Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 PA dinamo not charching
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

morisani

Italy
109 Posts

Posted - 25/01/2014 :  22:19:32  Show Profile
Mg PA 1121 – two brushes dinamo and Lucas 5-post regulator.

I’s some time that, starting the engine e driving the car, the dinamo doesn’t charge, the red ignition warning lamp remains illuminated and the ammeter needle is held in central position. Some time to start the dinamo to charge the battery is sufficient to suddenly increase the engine speed or to clean the regulator contacts but not always. The ammeter is Ok and so the electric connection to the Dinamo that has been checked and replaced. Today I travelled for about 5 kms with the ignition warning lamp illuminated, than giving more gas the dinamo started charging the battery (warning lamp not illuminated)and it was ok all the day long.
Has anyone had similar problems?
Thanks
Francesco

LewPalmer

USA
3242 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2014 :  00:38:10  Show Profile
Francesco, it sounds like you need to adjust the charging rate up on the dynamo. I believe the procedure is in the workshop manual, but it involves loosening the third brush holder and moving it more in the direction of rotation. Then recheck.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2014 :  00:55:36  Show Profile
Francesco
The ignition warning light being on tells you the cut-out points are not closing correctly. Check the voltage at the D terminal on the cut-out, if it is more that 13 volts the problem is the cut-out. The points wear over time and are hard to clean. I would replace the cut-out regulator with a new one or a solid state one. Let me know if you want more help.
Nick
Go to Top of Page

morisani

Italy
109 Posts

Posted - 26/01/2014 :  18:16:10  Show Profile
Many Thanks.
I'll check as suggested. The solid state regulator is an electronic one; is it correct?
Francesco
Go to Top of Page

morisani

Italy
109 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2014 :  14:54:21  Show Profile
I wonder if the solid state regulator could be, for example, a DVR3 Regulator I found on Internet, by Dynamo Regulators Ltd?
Thanks
Francesco
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3242 Posts

Posted - 27/01/2014 :  16:37:57  Show Profile
I think what Nick was referring to is a diode in place of the cutout relay. The DVR3 will also work, but you will need to convert your dynamo to a 2 brush unit. Instructions for all of this is in Nick's book on Triple-M electrics.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

doctorbob

United Kingdom
145 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2014 :  09:00:42  Show Profile
Where can I find a copy of Nick's book on Triple-M electrics?
Go to Top of Page

morisani

Italy
109 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2014 :  09:32:44  Show Profile
The dinamo is already a two brushes one. Can You explain me the diode in place of the cut-out relay?
Thanks
Francesco
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2014 :  13:39:22  Show Profile
Francesco, I have sent you a copy of my book.
Bob, I sent you one also.
Nick
Go to Top of Page

doctorbob

United Kingdom
145 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2014 :  16:28:04  Show Profile
Nick, many thanks!
Bob
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
691 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2014 :  17:47:04  Show Profile
Francesco,
I had a two brush dynamo and fitted a DV3 regulator. I was very happy with this and it worked well. You must be very sure to get the wiring mods absolutely correct before turning on the electrics because if you get it wrong you can severely damage the DV 3. I had to read the instructions several times. You will of course have to remove the existing cut out or if you have the original cutout and are leaving it in place for appearance you must make sure all connections are removed at the back of the cut out and will have to remove some of the links to get the circuit right.

Gordon
ex owner of PB 0331, MG4473
Derby
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2014 :  18:11:25  Show Profile
I have an RB106 regulator on my J2 along with a two brush dynamo and I've just sent the regulator off to Dynamo Regulator Conversions (www.dynamoregulatorconversions.com) to have it converted to solid state. I assume they can also convert original J or P regulators.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

morisani

Italy
109 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2014 :  18:49:04  Show Profile
Thank You all.
Go to Top of Page

leafrancis14

United Kingdom
323 Posts

Posted - 28/01/2014 :  23:27:30  Show Profile
I'm absolutely no expert, but I would have thought the first steps (as the connections have already been checked)for the original problem would be to check the brushes and the state of the commutator. Maybe one of the brushes is sticking or the commutator just needs a clean. If that didn't make any difference I would maybe "flash" the dynamo.

Only when I had done that with no difference would I start to think about more complicated things.

Barny Creaser

(Wellingborough)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000