Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 county car taxation records
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

leafrancis14

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2013 :  22:38:50  Show Profile
Can anyone explain to me about how the old car taxation system worked in the UK? I know that cars were registered in the county of the first owner - and mine was in London so no records exist.

But what happened when a car moved to a different county? Did the owner have to report it at the new county for taxation purposes? Were the taxation records transferred or was a new record created?

So as my car moved to Bedfordshire - might they have a record about it in their archives even though it's not a Bedfordshire registration?

Barny Creaser

(Wellingborough)

sam christie

United Kingdom
3100 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2013 :  00:18:11  Show Profile

Sadly, I understand, local authorities only retain records (if at all) relating to registration numbers first issued in their own area.

Edited by - sam christie on 13/06/2013 17:40:12
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2013 :  09:46:00  Show Profile
A good idea, suggested before in the Forum, is to read a copy of 'How to Trace the History of your Car' by Philip Riden ( Merton Priory Press, 1991, 1998 ) ISBN 1 898937 25 7.

This has a comprehensive view of the registration system since its inception and also of the available records.

Secondhand copies are available from the usual sources..

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3100 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2013 :  10:59:21  Show Profile
Barny,I am in much the same position as you. In my case I am trying to find details of a London car first registered in 1930. I have a copy of 'How to Trace the History of your Car' but the book cannot help where no records survive. It does explain the workings of the registration system but (certainly by my reading) it will tell you nothing new about your own car.

What information are you looking for?

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 13/06/2013 17:41:04
Go to Top of Page

leafrancis14

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 13/06/2013 :  19:44:22  Show Profile
Thanks, all. I know about the owners in the 30's in detail, and about owners from the 50's and 60's, but not sure if there were any owners in between. Probably it just sat in a lock up for the duration of the war.

Barny Creaser

(Wellingborough)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000