Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Why are Js numbered but Ps lettered?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Peter Dowson

United Kingdom
63 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  11:02:54  Show Profile
During an idle moment, I was wondering why the J cars are J1, J2 etc, but you get PA and PB (and also TA etc).

I assume it is because the various J cars were available at the same time, whereas the PB succeeded the PA. Is this the case?

Peter

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  14:58:27  Show Profile
I think you will find that until the PB was unveiled, what we now know as the PA was simply a P

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Nr. Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  17:45:27  Show Profile
But still a good question - you would have expected the 4 seat P to be a P1, two seat to be a P2! With respect to the second letter for a revised version of the car, that evidently followed on through the T-types, until the TD, anyway, so that makes sense.

Graham

"I'd rather be happy than right anyday" Slartybartfast, Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Edited by - MaGic_GV on 07/08/2013 17:53:33
Go to Top of Page

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  19:16:38  Show Profile
Is this where we talk about K types? K1, K2, K3 and KN.

I've wondered about this one since taking over the registrar's role. Perhaps Mike Alison knows more about this one.

Regards

Robin

J2 J3666 & J3 3764
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  19:25:54  Show Profile
I always understood that the KN is a K with an N engine. Can't recall now where I got this from though.

Graham

"I'd rather be happy than right anyday" Slartybartfast, Hitch Hiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  20:17:26  Show Profile
Initially, the 'PA" was termed P.1 and P.2 for four- and two-seater by at least one main dealer as late as 1936.

My O/S chassis knuckle is stamped 'P 603' though the record card has 'PA-603'. Do later cars have PA or PB and, if so, when was the change?

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  20:38:35  Show Profile
My spring 1935 PA is stamped P2032.

Maurice Blakey.
Go to Top of Page

rodb

New Zealand
260 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  21:15:41  Show Profile
Having just read Mike Allison's July Safety fast's fascinating piece on Jacko, looking forward now to part 2, one would assume Mike could answer the questions. I always wondered why the R type was known as the RA. I thought the TA was originally known as just T?

RodB NZ
Go to Top of Page

ags

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  21:46:17  Show Profile
Hi Peter,

My car certainly has PB stamped on the chassis knuckle. However since it was among the last hundred or so of MMM chassis this tells you little about the changeover point.

John Thornley mentions this change on p86 of "Maintaining The Breed" but in little detail as he says it is, "a long and boring story". He does confirm what we all believe that the PA was the first to have the letter nomenclature and that the factory intention seems to have been that, "each new model automatically took the suffix A in anticipation of subsequent variations". As has been pointed out in this thread not all dealers, journalists or advertisers necessarily picked it up at the same time.

More technical ramblings from

Andrew Smith MMM571
PB Abergavenny
Go to Top of Page

Robin Hamblett

United Kingdom
534 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  21:47:07  Show Profile
Register records of P type chassis stampings indicate that all PA's are only stamped with a P but all PB's are stamped PB.

Regards

Robin

J2 J3666 & J3 3764
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3238 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  22:03:07  Show Profile
And my ex NB, with a late number, is simply stamped N0960!

At least the L types followed the Js with L1 and L2.
George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2013 :  23:09:28  Show Profile
Confirming Rod's reference to the TA, yes it was known as the Series 'T' (see attached UM advert at the launch). The Instruction Manual and Parts List both referred to the Series 'T'. It became the TA when the TB was introduced in 1939.

Go to Top of Page

leckstein

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2013 :  04:13:24  Show Profile
Well, one can not assume that cars were just a single letter until the "B" car emerged making the earlier cars "A" . There was the SA, no SB, WA no WB, VA no VB. so PA before a PB?

Mike L
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2013 :  17:27:58  Show Profile
Mike
There may very well have been a SB, VB or WB if it wasn't for the intervention of that nasty Second World War thing!
Regards
Tony
Go to Top of Page

PreWarMG

Australia
427 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  03:02:57  Show Profile
While the T-Series marketing did not refer to "TA" just "T-Series", the ID plate and the chassis stamping are clearly marked TA on car 0355. I'm happy to post photos if anyone needs them.

We are here for a good time, not a long time !.
Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2013 :  14:17:06  Show Profile
Sorry I missed this one.
Yes the P-two-seater was originally called the "P2" and the four-seater was known as the "P1" around the Factory, but oddly when the N-type was introduced about the same time it was straightaway known as the "NA"! There is no definite answer to the question, but as the designations we now know were adopted by the Factory by mid-1934, these should be adhered to.
The ND was originally called "NK" around the Factory, but became "ND" after the adoption of NA as the model type, and about the time of the introduction of the KN Saloon. The NE model became standard after the 1934 TT, and stood for "N-experimental". the cars having been built by Jacko's Experimental Department. When the Q-type was introduced, it was always the "QA" model, so it seems likely that there was a change in policy at the start of 1934.
Other than this conjecture, I can offer no explanation.
Hope to see some of you in Wales shortly,
Mike
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000