Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 J2 luggage compartment dimensions
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6128 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2014 :  12:03:22  Show Profile
As is far too often the case these days, I'm several thousand miles away from the J2 so could I ask some kind fellow J2 owner to run a tape measure over the dimensions of the space behind the seat? What I'm looking for is the distance between the wheel arches, the distance from the rear of the body to the back of the seat at the top and at the level of the top of the battery compartment, and the height from the top of the battery compartment to the top of the wheel arches. Basically what I'm trying to do is to determine the maximum size of bag that could be squeezed in there under the folded hood and tonneau cover.

Many thanks.

Simon J
J3437

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2014 :  12:34:11  Show Profile
Simon,
Are you attending the Kimber next month? I have a suitcase that was made by Abingdon specifically to fit behind the seat in a J2 (brown leather only, not colour matched) which I could bring along to show you. Either that or I can measure it up this evening for you.

JH
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6128 Posts

Posted - 13/03/2014 :  15:56:21  Show Profile
Jeremy,

Unfortunately I'm not going to be able to make the Kimber but I'd certainly appreciate any dimensions you could let me have. I have to say, I rather like the idea of a made to measure suitcase although how one would get it in and out with the hood up is another matter!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6128 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2014 :  07:35:21  Show Profile
P.S. Any chance of a few photos of the J2 case? It sounds very intriguing.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2014 :  18:06:11  Show Profile
Simon,
The case is 26.5 inches, by 9.5 inches by 10.5 inches and fits neatly behind the seats (see the pics).

The case was originally presented as a wedding present by the factory to Russell Lowry, owner of J2610 (first reg. BG 1133) who bought the car new. Russell was a pre-war motoring correspondent for The MaGazine & later General Secretary of the MGCC (when it was still a "works" club).

He kept the suitcase long after the J2 had been sold on and on his retirement, gave it to Wislon McComb with instructions that it should go to an "appreciative J2 owner". This was the early 60s, and as Mel Jones had laid his J2 up (sailing in Malta), the list of running/active J2 owners was somewhat short to say the least. Hence, Wilson passed it on to Dad with a rather nice letter detailing its history. It has been with J2396 ever since. Though it is labled "Genuine Cow Hide" rather than "Louis Vuitton", we rather like it!

JH
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6128 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2014 :  18:28:33  Show Profile
Jeremy,

Many thanks indeed for taking the trouble to take these pictures and post them here. What a lovely story. As far as I know J2610 is now owned by Joseph Connelly in Northern Ireland who bought it from Kenneth Irvine (also 'Norn Iron'). The suit case really is a rather splendid piece of luggage although I do wonder if it would fit under the folded hood frame and behind the cross bar for the seat adjusters (which of course your car doesn't have).

But the dimensions are pretty much what I had in mind would fit behind the seat if using a soft bag.

Thanks again.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 14/03/2014 :  18:56:53  Show Profile
Simon,
You're right - at the moment there is plenty of room to rattle behind the seat in J2396, but it was not always the case. The cross-bar was only taken out in the mid-60s to enhance the +2+ specification. The hood frame survived much longer, coming out in the mid-80s as part of the sub-60s Wiscombe quest (both still sit on the shelf), I can confirm that a case with those maximum dimensions does fit within the confines imposed by those two additional "extras". However, where the folded hood itself, side-screens et al go; I have absolutely no idea!

JH

Thanks for the info on J2610.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2014 :  16:51:40  Show Profile
The tradition continues; our Mk 2A six-speed MX-5 has two rather good fitted cases for the boot enabling ample luggage for holiday use, plus enough room for my clothes in a plastic carrier-bag.

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6128 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2014 :  19:07:35  Show Profile
I'm afraid that even a fitted suitcase wouldn't meet Mrs J's luggage requirements so in the absence of a workable luggage rack I came up with the following solution for carrying an additional bag as well as one placed behind the seat.

The bag is fully waterproof and comes with shoulder straps to enable it to be carried as a back pack if necessary. So it is simply strapped to the spare wheel with the shoulder straps and is easily removed at one's destination.

Simon J
J 3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 15/03/2014 19:10:40
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000