Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J3 Dashboard
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John Brinkmann

USA
153 Posts

Posted - 04/10/2013 :  20:13:09  Show Profile
In another post, MG J2 with possible racing history, Ralph makes reference to a "J3 layout" of the instrument panel. Aside from a boost gauge, what were the differences between a J3 and a J2 dashboard? Was there a different face on the combined rev counter/speedometer, to reflect the higher axle ratio?

John

Blithe Spirit

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  12:32:07  Show Profile
Hi John,
J3 dash was much more comprehensive than J2. Speedo, with a different dial to reflect the higher rear axle gearing was on LHS where the J2 has the octagonal plate. A tacho seems to have been fitted on RHS, though I am unsure of its design. My car has a 6000 rpm tacho like a Hornet special, but most cars seem to have the large repro 8000rpm one. Around these 5" instruments are 2" units for oil pressure, water temp, oil temp, amps and boost.
Regards,
David J3768
Go to Top of Page

John Brinkmann

USA
153 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  17:57:14  Show Profile
Thanks, David. Do you know whether a special speedometer/rev counter was prepared, or was the factory able to use one from another model with the same tire size and rear end ratio?

John
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  18:20:42  Show Profile
Hi David and John
If there was such a thing as a "standard" J3 dash layout it was the same as the de luxe J2 layout with an additional boost gauge on the right hand side of the speedo. The speedo was as David says similar in appearance to an early J2 one but with different calibrations to reflect the higher back axle ratio. From memory I think the face was marked "PC" as opposed to the standard J2 "PB" marking.
The dash on my J3 was copied from the layout on the 24 hour car ( 3756 ) and I suspect this is the layout you are describing David.
At least two other J3's also have very similar layouts.
It is my guess that many of the cars would have either had dash layouts modified to suit purchaser's requirements by the factory or were subsequently modified by owners. This is what happened to 3765 which was converted to J4 spec by its owner over the winter of 33/34 when the speedo was converted to a rev counter with a new face that was still on the car when I acquired it.
John let me know if you need any further info.

TH
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  19:47:25  Show Profile
I wonder if the chassis files still exist at MGCC, they would indicate what extra instruments owners ordered?

Perhaps the comprehensive files compiled by M Hawke would contain useful info.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 06/10/2013 :  23:24:03  Show Profile
George like other rare models the chassis files for the J3's unfortunately disappeared many years ago.

TH
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000