Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 High Mileage Triple-Mīs
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Christian H

Germany
58 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2013 :  12:44:34  Show Profile
Recently I re-read Andrea Greenīs book M.G.īs on patrol. With great interest I read that one policemen covered about 200.000 miles in a J2 on patrol between 1934 and 1938. What a mileage! The Autocar of April 1942 contains also an article ("Talking of Sports Cars") of another long-distance J2 which had covered 167.000 miles by then. And, if I remember correctly, there was recently a reprint of an article from the late 1950īs featuring an NB which covered, I think, 165.000 miles and then went into a collection, being replaced by something more modern.

With our low annual mileages of between say 50 miles to 5000 miles one is not aware that some of our cars covered considerable mileages more associated with modern cars.

Christian Hoeptner

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2013 :  17:51:22  Show Profile
Hi Christian

The high mileage NB you refer to is the one that now resides in the Gaydon collection, it is a very original 2 seater and as such a good reference point to anyone rebuilding such a car. I used it when rebuilding my old NB 2 seater AAM372.

Incidentally it was an ex Police patrol car and had undoubtedly covered a high mileage.

George
L2023.

Edited by - George Eagle on 27/10/2013 17:51:44
Go to Top of Page

John Libbert

USA
211 Posts

Posted - 27/10/2013 :  22:36:24  Show Profile
Christian,

My car, J2 3118 was imported into Holland when new by JJ Molenaar. According to the chassis file it had over 25,000 miles and a broken crankshaft within the first year. I don't drive my modern car that many miles in a year! I find it amazing to discover that much usage in such a short time.

John
Go to Top of Page

Christian H

Germany
58 Posts

Posted - 28/10/2013 :  19:06:24  Show Profile
That is nearly the same annual mileage of the aforementioned policemen. Tough boys...
And I am pretty sure that the sun wasnīt shining every day....

Our cars were built in a time when the motorcar was still something special to own and far, far less people had a car then.
Today, we think our cars were used in period occasonally in nice conditions only and therefore do not associate those astonishing annual mileages with our cars and thatīs why itīs interesting to hear from a few who did.

Christian Hoeptner
Go to Top of Page

Bob Clare

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2013 :  00:36:56  Show Profile
Here's another example of high mileage.

PA 1048 was bought in 1945 from a car pound in London for Ģ99.00 by E.T. (Tommy) Bartlett. The pound was part of a garage operation and was used to store cars of servicemen who had been killed in the war but had no relatives.

Tom was a part-time racing mechanic for Velocette as well as having a travelling maintenance job with a well known lift manufacturers. The car was a 4 seater but Tommy "manxed" it leaving enough room behind the seats for his tools etc. He came to stay for the weekend in 2000 (he was 94 by then) and told me that he did around 40,000 miles/year in the car for which he acquired a spare (PB) engine. He used to remove one engine at the end of the racing season and replace it with the other, rebuilding the removed one ready for the next season. It made several visits to the IOM. He kept the car until the late 50s.

I was lucky enough to get the car with the PB engine in it.

I'm definitely in the 5-5000mile/year category of Triple-M owners so the dear old thing has a reasonably restful life now!

Bob Clare
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000