Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 H.Stuart Wilton
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2013 :  12:01:28  Show Profile
For a possible future article, I am trying to trace the activities of Stuart Wilton, who raced a Q (ex-Bellevue) and a K3 (ex- Billy Cotton)in the immediate pre-war era. He seems to have raced under the patronage of Mrs Corbett-Fisher. Has anyone any information about either? Any clues would be gratefully received.

Mike Allison

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2013 :  18:57:43  Show Profile
One of those chaps who apparently rose and fell almost without trace. His full name appears to have been Herbert Stuart Wilton, but unfortunately there are two Herbert Stuart Wiltons in Ancestry's records - both born in 1900!

One was from Hampshire, the other from Streatham, but it appears our man lived in Hendon from at least 1934 (first electoral roll entry) until about 1950. He had re-married in 1949, but I don't know whether he had been widowed or divorced. Also in 1950, there is a phone book entry for a Stuart Wilton Cars Ltd at 353 Finchley Rd, NW3.

By 1952, the car business has apparently gone and he's living in Walton-on-Thames. This seems to be the beginning of an antiques business called Stuart and Denise Wilton, which later operates in Sion Hill, Tunbridge Wells. Can't trace his death, but the last phone book entry in Tunbridge Wells is 1981.

On electoral roll and phone book evidence Mr and Mrs Corbett-Fisher appear to have lived in Hendon at about the same time: her first name was Cicely and she was born about 1886, but I can trace very few details about her. Last trace is a letter published in The Times in 1958, by which time she was living in NW11.

Edited by - Vitesse on 09/11/2013 19:00:04
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2013 :  09:09:31  Show Profile
HI Mike, I m assuming you ve seen Stuart Wilton was a regular at Crystal Palace in K3004 1938/39 and QA0254 1937.

In my records both cars were entered / owned by Ms Corbett Fisher.

Thanks

M

Mark Dolton
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 11/11/2013 :  10:45:50  Show Profile
Can't really agree that H Stuart Wilton rose and fell almost without trace, as he was active from May 1937 when he entered QA0254 at Lewes Speed Trials and he competed on six separate occasions in that year alone. By September 1937 he began driving K3004 and during the next two years he drove the K3 at over twenty events, finally ending his connection with the car on the 9th September 1939, again at Lewes Speed Trials. After that date, no doubt he (and the rest of the world) had other things to worry about. Possibly his "crowning glory" was at the VSCC Lewes meeting of 15th July 1939 when he set up FTD and took first place in both the 1100cc Racing and Allcomers Handicap Classes.

In most, if not all of these events, the cars were entered by Mrs C Corbett-Fisher, but the suggestion is that certainly QA0254 was hired from Bellevue Garage. However, magazine photographs exist of QA0254 being tuned by Peter Monkhouse and Leslie Wilson (of Monaco Motors) at Brooklands in early 1937 and the car is described as belonging to Stuart Wilton. Certainly after K3004 arrived on the scene, QA0254 was advertised for sale by Monaco Motors for £195.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000