Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 ENGINE NUMBER
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

TAZANIMAL

United Kingdom
19 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2014 :  00:09:31  Show Profile

Hi is the engine number stamped on the bevel gear housing sposed to be the same as on the block it is 1289F it is on a six pot casting date of 1932 i am on the lookout for bits as i am short of a lot
of bits

TAZ"TORQUE OF THE DEVIL"

PeterL

United Kingdom
1731 Posts

Posted - 31/03/2014 :  12:39:26  Show Profile
Yes.

It isn't always and doesn't matter as long as the front housing has been matched to the block.

I think this involves "line boring" to ensure the front and rear bearings are aligned.

My J has a mismatch which originated in the factory!

It might be of interest to know if the block to which your front housing belongs exists. The registrar might help you there and you might even find the correct front housing for your block but if someone is using it they probably won't part with it!.

If you are looking for bits it helps to have a parts list or a catalogue from Sports and Vintage which has an exploded view of the engine. S&V are very helpful.

Also you want to decide what you want to have new: valves, guides, rockers, bushes, etc and these are usually available from S&V, new camshafts might be available too, I believe Baynton Jones makes them with modern timing... New crankshafts can be made but best to share the costs having a batch made if others want one too, you then talk to Peter Green.

If you have a local "natter" go and milk them of their experience, a pint can buy an awful lot of information and that is well worth doing before parting with any money.

Hope this helps

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 01/04/2014 :  09:19:06  Show Profile
Is it F type engine parts you are looking for? if so suggest you e.mail me directly. regards, Rich
Go to Top of Page

clydeconell

USA
1 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2014 :  06:10:38  Show Profile
I never noticed my engine stamp maybe because its second hand and a bit old.
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2014 :  15:47:19  Show Profile
To get back to the subject in hand, if the number is on the front housing, where would it be? My car's block was replaced at Abingdon in 1945, and has no number stamped thereon, and I have often wondered if I should be using the original engine number or not...most of the other bits have been replaced at some time or other, so I guess it is like the proverbial axe that's had three new shafts and two new heads!

Regards,
Graham

Edited by - MaGic_GV on 03/04/2014 15:48:21
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3411 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2014 :  16:43:56  Show Profile
Clyde, I have edited your post as it seems to have no relevance to this topic. Please keep your replies relevant to the topic title.

Colin, I have deleted your response as it would no longer make any sense now that I have edited Clyde's post. I hope you don't mind.

Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3251 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2014 :  18:06:20  Show Profile
Graham, On those front housings I have seen, the engine number was stamped (faintly) on the off side front of the housing just below the dynamo platform.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2014 :  16:20:18  Show Profile
Thanks Lew - can't find it on mine while it is in one piece - I'll have to look next time I dismantle it - hopefully not too soon!

Graham

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000