Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Electrics Explained
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2014 :  12:19:58  Show Profile
Morning all,
Electrics have always been a bit of a mystery to me, but now I have a more complete understanding of how it all works. I have witnessed some of the effects described in this learned publication. Nick might not consider this worthy of the document download section ?:-
http://thecompassadjuster.com/education/resources/smoke-theory-of-electricity.html

Regards
David D

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2014 :  13:50:02  Show Profile
Thank you David, my understanding of smoke theory has been greatly enhanced. I will certainly consider a more erudite explanation along those lines for the next version of my book.
Nick
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2014 :  14:20:38  Show Profile
The good news is that if you *do* let the smoke out of your wiring, all is not lost...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LUCAS-Replacement-Wire-Harness-SMOKE-Not-NOS-Triumph-BSA-Norton-Matchless-AJS-/201019710089?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2ecdb55a89

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

Dow

United Kingdom
490 Posts

Posted - 14/01/2014 :  14:52:10  Show Profile
The last time I lost all my smoke, it seemed to be more than 500ml, does anyone know of anywhere we can buy in bulk. Perhaps the register could look into stocking this item, unless there is some no smoking legislation that applies.

Regards
David D
Great find Orstin

Edited by - Dow on 14/01/2014 14:57:47
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2014 :  12:01:27  Show Profile
It seems the Ebay seller is selling positive earth smoke. I've sent Ebay a question to the seller regarding the availability of genuine Prince of Darkness negative earth smoke.

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2014 :  13:48:33  Show Profile
It seems as if simply owning a bottle of this stuff will generate snickers! One of my favorite chocolate bars!
On a more serious note, I am not convinced that this smoke is permanently "Positive earth only". I am fairly certain that if I wind a coil of wire around the bottle and pass a current through the coil by brushing the connection with a bare wire for a few seconds in such a direction as to oppose the earth's field, it should be possible to reverse its polarity for a short while and make it suitable for use on our cars.
Nick
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 15/01/2014 :  13:52:17  Show Profile
Viewers who may be perplexed about how to inject that vital replacement smoke might like to know about this handy gadget. Incidentally, the jar of smoke in this case doesn't appear to be polarity-sensitive. That'll be a load off our minds then!

Further details at http://www3.telus.net/bc_triumph_registry/smoke.htm

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK

Edited by - DickMorbey on 15/01/2014 13:56:27
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000