Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 War time stuff
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 26/05/2013 :  19:53:05  Show Profile
Hello,

I was just wondering if anyone on here might have a full set of Autocar magazines from the war years which I could borrow. If you have a set and you don't feel comfortable lending it to me, could I please ask you to do some research for me?

I'm not sure if the other pre war magazines (The Light Car & Cycle Car and The Motor) were published during the war years, but if they did, someone might have a set of these as well?

I'd very much prefer it if I could borrow a set (or sets, if multiple magazines were indeed still published back then), but I understand this may be a bit much to ask!

Anything else war time/M.G. related would be most welcome too: Was your car owned by an RAF officer, was it crashed in the black out or stored in a lock up safe from bombing, etc? I'd be very interested to hear from you!

Many thanks!
Cat

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2013 :  12:05:24  Show Profile
I'm afraid wartime motoring magazines are as rare as rocking horse droppings, Cathelijne. Firstly, because of paper rationing, print runs were vastly reduced so publishers and newsagents were only able to supply customers who placed firm orders. Wartime salvage drives meant that most were recycled at the time and over the years afterwards many public libraries simply threw out old magazines on the grounds that they were too expensive to rebind, conserve and store - not least because much wartime paper was poor quality and high in acid content. Paper rationing continued until 1949 and this is a problem affecting all magazines and papers, not just motoring!

Autocar and Motor both continued weekly publication throughout the war years: I don't think either of them missed an issue either! Light Car continued weekly until early 1941, but paper shortages forced them to switch to monthly publication in a smaller format: those are incredibly rare and the only set I know of is at Gaydon.

I know of two motoring journalists who I think have complete sets of Motor and Autocar: there are probably others, but I have honestly never heard of anyone else who has a private collection. So, while I realise that you probably don't particularly want to travel to view these, I think it may very well be your only option!

Beaulieu, Gaydon and Coventry Transport Museum all hold Autocar and Motor, as do the various copyright libraries and the Science Museum - but all these either charge pretty extortionate reading room fees and/or put strict limits on how many volumes you can have at one time: they're often held in store off site, meaning you have to order hours (or days!) in advance.

Trying to be more positive - Birmingham Libraries have both Autocar and Motor. However, they are currently in store, awaiting the opening of the new Central Library in September: I have no idea what the arrangements will be once it has opened.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2013/apr/29/birmingham-library-ready-books

Finally, there's a little-known resource for these - the library at the Institution of Mechanical Engineers. They inherited the sets of Motor and Autocar formerly owned by the Institute of Automobile Engineers when they moved from Brentford to MIRA, so their archive of them stops in (IIRC) 1949. The volumes are in extremely good condition - unlike (say) Beaulieu's, which are falling apart through over-use!

http://www.imeche.org/knowledge/library

They are very helpful and will allow you as many volumes as you want at a time. All they ask is that you give them advance notice of your arrival and what you would like to see, since the magazines are in the basement store and the library is on the top floor! That way, when you walk in there will be a trolley with your name on it waiting for you. There are no charges for the use of the library and it is a simply beautiful place to work in, overlooking St James's Park: I have used them twice now for some intensive research sessions. They have photocopying facilities - for which they charge at a reasonable rate - but they have no objection to the use of hand scanners. I have never inquired about using cameras though.

Edited by - Vitesse on 27/05/2013 12:20:56
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2013 :  12:26:25  Show Profile
Cat,
Motorsport used to sell a Digital Archive Collection, on one DVD which has every page of every Motorsport Magazine from July 1924 to Dec 1949, An online search or a call to Motorsport Office may help.
Google "Motorsport Digital Archive 1924-1949" and several come up.
eg : http://www.amazon.co.uk/Motorsport-Magazine-Digital-Archives-1924-1949/dp/B00B5BY2FM
Typical page in this posting
http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=6722
Regards
David D

Edited by - Dow on 27/05/2013 13:11:34
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2013 :  15:18:53  Show Profile
Hello Gentlemen,

Thank you both for your replies!
I have already spent way too many albeit very enjoyable hours and a fortune for photocopying at Beaulieu and I have the Motor Sport dvd, but I will certainly try and come down to London to 'do' the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, sounds very promising!

Thanks again,
Cat
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 27/05/2013 :  16:05:41  Show Profile
I believe that the late Bill Boddy's archive will be for disposal at the end of next month.

A very obliging historian ever willing to find an answer; if anyone had wartime copies, he did.

I still have a tricky question for him, but I hope not to be able to ask him for a long time yet!

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2013 :  10:00:32  Show Profile
Does anyone here have Andrew Bradshaw's article on M.G.'s and the RAF which was published in Safety Fast! sometime between 1998 and 2000?

Many thanks!
Cat
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2013 :  10:22:49  Show Profile
Cathelijne

I have a little note in my F Type archive that says

"F Type MG 1483 listed as missing in Enjoying MG 2001, 1947 owned by Wing Cdr Harvey"

Hope it is of interest.

Love P
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2013 :  11:28:51  Show Profile
It is, thank you, Peter!
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
769 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2013 :  11:46:58  Show Profile
Hi Cat,
some of these magazines are as rare as 1945 Dutch bicycles!
Foz
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 29/05/2013 :  13:03:46  Show Profile
Don't mention the bicycles!

Go to Top of Page

AlanD

Australia
29 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2013 :  07:25:39  Show Profile
Hi Cat

I have a scan of a Safety Fast article by AJB called "MGs and the RAF (revisited)" from I believe from late 2000.
I could email it to you if you wish, the content is about the J2 that I now own.

Cheers
Alan

Alan
J2 3592
TC 4617
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2013 :  09:34:22  Show Profile
Hi Alan,

Yes, please! info@mgworkshop.nl

Many thanks!
Cat

Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2013 :  10:03:21  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by AlanD

Hi Cat

I have a scan of a Safety Fast article by AJB called "MGs and the RAF (revisited)" from I believe from late 2000.

IIRR this was a follow-up piece to the initial article

Edited by - kimber on 30/05/2013 10:05:01
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 30/05/2013 :  10:46:09  Show Profile
Okay, so we're still looking for the Original article then! Any help towards finding it much appreciated!
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 31/05/2013 :  21:23:12  Show Profile
Cat. This may have been mentioned already but there are some war-time articles from the Autocar reprinted in the small booklet entitled ' M.G.Cars 1940-1947'.
They seem to be taken from the 'Talking of Sports Cars ' series. In one of them Ted Lund writes about driving his Q-Type (0252) on pump fuel for his daily journeys. Ray.
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 01/06/2013 :  10:58:11  Show Profile
Hi Ray,

Thanks so much, found it on my own bookshelf!

Cheers,
Cat
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000