Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Who makes double duck?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2013 :  11:14:53  Show Profile
Simon

You may well be right about the use of acrylics, but they do use the term canvas which is specifically a cotton based fabric.

Also these guys are supplying the US restoration market, and I know from personal contact that the judges go to ridiculously fine detail for 'accuracy', so maybe this is one of the aspects where accuracy trumps costs.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6122 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2013 :  11:49:12  Show Profile
You could well be right, Ian, but it's not so much that I want to find a source of Wigan or double duck (both of which are readily available in the UK) but rather to find out exactly what the difference is between them and how they differ from the rubberised twil referred to in the MG sales brochures. It's historical information really that I'm looking for.
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1472 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2013 :  12:23:41  Show Profile
Simon, I have an idea that Boyriven supply many of the trimming companies, so really ought to know where it's come from and how it's made.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6122 Posts

Posted - 25/07/2013 :  12:45:52  Show Profile
Ian,

A request is already on its way to them so let's see what they come up with.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Go to Top of Page

Chris Healey

United Kingdom
28 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2013 :  06:44:25  Show Profile
I'll throw another question in the works - it's sort of related. Does anybody know if anybody still makes Rexine type materials ? There used to be a company in Witham , Essex, UK that made a batch in the 1970's but I understand they stopped doing it soon after.
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2013 :  10:18:09  Show Profile
Chris,

You could try Martrim Ltd., Unit 10 Millbuck Way,Springvale Industrial Estate, Sandbach, Cheshire, CW11 3HT. Phone 01270 767771

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
941 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2013 :  11:35:38  Show Profile
Simon

This may help with definitions

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cotton_duck

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2013 :  11:40:45  Show Profile
Ah, so it's just a dubbel doekje!
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6122 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2013 :  12:58:13  Show Profile
Thanks, folks, I had already grasped the malign Dutch influence in our beloved cars

I've pretty much worked out the differences between the various materials in terms of weight and construction but I haven't yet been able to determine when the terms 'Wigan' and 'double duck' came into use. Pre war the term seems to have been simply 'rubberised twill'. Which is why I am trying to find out who actually makes the stuff to see if they know. But I find companies generally slow to respond to queries via their contact page on their web sites so no progress on that as yet.

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 27/07/2013 12:58:53
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2013 :  17:09:37  Show Profile
And this from dictionary.com:

wigan
#8194;

wig·an
[wig-uhn] Show IPA

noun
a stiff, canvaslike fabric for stiffening parts of garments.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Origin:
1870–75; after Wigan, where originally produced

Dictionary.com Unabridged

Wig·an
[wig-uhn] Show IPA

noun
borough of Greater Manchester, in W England.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560

Edited by - LewPalmer on 27/07/2013 17:10:22
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6122 Posts

Posted - 27/07/2013 :  17:25:53  Show Profile
Indeed, Lew, I'm aware of references to Wigan as a stiffening fabric, and to the fact that the name derives from the town of Wigan. But what I can't find is any reference to it in the world of motor car hoods until recent years. In the 1920s and 1930s the term used for hoods seemed to be (and I use 'seemed to be' advisedly) 'rubberised twill'. What I'm trying to determine is whether what we call Wigan today is essentially what was called rubberised twill in the early 1930s. My enquiries would suggest that what we call double duck wasn't used until the late 1930s, and the reason for its adoption was simply one of cost - it used a coarser canvas and was thus cheaper.
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
574 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2013 :  20:58:14  Show Profile
Dear MMM Owners, we get asked all the time how to clean hoods and tonneau covers.
Mike Collingburn suggests; "Regardless of model and materials used on the hood, side screen covers and tonneau may I suggest; I used to clean the weather equipment on my TCs with warm soapy water, this would do very little harm and quite a lot of good, try it on an inconspicuous area first. DON'T over wet it as it can shrink as most materials come not completely pre-shrunk if at all. Allow to dry naturally. I would never use detergents. Use a small stiff brush and I would only clean dirty areas not waste my time on the whole thing. Some MG owners rate the solution Wolfsteins RAGGTOPP cleaner and protectant but as I haven't cleaned one for well over 10 years I cannot confirm it's effectiveness or what are the best products currently available.
Thanks Mike Collingburn.

James Collingburn
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
574 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2013 :  21:00:20  Show Profile
Dear Chris, we supply as original PVC and still have some Rexine, however to our mind modern day PVC vinyl is far superior to Rexine. We only use and supply non-stretch PVC vinyl that is specially made for us to match our again, specially produced leather. Contact: collingburn@btinternet.com with your requirements.

quote:
Originally posted by Chris Healey

I'll throw another question in the works - it's sort of related. Does anybody know if anybody still makes Rexine type materials ? There used to be a company in Witham , Essex, UK that made a batch in the 1970's but I understand they stopped doing it soon after.

James Collingburn

Edited by - thecollingburnboys on 12/12/2013 21:04:23
Go to Top of Page

agn178

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2013 :  09:24:00  Show Profile
One (lateral) thought: cycle saddlebags made by Carradice in Lancs were made in double duck canvas. To my knowledge they are still making saddlebags - but maybe not all in canvas any more?
They might be able to help you further?
Derek J3024
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1472 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2013 :  07:35:34  Show Profile
Simon,
Is 'rubberized twill' the material used for 'Macs'- (raincoats)? Looking at prewar photos the hoods do have that 'Mac' look.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000