Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG Silverstone race meeting - Now on March 29 2014
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 9

Onno

Netherlands
1059 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2013 :  17:37:00  Show Profile
I've already offered to tow orange there so that bit is sorted ;)
I need to do some peeking at your cars for some more inspiration for the D so this is a great excuse.

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3682 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2013 :  18:21:08  Show Profile
Onno, we will try to get a good collection of Triple-M cars to the event on 29th March - Racers and non-racers!

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Nr. Henley-on-Thames, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1059 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2013 :  13:18:13  Show Profile
though I like triple M road cars the racers are more relevant for the D......;)

Onno "D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 14/12/2013 :  04:05:34  Show Profile
Dick, Fred,
I hope at MG90, if we manage to get a grid together, that it can be on the Saturday, as the Sunday Sprint is great fun, and we could have a good turnout of our cars there as well

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3244 Posts

Posted - 15/12/2013 :  19:48:19  Show Profile
I note the ex Don Moore PA/PB special has been marked as sold on the www.prewarcar.com web page.

I hope the new owner will be entering the car in the the March race meeting.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2013 :  01:20:26  Show Profile
George,

I think we have to be careful how we describe the car, is it not a copy of the Don Moore P type special which has the body from the original car?

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2013 :  08:22:31  Show Profile
Yes Peter you are correct,IT IS NOT THE ORIGINAL CAR.It however has the original body which was reskinned when i built the car for Andrew Bradshaw(the original skin was beyond use) and i believe there were a couple of other bits that could have possibly come from the original car.In the 2 years Andrew raced the car he was very successfull from the word go.A very light car with alot of potential to beat much more powerful and expensive cars,if it was fully developed,oliver
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2013 :  18:42:10  Show Profile
Re 'Moore Car' - err, no, not the actual car.

The 'original' was broken up by D Moore in the late 50's and I spent over 20 years tracking down the principle components. I have to admit that I had a dream of reuniting them all but I became tired of the project after such a lengthy involvement and was quite relieved to be able to pass the baton.

The original chassis is currently in Australia and wears standard(-ish) 2-seater bodywork. Most bizzarely, what I believe to be the original engine has turned up in a long dormant J2 which is hibernating only about 10 houses away from the address I moved to about 5 years ago!

So, I know where everything is but unfortunately it is unlikely that putting it all back together would be a cost effective exercise.

The only principal component I managed to acquire was the original body (thank-you Colin), which as Ollie says needed re-skinning which was duly carried out. The rest of the car I built up was as close a copy as we could make utilising the scores of photos of the car that I acquired from Don Moore's estate. I had his original notebook too so the overall specification was, I believe very much in accordance with his notes.

I hate the word, but suppose that strictly speaking it's a re-creation incorporating the original body frame. I think there was suggestion that the rocker cover could have come from the original.

Just to endorse Ollie's remarks, as he says the car performed exceedingly well 'out of the box' (as much a testimony to Oliver's expertise as anything else). It was always extremely reliable and there was clearly lots of opportunity for development. I don't mind admitting that as the driver I was probably the weakest link and I still long to see that car perform to its maximum with somebody really capable behind the wheel.

I did consider buying it back but I just have too many projects on the go at the moment.

I can only hope that its gone to a new owner who will continue to use the car for the purpose it was intended. I put a lot into that project one way and another and I'd like to think that somebody will continue where I left off.

Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 16/12/2013 :  18:43:37  Show Profile
Re 'Moore Car' - err, no, not the actual car.

The 'original' was broken up by D Moore in the late 50's and I spent over 20 years tracking down the principle components. I have to admit that I had a dream of reuniting them all but I became tired of the project after such a lengthy involvement and was quite relieved to be able to pass the baton.

The original chassis is currently in Australia and wears standard(-ish) 2-seater bodywork. Most bizzarely, what I believe to be the original engine has turned up in a long dormant J2 which is hibernating only about 10 houses away from the address I moved to about 5 years ago!

So, I know where everything is but unfortunately it is unlikely that putting it all back together would be a cost effective exercise.

The only principal component I managed to acquire was the original body (thank-you Colin), which as Ollie says needed re-skinning which was duly carried out. The rest of the car I built up was as close a copy as we could make utilising the scores of photos of the car that I acquired from Don Moore's estate. I had his original notebook too so the overall specification was, I believe very much in accordance with his notes.

I hate the word, but suppose that strictly speaking it's a re-creation incorporating the original body frame. I think there was suggestion that the rocker cover could have come from the original.

Just to endorse Ollie's remarks, as he says the car performed exceedingly well 'out of the box' (as much a testimony to Oliver's expertise as anything else). It was always extremely reliable and there was clearly lots of opportunity for development. I don't mind admitting that as the driver I was probably the weakest link and I still long to see that car perform to its maximum with somebody really capable behind the wheel.

I did consider buying it back but I just have too many projects on the go at the moment.

I can only hope that its gone to a new owner who will continue to use the car for the purpose it was intended. I put a lot into that project one way and another and I'd like to think that somebody will continue where I left off.

Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3244 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2013 :  22:54:59  Show Profile
Yes of course Peter, I was fully aware of the facts on the rebuild which used the original body and should have worded my reply slightly better! I saw the car in a workshop when the body work was being done.

It would still be nice to see the car in competition again, pity Andrew did not buy it back.

George
L2023.
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2013 :  09:26:26  Show Profile
Andrew was fast enough in a fairly standard car !

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2013 :  20:35:15  Show Profile
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3682 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2014 :  15:28:27  Show Profile
The MGCC have posted a news update about this race at http://www.mgcc.co.uk/ and also at http://www.mgcc.co.uk/motorsport/calling-all-pre-war-and-t-type-competitors/

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
365 Posts

Posted - 17/01/2014 :  17:00:23  Show Profile
That's excellent, and a much needed acknowledgement of MMMs existence . So far we have 18 MMMs that have expressed an interest in competing in that race , and there are still a number who have not yet been reached . Obviously there will be some 'no shows' for various reasons , but with a rumoured 8 T Types we have a grid on our hands . VSCC will advertise the race in their next newsletter , so I am increasingly confident. Then , perhaps , we will regain our MMM supporters who were badly let down at MG Live last year .
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 05/02/2014 :  10:39:45  Show Profile
Fred and all,
Entry form available for March race meeting,
http://www.mgcc.co.uk/motorsport/wp-content/uploads/sites/2/2014/02/Silverstone-National-SRs-and-Entry-Form.pdf
or from this page
http://www.mgcc.co.uk/motorsport/silverstone-national-srs-and-entry-form-available/
Or you can enter online now apparently (I couldn't make it work this morning but maybe because its only just been set up ?)
http://mgcc.prosolvehosting.co.uk/ but you need a pin code to get in, so contact Steve Carr at the office.

Regards
David D
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 9 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000