiasts rub shoulders with owners of older cars than they currently own, some owners then do buy older or buy more specific vehicles at some time in their future.

In New Zealand we have “take a kid fishing day” you may have similar in your country. It is this type of active exposure and participation that the future buyers of our cars will remember.

It happens to me, Rosemary and Philip Bayne-Powell generously lent Jill and I their N Type Allingham for the 40th Anniversary Rally. A life-long lasting memory and a wonderful experience to have been involved with, thanks to their kindness. It was this experience that started me on the hunt for an N type or an L type and sell off the P types. This has almost been achieved as we now have an L2 and an NB, and will be selling the P types and the F types soon.

My choice of MMM vehicles has changed, thereby releasing the other cars for other enthusiasts to restore and own.

The racing initiatives are all good and must be continued with as are any other ideas; do continue attending Silverstone, but take control of our future by showing the public how we use our cars, not just a line up of parked cars. Oh and put a bit of castor oil in the fuel tank!

Your investment in time and petrol now may well create and ensure the future market for our cars when we are gone. It gives members another reason to be at Silverstone and by attending your assisting worthy charities.

RodB NZ
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2013 :  21:52:27  Show Profile
That is one splendid idea!
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2013 :  21:54:16  Show Profile
I don't think that MMMs are seen as "slow square cars" amoungst those that compete. In both the Silverstone Autotest & Sprint, some of our cars showed a clean pair of heals to much younger machinery including modern Midgets and even the likes of Austin Healey 3000s (& didn't even need 6 cyliders to do it - stand up that man)!

They're actually pretty damn good!

JH
Go to Top of Page

leafrancis14

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2013 :  22:06:43  Show Profile
I know they're good, you know they're good....but many of the modern MG people do not. I think that giving rides is a really great idea and would help a lot.

I'm not sure if age is the main factor behind the decline of people wanting to circuit race. I'm put off by the red tape and the upfront costs plus the time commitment, so I content myself with VSCC nav rallies and driving tests. I get my racing thrills in a dinghy!

Barny Creaser

(Wellingborough)
Go to Top of Page

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
364 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2013 :  07:06:52  Show Profile
For once in my life I have to disagree with Peter Green ! Those racing MMMs are certainly getting older , but that's not the reason for stopping. ( At the VSCC Mallory Mug last year there were 2 x 'C'types and 2 x J2s competing with a combined age of drivers of 252 ; and heaven knows what that would have risen to if Dave Cooksey and Mike Dowley had raced ! ) It is the gradual chipping away of fun - high entry fees ; no space for us in the paddock amongst the transporters and artics ; mixing with unsuitable grids ; supplementary expenses ( transponders ). All a gradual erosion . But no doubt we will continue until sent to the old folks home to stare out of the window .
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2013 :  10:32:07  Show Profile
Fred,

I do agree with you that there are many reasons why people stop racing, I said as much in my posting, but I stand by my statement that age is one of them. You quote four people racing at Mallory last year with an average age of 62, I do not consider that old. Will all four be racing in ten years time when their average age is 72 or twenty years time when their average age is 82? In ten years time quite possibly but in twenty years time I very much doubt it.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2013 :  11:09:20  Show Profile
The Triple M racing activity certainly added something to the weekend for me whether I was part of it or not. I'm not sure it even has to be racing. A few years back we had a demonstration of Triple M cars which was really well supported and greatly enjoyed. From memory we all got about 4 or 5 relatively brisk laps with passengers. I'm sure if we offered that again the take-up would be good.

Not that I've ever driven it, the Silverstone GP circuit is inappropriate for most Triple M cars. The International circuit was just right, in my view. That's part of the turn-off too. Also the cost and perceived lack of value.

If there was a Triple M 'demonstration' again and a Triple M race on the shorter circuit next year, at a sensible price, I think I'd be tempted.

As a matter of interest, how many entries do we need for a guaranteed all-Triple M race? We should set a cut-off date for people to pledge their entries and see if we can't rustle up enough for an all-Triple M grid well in advance. A discount could be offered as an incentive for early commitment. It would have to be on the shorter circuit though as I'm sure the GP circuit puts people off - it does me.

I'd love to think that this event can be revived and I applaud anyone making efforts to do so. I'd love the opportunity to race in the 4 cyl un-blown class again - one of the most enjoyable races I've ever entered was against Fred Boothby and Andrew Taylor a few years back when we were the only 3 un-blown road-going cars at the back of the grid with barely a fag paper between us for 10 laps. Bloody wonderful. Thanks chaps.

Edited by - kimber on 20/06/2013 13:46:32
Go to Top of Page

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
364 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2013 :  13:58:16  Show Profile
Andy, the International circuit is no more , sacrificed to the development of the new GP circuit. A shame , as it was ideal . So now there's just the GP circuit and the Club circuit ... The former isn't right for us as its too wide and too long ; the latter won't be used as the main straight ( now the Wellington straight ) is full of 'stuff'
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2013 :  15:58:28  Show Profile
Thanks everyone who has contributed to this thread. I will be putting together a digest of all comments made and will be presenting it to the Club, along with the Register Committee's additional thoughts and suggestions, some of which have been expressed in other quarters. We hope to have direct representation in the 'wash up' meeting of 18th July and thereafter as the 2014 planning process gets under way. It is my fervent hope that we will be consulted, rather than being presented with faits accompli as seemed to be the case this year.

Perhaps this might be a good moment to close this topic, but let me end with a few pics that should serve to demonstrate that Triple-M cars were indeed in evidence over the weekend - some being used in anger!

Best wishes to all,
Dick Morbey

Edited by - DickMorbey on 20/06/2013 16:41:47
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 20/06/2013 :  18:19:25  Show Profile
There were indeed some nice Triple-M cars in evidence as shown by the attached picture of the 3 C types.

George
L2023
Triple-M 994

Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2013 :  10:12:16  Show Profile
Well done Dick. Splendid photographs. Much, much more interesting than the Club's "Souvenir Programme" of MG Live, which I have now filed away carefully in the re-cycling bin.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2013 :  13:35:24  Show Profile
MG live is the fifth biggest event at Silverstone after F1 (where Silverstone has to pay the poison dwarf for it to be held there), MotoGP, Touring Cars and Silverstone Classic (not necessarily in that order) then in fifth place MGlive.

As far as I understand Silverstone do not allow negotiation, you are offered a contract, take it or leave it, which is why we have to use the GP circuit, as Silverstone dictate that.

I wonder what would happen if the MGCC said no, but of course they would need another card up their sleeve to do that. So why do they keep going back to Silverstone?

Silverstone is the only circuit where the club is allowed to keep the ‘gate’ money.

No other circuit is suitable for such an event, either in size or location, although I suppose facilities could possibly change.

I am sure that Kimber House who work very hard to make the event enjoyable and also profitable would appreciate any positive suggestions for improvement.

As well as having an M type, I also have an 18/80 and thus am also a member of the Vintage register and they have an even more difficult situation, we have only 36 members at the last count, and on Saturday we had only 8 cars in attendance of which two were non-members and even less on Sunday, other than the one in the main marque on display.

I think a lot of people love to look at the old cars and agree that better parking near the marque for pre-war cars would be best. This year a sign saying something like ‘Vintage Parking’ was erected but some continental members who consider their MGF TF’s as vintage parked there so we grabbed a spot outside the marque on the grass.

John Cooper

Edited by - Cooperman on 21/06/2013 13:36:50
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2013 :  14:44:25  Show Profile
Hi John

Welcome to the Triple-M web site.

I also wonder what would happen if the MGCC did say no, but perhaps with the ever increasing costs involved, and the usual wait for the GP date to be finalised, it is time to reconsider?

George
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 21/06/2013 :  21:23:51  Show Profile
Excellent photos, but they do point up the grey-haired and ancient nature of MMM enthusiasts ( with the notable exception of the distaff member present). Including me, of course.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000