Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Not Triple M, but definitely for Petrol Heads!!
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2013 :  19:51:56  Show Profile
Courtesy of the V8 Register, this link gives you a marvellous film of Mike Hawthorn doing a lap of Le Mans in the D Type & comentating on it.

http://vimeo.com/59410466

Enjoy!

Dave

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2013 :  22:45:53  Show Profile
What an evocative piece of film! I never realised how narrow the roads were.

Oh to own a D type Jag.

George
L2023
Register no 994
And a BV8!

Edited by - George Eagle on 16/05/2013 22:46:59
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2013 :  22:55:59  Show Profile
Nor I George! Having never been, I'd guess they may be a little wider now? And not so many trees close to the action!

Must say I did enjoy; many thanks to whoever it was in the V8 Reg who found it.

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2013 :  23:19:45  Show Profile
For those who, like me, may wish to download this film, I have found it on Youtube. Be careful though & I suggest use this link as there is another version of considerably lesser quality.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hx21E5CM0U

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6144 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2013 :  23:22:33  Show Profile
Great movie. This clip was in a History of Jaguar video cassette that I got with Motor Sport mgazine some years ago and I'd always intended to extract this section to have as a stand alone clip. Just downloaded it from Vimeo! We're planning a trip to France in the J2 in September and will be staying one night en route near Le Mans and plan to do a lap. This is just what I need to help find my way around!
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 17/05/2013 :  10:43:00  Show Profile
In 1959 my wife & I went to Le Mans in our modified PB (ex-Ted Lund car). We got to the circuit on the Friday ,I think. We knew we were suddenly on the circuit (near Tetra Rouge) by the very much improved road surface & the white lines painted along each side. Driving down Mulsanne straight at probably 40 mph we were passed by Ferraris & the like doing considerably more !. We stopped at the pits on the way round & quite a few cars were out practising or testing amongst normal traffic. I wrote about our trip in a Yearbook some years ago.The years the Aston Martins won!& Ted Lund in this Twin Cam MGA hit a dog & retired from the race.
Brilliant film of Mike H. in the Jaguar. Many thanks.

Edited by - Ray Masters on 17/05/2013 10:44:07
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000