Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG MMM as an Investment
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2013 :  20:05:07  Show Profile
I was listening to Radio 2 earlier in the week and they were considering how much £100 invested 60 years ago would be worth now. The best investment they could find was to have bought farthings which would now be worth about £12,000. I've seen early 50s adverts for J2s and P Types for about £100. A good original one could now be worth £30,000.

Jan T

greg

United Kingdom
833 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2013 :  20:58:08  Show Profile
I wonder how much they will be 60 years from now or even 30 years from now
Go to Top of Page

jeremy3082

United Kingdom
14 Posts

Posted - 09/08/2013 :  22:26:47  Show Profile
My first posting ever on a blog which means this subject has touched a raw nerve!

I hate it when people talk of investment and historic cars in the same sentence however, I guess there are a few positives in that an increase in value has lead to cars surviving, being put back on the road and helped in the development of spares suppliers/restoration companies, sadly there it ends for me.

If values increase at the levels we have seen in the last 5 years (for this is one of the biggest jumps) then it is highly probable that the cars will never be seen on the roads and will become the preserve of the few rather than the enthusiast. Having said that it is not an inevitability that pre-war MG's (or any other historic car) will continue to increase in value.

Many owners/custodians are concerned where new blood will come from (inheritance is one possibility but a shared interest from the following generation is not guaranteed). With house prices the level they are perhaps it is less likely that values will continue to go up by the levels we have seen and will stagnate at best. That's my hope anyway - not being lucky enough to be the custodian of a pre-war MG! This is not sour grapes, just an observation.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2013 :  09:55:50  Show Profile
Any item of technology cannot easily be compared to static possessions such as coins or bullion in investment terms. Most of the MGs which were useable in the '50s - my then PA ran well, was fun transport and cost £22-10-0 - will have needed substantial maintenance and up-grading since. The cost of this must be factored in to their present price.

Most 'technical' playthings are subject to more outside factors than static ones, though the value of those can rise or fall with fashion, as witness, say, 'modern first editions'. Legislation, unavailable fuel, few new users coming forward, perceived dangers in usage are factors, and any or all of these has the potential to make all of them into static exhibits.

Best not to worry about 'value' and drive them while you can.

Bob. ( deteriorating faster than his PA! )
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2013 :  10:29:11  Show Profile
Hi Jeremy and welcome to the Triple-M forum.

I totally agree with Bob, drive them whilst you can enjoy them.

I believe the values of the classic cars will continue to rise especially at the top end of the market. There is only a finite number of surviving classics and the demand for these is now universal as witness the number of Triple-M cars being exported at present.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000