Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 UK Weather
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2014 :  00:24:33  Show Profile
The US news is filled with horrifying images of the incessant rain being felt by the UK. We trust that everyone is safe along with the cars and no one is being too badly flooded.
We can sympathize as we have been flooded twice in the 20 years we have lived in our home.

God speed!

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560

i.thomson

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2014 :  10:31:53  Show Profile
Thanks Lew. We are generally OK here in the east midlands but I feel sorry for those in the West country and some parts of the west and south coasts. Ireland has also caught it bad I believe. Having said that high winds have been a problem everywhere in the last few days. However the temperatures have hardly been below freezing this winter in England and Wales, I can't speak for Scotland though, which is in complete contrast to what we are hearing about the US. It seems everywhere except perhaps the south West coast is under snow over there. Good Luck with that, as they say nowadays.

Ian Thomson
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2014 :  11:20:15  Show Profile
The East Coast of Scotland has had a relatively mild winter so far. Rainfall has been higher than normal, but normal here is quite low. Today is very sunny and 7°C at 11am, and I'm about to go out and do some work on the PA, for the first time since the autumn (sorry, fall ).

Colin

PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2014 :  13:53:58  Show Profile
We should feel for the farmers and everyone living on the Somerset Levels. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTu-EwdTmUs

Graham
On high ground in the windy S.E.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2014 :  15:43:16  Show Profile
It has been very noticeable that the various TV crews and reporters have been clustered round the King Alfred Inn at Burrowbridge, while they did their reporting on the flooding on the Somerset Levels.

It is a very good pub indeed, so no surprise there.

No surprise either that attention swiftly switched to the Thames as soon as part of the Home Counties became waterlogged, at which point lots of concerned Westminster politicians miraculously put in an appearance.

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Eades

United Kingdom
379 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2014 :  16:33:32  Show Profile
The latest from storm-hit Surrey: I have five large conifers parked on my lawn and a very hot chainsaw! Also a lot of gap where the fence used to be. Luckily no one hurt and minimal damage to the house.

Sadly it's keeping me from the garage.

Malcolm

M Type

Go to Top of Page

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
364 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2014 :  17:57:51  Show Profile
Many thanks to everyone giving their best wishes to us Somerset Yokels . It really is quite strange to see real waves in fields where there are supposed to be cattle , and I wonder how some of the farmers are going to recover , for it will be a long time before those fields are productive again . I am hoping that when the Dutch contingent come over for Silverstone in March they bring some dredgers and a couple of windmills . I have not heard of any MMMs being below the waterline , for both Fozzy and Hamish live on top of hills , and the river at the bottom of my garden is just OK .
Go to Top of Page

Tim

United Kingdom
75 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2014 :  22:06:35  Show Profile
I live about as near to the floods on the levels as you can without actually getting wet. A chum who is a mile up the road had his house flooded on Xmas eve with his '65 Sprite sitting in two feet of water in the garage. He is still flooded. I'm building a new body frame for my late steel bodied M type at the moment. Maybe boat fronted as well as boat tailed is the way to go? Hosepipe ban this summer?
Go to Top of Page

peterb

Australia
55 Posts

Posted - 16/02/2014 :  22:52:33  Show Profile
Any chance of sending some of that water to OZ ,might help put some fires out,and get a little good out of a bad situation on both sides, regards Peter
Go to Top of Page

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2014 :  06:26:26  Show Profile
We lost three homes in my town of Warrandyte near Melbourne on the 9th to bushfire. Family evacuated for the day but all OK now.
Yes, send some water this way please! January rainfall for Melbourne was only one third of its average.

Matthew.
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
769 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2014 :  10:33:35  Show Profile
Winds took out one of our big trees....small blessing in that it was an Ash tree so will be put to good use!
Foz
Go to Top of Page

John Haine

United Kingdom
208 Posts

Posted - 17/02/2014 :  11:44:05  Show Profile
A Scots pine took out the modern on Christmas Eve so the M-Type got a lot of use throughout January - good practice for the VSCC driving tests which I got through without fault, albeit slowly. John

Edited by - John Haine on 17/02/2014 11:46:39
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000