Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J3026 Racing history
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2013 :  11:38:44  Show Profile
Mike Hawke picked up on this car being raced in the 1980s. Even though the details are incorrect in How They Ran. The registration TJ1582, not matching the chassis number.
There are notes in the car's history, claiming it was raced with a blown XPAG engine.
Does anyone recall a blown XPAG J2 in club events or otherwise, in the early 1980s?

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2013 :  17:56:12  Show Profile
The driver was Roger C. A. Nethercot. The car colour bright blue.
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2013 :  19:44:32  Show Profile
The info in How They Ran is not so much incorrect, more of a juxtapostion of details, missed at the proof-reading stage.

Chassis J3027 is that associated with Roger Nethercot/Netherlot (depending on the source), in the 80s the car was in Canada. It has (as far as I'm aware without further delving) no racing history & did not carry the reg. TJ1582.

Chassis ID J3026/TJ1582 is I believe the XPAG powered one with a bit of 80s racing history as listed in the book, at least, that's what's in the authors notes,if I recall correctly it was not always blown & light blue in colour.

It's easy to slip a digit or two every now and again.

JH

Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 04/09/2013 :  16:30:03  Show Profile
Thank you kindly, JH.
My car is light blue, under the green paint.
The name Nethercot is a usefully uncommon name when Googled with MG.
I came up with a Nethercot racing a BGT in, I believe, Wisconsin.
I just wondered if someone remembered a sparring partner from years back?
My car had been rather abused. Total engineering nightmare, is nearer the mark.
The car supposedly had a single seater racing body.
Intriguing how it made it through the years. BUT. A survivor.

Edited by - spitfire on 04/09/2013 16:33:12
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2013 :  17:43:07  Show Profile
Thanks to those who have sent swathes of info.
I find it wryly amusing that so many people avoid going online. Nice to know there are so many MMM owners worldwide who love these cars, whatever condition they presently reside in. Glad there is free comment in some MG circles. This site is a brilliant meeting place for those who share a passion for the early MG.
Like many old machines I have bought. I find a forlorn example. Don't mind the road to its salvation.
I really feel for someone like Sven, in Sweden (we have family in Jonskoping) - Far from the Thames Valley Set. For the person with a D type like a sleeping phoenix (John!) in the garage. I have a letter from a man, his father, close to death remembers "my charge" as his in the early 1950s. He still remembered the reg as clear as yesterday, a smile lighting his face.
For me, thats what its all about. Never mind the grammar, the club politics in peoples' heads. I sit on the most animated Natter table, whatever club, MG, Harley etc I manage to get to. Taking the J2 to a Natter in the snow is exactly the buzz I had when I first kicked off this MG thing. The J2 is living in a stable next to an engineering works. As we feed cuttings from the hedges into a blazing fire in an oil drum, the rain battering down on the roofs, the car, sans bonnet and rad flickers in the firelight. Phoenix breed.

Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2013 :  04:27:51  Show Profile
Great news. I am now in contact with the family of a gentleman who owned the car in the early 1950s.
He has passed on, but only recently... A load of photos of the car in situ are being unearthed from those years. Nice posting this- I now have infinitely more history in letters from owners, plus photographs, than before. With all the comments that document MMM life before repro parts arrived to reproduce "new" cars! Just like the buzz when starting another club, years back. I might redesign Octagon Heaven nicely... Period typefaces and layout. substituting photos or enhanced pictures , rather than the photocopied mess that survives. Still waiting on a potted history of George C Jarrard to come from the States. From someone who lived in his home town. RIP George.

Outnumbered- But never outgunned.

Edited by - spitfire on 21/09/2013 04:34:09
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6121 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2013 :  07:17:47  Show Profile
spitfire,

I doubt if those who contributed to Octagon Heaven thirty years or more ago (myself included, as I recall) would necessarily share your view that it is a "photocopied mess". On the contrary, for many of us it represents an enormous achievement given the technology and communications available at the time. You talk about redesigning it nicely...with period type faces and layout. Spitfire, it has period type faces and layout - it just happens that they are the period type faces and layout of the 1980s when George Jarrard undertook the monumental task of producing it.

You are of course free to "redesign" it, but it won't be George Jarrard's Octagon Heaven any more if you do.
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2013 :  11:04:40  Show Profile
Hi Simon.
Points noted. I never said who I was transposing the Octagon Heaven document for.
You infer that I call the entire work " A mess, etc."
No. It is what I spoke out about a year or so ago- A coherent, step by step, restoration guide.
An up to date, photo document that takes you through all the areas/jobs on the car, that a new owner will need.
Period typefaces and layout would be contemporary to 1930s, in my eyes.
It would be a nice way to present the same facts, with a period 1936-39 feel, yet with the advantage of high resolution images.
Glad you contributed to George's labour of love.
I hold my hand up and say I certainly didn't.
You have a beautiful car that you cherish for a number of reasons.
I know people who founded many motoring clubs, lets leave it as open as that.
Many are closest friends, and it is special when we meet.
So is it with Your Club. You seem to be a spokesman for it, anyway.
We are...actually on the same train of thought.
I love what you have done with Octagon Heaven, or Compendium, whichever version you have.
It has made it into a lucid DATABASE.
Glad it is being organised into a coherent, digital document.
Regards.

Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2013 :  14:03:04  Show Profile
What is 'Octagon Heaven' ?
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2013 :  14:50:05  Show Profile
Not only was Kimber's time at MG, one of light car development-
It was also a time when the age of the steam ocean liner was drop kicked into the age of the metal clad Airliner.
The Bauhaus, Walter Gropius' slab sided forms, into De Stlijl, Art Deco...
Many awakenings of a new, leaner, more focussed sense of design.
Cecil Kimber was an advocate of this expression of line and form.
The leading ("ledding") and line spacing of 1930s typesetting creates an evocative "trip", as much as a drive in a J2.
Alot of space, letting the type "breathe."
As with the J2...
An economy of line.. A "form to function" in the cycle guards, drew me to 1933 J2.
The aviator cockpit... Pretty much the bare bones of a bi plane, minus propellor!
I have virtually burnt out a phone with another MMM member, discussing every design nuance of this age.
Before Airline.
Before the swept mudguard/fender.
The cusp.
Kimber's cusp.

Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2013 :  15:21:12  Show Profile
Hi Kimber.
I don't call in much and was wondering if your voice was out there!
Octagon Heaven was created by an American, George C Jarrard.
He basically sourced information from everywhere he could...
Created a by instalment document that built into.. "Found an MG J2?...
Here's how to (sort of) restore it!"
It had mistakes. More highlighted by restorers, (to my ears) whose livelyhoods he threatened than anyone else.
People used his guide and built large show - winning - classes for their efforts.
So it wasn't toooo bad!
It is on this site in the bit with the MG Magazine stuff.
Glad to hear from you. Last posting I remember, the wine had taken its toll on your keyboard skills!
Spot any mistakes?
Let Nick and Simon know!
Regards. x

Edited by - spitfire on 21/09/2013 15:36:37
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6121 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2013 :  17:01:18  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by spitfire
So is it with Your Club. You seem to be a spokesman for it, anyway.

Any views I state are my own and I do not speak on behalf of the MG Car Club or the Triple-M Register.

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 21/09/2013 17:03:27
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2013 :  18:40:46  Show Profile
My Dear Old Spitters, sometimes I really do wonder what on earth you are talking about.

What in God's name is 'Kimbers cusp' when it's at home?

No, please don't tell me...

Edited by - kimber on 21/09/2013 18:41:46
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2013 :  18:49:40  Show Profile
I understand, and respect that. (o:

Often outnumbered- But never outgunned.
Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2013 :  19:18:22  Show Profile
One meaning of Cusp, is the meeting points of two different theories
In a modular sense, the subdivision of different parts of a design undergoing a dostinct change.
Design wise, a profound difference in direction.
Cecil Kimber constantly did this. I find "a cusp" of development interesting at the cycle, muckspreader, wings stage.
How many cusps did CK introduce? He was always "cranking up change."
No wonder Len Lord started with him as the first brick- Out the window.

Go to Top of Page

spitfire

United Kingdom
371 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2013 :  22:24:48  Show Profile
George C Jarrard lived in Minnesota.
Much of what he wrote/amassed came from other enthusiasts.
He did have the foresight to create the document.
He later moved to Millinocket, Maine. A mill town on the edge of the wilderness. It used to be the world's largest supplier of newsprint.
This is where he died.
He made himself unpopular, by trying to instigate new ideas.
His car was J2152.

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000