Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 air filter for J2
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bill Putnam

USA
64 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  13:52:02  Show Profile
Has anyone used air filters on a J2? If so, how were the filters attached to the carbs? Any suggestions on air filter manufacturers? I've been reading David Vizard's book on tuning BMC A series engines, and he is quite a staunch supporter of air filters, and K & N air filters in particular, both for performance and engine longevity.

Any thoughts/suggestions are appreciated.

Bill Putnam
J3488

bputnam@cityofmadison.com

Christian Cottes

France
114 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  20:33:35  Show Profile
To my knowing, any attempt to fit air filters to J2's carbs has resulted in over-rich mixture, and the cars have been runnning nicely for years without them. So why bother ?

Christian Cottes
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1641 Posts

Posted - 04/05/2006 :  22:17:55  Show Profile
Bill in theory you are right and so is David Vizard ( very good book that is ). Filters were not fitted originally but I am sure I recall seeing some on J's back in the sixties.However there is not a lot of room after allowance for the fuel lines and the gap between the front carb and the bonnet side. Also the fuel pump is pretty close to the rear carb.
I guess if you drive in particularly dry and dusty conditions and do not mind the engine looking non standard then it would be sensible to try and fit some. I think you can get simple little foam type covers but if not suitable I suspect the only way would be to search through all the cats to find a small filter element that could be adapted to fit and then make some suitable period looking containers. I will E mail you some pictures of a pair of nice small round "Cooper " air filters from the sixties which I have. If you are hell bent on fitting filters they may give you some ideas.

Terry Holden
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000