Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG Live - 2013
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 8

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2013 :  10:35:10  Show Profile
If we can't have a watchable, and for some an enterable race, can we manage an increase in the social content. What about making a picnic area behind the MMM stall, or identifying a meeting area, and note a time when it is open.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2013 :  11:18:43  Show Profile
A couple of points:

Autosport's report of the meeting describes it as very successful event, no comment whatsoever about the missing old cars - so the club is likely to continue the same formula.

Many people find the loss of the Friday a shame, particularly those that travel from abroad, and also the traders. Perhaps we could organize something earlier in the week to fill the gap? Not necessarily competition based, but a road run or just a MMM Natter...

I realize that this doesn't help traders much, except that it might encourage more folk to travel to the Silverstone event.

There is little worse than ideas without volunteers, so I will put my name forward if the idea generates enough interest and if any others come forward to help!

Graham

"I'd rather be happy than right anyday" Slartybartfast, Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Go to Top of Page

George Wilder

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 24/06/2013 :  15:15:59  Show Profile
"Many people find the loss of the Friday a shame, particularly those that travel from abroad, and also the traders. Perhaps we could organize something earlier in the week to fill the gap? Not necessarily competition based, but a road run or just a MMM Natter..."

For the last couple of years or so there has been a Friday road run starting at various points to Silverstone and again this year - full details here http://www.mglive.co.uk/features/marque-of-friendship-rally/ which ends in a Natter.
Go to Top of Page

mgtommm

USA
505 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2013 :  04:02:34  Show Profile
Hi All,

Silverstone still offers some great things: good socialization venue with terrific MG friends from all over the world, typically a nice selection of Triple-M cars, vendors who are willing to bring our orders with no shipping, mystery burgers on dry buns, a racing atmosphere even though "our" cars aren't making cool noises and smells, and 3,000 other MG's for those of us who dig 1920's through 1980 and even newer ones (OK, not that MG5).

So, several ideas have been tossed out to help liven up the event. What else can we do within the shell we're given to help US have the best time? Driving tests? Free rides for kids? - (My boys got hooked on MG's when Fozz gave them each a ride in The Rat about 15 years ago), Large Friday night Natter? A creative display? All day Friday event on our own - like tour phoenix Crank or Bletchley Park or a museum or cookout or rally?

My point is, there's a great opportunity to really do something neat rather than simply show up to bitch about it not being like the good old days. Or worse yet, complain here about it being so bad you don't even show up. If we act like a bunch of grumpy old farts in the old oil slinging square riggers..... well, we are.

MGCC provides the event and there's still a lot to like about it. Let's make the most of it and be the most fun and creative register there.

tommm - the grumpy old fart on the sunny shores of Lake Erie
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 25/06/2013 :  12:11:05  Show Profile
Thanks George and Tommm, lots of food for thought - anyone else want to chip in? Or is it really the lack of racing that really upsets people?

Graham

"I'd rather be happy than right anyday" Slartybartfast, Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Go to Top of Page

FrankAshleymgm

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2013 :  15:13:32  Show Profile
I agree with most of the comments about the meetting, and found Saturday very uninspiring. the good bits of the day were chatting to fellow MMMers both by the cars, at the MMM stand and at S & V's truck. Sunday had the promisee of a much better day at the sprint; that is until the green light at the start of my first timed run. Revs on, clutch up, 2 inches and a loud bang. Subsequent dismantling showed both half-shafts intact, as well as the very sturdy 6/33 CWP, but a good collection of teeth from the diff gears lay in the bottom of the axle case. So a master class in half-shaft changing would have been a bit embassing, especilly after Foz very kindly fetched a new shaft fom S & V. All is now well with another diff in place, ready for Prescott tomorrow. Thanks to all who comiserated and gave help. especially the manual labour to push the car up into the trailer. Congrats to Phil on a brilliant time; where is the nitro tank hidden?

FA
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 04/07/2013 :  21:05:46  Show Profile
Hello everyone,

Just to keep you posted - The Triple-M Committee has made a submission about MG Live! 2013 to the directors and the organising team of the MGCC. We have also provided a detailed digest of all the comments made on this Forum. Our submission, together with representations made by other Club Registers, will be discussed by all concerned in about 10 days' time.

At the prompting of one of the directors, I am posting below a summarised version of that submission. It is based very largely on comments made on this Forum, supplemented by additional inputs from Committee members and others. This will give you a flavour of our approach to dealing with those issues that we wish to see improved.

First however, it is worth stating that the bulk of the task of organising and staffing events like MG Live! falls to volunteers and enthusiasts. I reckon that most of us fit into at least one of those descriptions.

Therefore we must all keep in mind that if the ideas and suggestions for improvement are ever to see the light of day, it will depend on additional volunteers coming forward with offers of help. We already have one - Graham Arrondelle - hats off to him! This is all in line with ToMMM's remarks on this Forum, the gist of which was - don't just complain - do something about it!

Here's our submission. Please take the time to read it - it's all straightforward stuff. At the very end I have added a question that I thought it was worth asking all those who have contributed to this thread, but first ..............

MG Live! 2013

Summary of the views of Triple-M Register Forum members and others about MG Live 2013/2014 which the Register Committee has sent to the event organisers.

The Triple-M Register Committee does recognise the reality of the present situation. The Triple-M Register is but a small (but historically significant) element of the Club. Despite the regrets of many, we recognise that as things currently stand, Silverstone is likely to remain the venue for this MGCC event and the GP circuit will probably be used for racing, as larger grid sizes are to be the order of the day.

To make matters easier to follow here is an ‘Executive Summary’ of the main points and the Register’s suggestions in regard to them. We suggest that the general format of the event and the Triple-M race are two totally different topics and should be debated separately. The Summary focuses on:
o The venue
o Racing
o Club Pavilion
o Register parking, presence, facilities and participation
o Traders
All this is based on detailed comments received which covered many more topics than just these, which included the general atmosphere of the event.

EXECUTIVE SUMMARY

Main Points:
The venue
We recognise the difficulty in forward planning the date of MG Live! – the ‘Bernie factor’, which makes it difficult to firm up the calendar and obtain commitments from other participating clubs.

Racing

Triple-M Racing
We have a major concern that the makeup for the 2013 grid for the race in which Triple-M cars would traditionally compete was planned without reference to the Register. The inclusion of FISCAR entrants and other non-pre-war cars resulted in all Triple-M competitors boycotting the race – despite the entry fee concessions that were generously offered this year. Clearly for 2014 we must find a way around this problem and an initiative is already under way, led by Register member and racer Fred Boothby, to collaborate more actively with VSCC and other interested parties to establish a grid of pre-war cars.

Costs. To help defray entrant costs, the Register might offer a financial contribution to the cost of transponders.

Racers need an area where they can fettle their cars. Could the Register together with the T Register hire some pit garages?

And/or consider creating a joint MGCC and the VSCC race meeting at, say, Snetterton or Brands Hatch or another ‘sympathetic’ circuit. There would be enough competitors from within both clubs to probably hold a two day event. It would be an MG only meeting so far as the MGCC were concerned which would give interest to those with cars that did not suit the GP circuit at Silverstone. There would be one race for the Mary Harris trophy at which Austins, Rileys, Lagonda Rapiers, etc would take part. The MG handicap winner would take the Mary Harris; the MGCC or the Triple-M Register would put up another trophy for the non MG cars.

Racing generally

People would prefer to see more MGs on the grids of what is/should be the Club’s premier MG event. Adverse comments were received about grids comprising so many other non-MG makes.

Club Pavilion
The layout within the main marquee seemed odd. There was loads of circulation space for visitors, which never seemed to be particularly congested at any stage of the weekend. However the space available for Register stands was very cramped. Many Registers which (like us) traditionally have used two tables, had to make them into an L-shape to fit the limited space, which was not satisfactory.

Register Parking
First and foremost we would like to see the Triple-M cars parked in a prominent place near the main marquee. This year our parking area was the furthest from it.

Register presence

Consider having an additional display/marquee/ picnic area behind/next to the Triple-M parking area as a meeting area. Technical demonstrations/fettling?

In 2014 have a Register (not Club) 80th Anniversary commemoration of the P, N and Q types?

Presence of cars in the Register area qualifies owner for a separate Register POO entry?

We need to stimulate more interest in the competitive (race, sprint) and social aspects including non-damaging events, such as the California Cup, POO etc. and will be setting up working groups to take this further.

Triple-M Traders report that it was noticeably quieter than previous years, and does seem to be on a downward spiral, compared to Stoneleigh which has gone the other way in the last few years. Why was this?

These thoughts are merely a summary of the large number of responses received. They have been offered in a constructive spirit to help the MGCC meet our needs. The Register are happy to play our part in helping retain and develop the interest of our members in the event in the future.

Dick Morbey
Chairman

And now the final question to those who have posted on this topic.
Are you a member of the MGCC? Rather than clutter up this Forum, please would you reply to me off-line?

Many thanks

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Nr. Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK

(Edited to correct typos)

Edited by - DickMorbey on 04/07/2013 21:11:13
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2013 :  10:46:00  Show Profile
Interestingly, in Safety Fast this month, Race Torque by Ron Gammons, he is describing the up and coming Snetterton Four Hour Relay Race, and states " we aim to have nothing faster than about 1 minute 24 secs on the Snetterton 200 Circuit (wonder what average speed this corresponds to:- 84mph I think) so that drivers of slower cars DO NOT FEEL INTIMIDATED "
This seems not to apply when the Mary Harris race is being planned.

Regards
David D

Edited by - Dow on 05/08/2013 11:00:47
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 05/08/2013 :  22:05:09  Show Profile
Point well made.

Messrs Morbey, Green and Eagle have a meeting with the MGCC Chairman and the General Manager at Kimber House on Wednesday to talk through all this sort of stuff!

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Nr. Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

arjen

Netherlands
32 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2014 :  20:57:32  Show Profile
Last week I discussed with my fellow dutch racer Henk if we should join the MMM Race. With some sadness we concluded it is not worth the effort. So today I looked up this thread wondering if there has been any feedback from the submission and consequent discussion with the MGCC organizers that could change our minds

On a positive note: I will keep great memories from past entries: my first official race ever in F0955 and some video footage of me and KN0384 posted by on-lookers on you tube (including a spin in front of the grand stands in 2009).

Arjen

arjen
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 22/01/2014 :  21:10:53  Show Profile
Arjen, there is a separate thread running on this forum about the March 29 race, which you might find encouraging.

Regarding MG90 (AKA Silverstone 2014) the Register is working very closely with the top management and officers of the MG Car Club to ensure the best possible representation of the Triple-M Register at the event. The provisional dates are 21/22 June see http://www.mgcc.co.uk/mg90-dates-confirmed-for-silverstone/

Please watch this space – I hope that your and everybody else's patience will be duly rewarded!

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK

Edited by - DickMorbey on 22/01/2014 21:17:28
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2014 :  09:41:04  Show Profile
Hey Arjen, it would be great if you could join us on the grid. Response base been so positive so far and it looks like we will re-energise triple M racing in 2014. Any questions do drop me a line. Mark

Mark Dolton
Go to Top of Page

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
364 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2014 :  13:58:11  Show Profile
Arjen , please , please reconsider your decision . We are doing our utmost to get a really good and representative grid together for Silverstone , and it seems that MGCC race committee is being really helpful . It would be nice to make it a really International grid , with more that just one Orange car on the grid . After all , some of us and making plans to come to Zandvoort in September - and we might even forget and forgive what Van Tromp did to the Royal Navy !
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2014 :  15:01:52  Show Profile
What he did to the Royal Navy? What about what they did to him? Shot him in the chest, they did! Poor Tromp! And not 500 yards from where I'm sitting right now too! Bandits!
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 23/01/2014 :  16:21:24  Show Profile
I'm hoping to buy a bucket and spade for the September trip as well Fred

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 8 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked