Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 M type replicas?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

jrnsr

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  07:12:55  Show Profile
I've committed to buy what is supposed to be a 1930 MG. It appears to be MG, for the most part, but has many discrepancies, as in a different engine, only passenger door, single piece windshield... I know a guy who owns an M, but having dealt with only TDs, I wasn't up on the M's details.
I could kick myself for not getting down to look for the vin, as I wasn't sure it'd be on the dumbiron, and I have an uncooperative knee for crawling around. It's about 250 miles away, so we can't just run over and recheck it.
My opinion is, someone started with an MG and tried their best to rebuild it. HOWEVER...
My question- are there a lot of replicas/impostors in circulation?

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  08:47:10  Show Profile
I have heard of just a few replicas, usually Morris Minor dressed as M type, certainly not lots.
Can you attach photos?

Matthew.

Edited by - Matthew Magilton on 12/08/2013 08:47:48
Go to Top of Page

semisport

United Kingdom
61 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  17:51:28  Show Profile
Here in the UK there are a significant number of Morris Minors dressed as M Types, some surreptitiously and others quite openly parading as replicas. Some owners of these cars will go to extraordinary lengths to disguise their car's Morris Minor origins, including replacing and/or filing off the Minor chassis number from dumbirons and re-stamping them with a fictitious MG identity. The outriggers will be cut off in precisely the same place as seen on original Midget frames. Re-manufactured VIN plates of varying quality are available to buy, upon which owners will then 'stamp' the car's new identity, endeavouring to use punches that get as close as possible to the typefaces used in the factory. The officials of this club will no doubt have seen many attempts to register Minor chassis as original M Types and this occurs because of the large disparity in retail values between that of an MG M Type replica and a genuine car. This practice is certainly not a recent phenomenon and it is said that the M Type on display in the U.K.'s National Motor Museum at Beaulieu for many years, is in a fact a replica car built upon a Morris Minor side valve chassis.
The short answer to your question is 'Yes', there are plenty of replicas, and I suspect imposters about, so it's very much a case of 'buyer beware'. Membership of this register and the use of its databases would help minimise the risk of being duped.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

jrnsr

USA
5 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  17:52:58  Show Profile
Didn't take photos nor check for Vin. We were heading home from a long weekend at Alden Car Show and didn't have time to linger. Another couple MG owners had seen it and hadn't realized its wasn't authentic. Seller said he didn't realize it wasn't genuine, wouldn't accept my much lower offer and said he'll will refund our deposit.

I asked him to look for Vin and any ID on engine and I'd help unravel the mystery. The radiator shell was virtually perfect, but brass, and radiator was good, so that, engine and other parts may be worth more than his asking price. Engine was green flathead with Zenith carb.

Thanks for responding, Matt.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 12/08/2013 :  18:54:19  Show Profile
The M type had a similar engine to the OHC Morris Minor, the latter having a pressed tin rocker cover instead of aluminium casting. Some of the early MMs had the very narrow bodied dynamo also. The later Morris Minors had the 'flathead' side valve engine which is a major departure from the MG configuration.

The correct OHC engine represents a healthy percentage of the value of an MG. If it has a MM chassis and late MM engine then the respective values should will be chalk and cheese and re-saleability will only be possible at a value which represents what it actually is ie a rebodied MM and possibly with questionable identity as a MM.

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000