Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Registration letters
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Oz34

United Kingdom
2560 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2014 :  09:56:55  Show Profile
I was interested not only to see the list of regional letters in the Bulletin, but also Bob's comment on Notts & Derby.

For many years I had been under the impression that my car, OS 3678, was originally registered in Wigtownshire & Glasgow was news to me. Similarly, my first ever car was HOW 44 (how does she ever reach 44 mph?). I always thought that was Herefordshire but the list has OW as Portsmouth; at least Glasgow is not a million miles from Wigtown!

Anyone have similar comments?

Dave

Edited by - Oz34 on 26/04/2014 09:57:57

George Wilder

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2014 :  14:00:11  Show Profile
Interestingly the AA 1951-2 handbook lists OW as Southampton County Borough not Portsmouth.
This confirmed by the list of records still in existence held by the Kitheard Trust (http://www.kitheadtrust.org.uk). Their record of Issuing Authorities confirms this as well they state the Southampton records Office holds a card index for registrations to COW 999 plus some up to YOW. No OW records are listed under Portsmouth.
I don't have sight of the bulletin so I don't know the source of the information in it.
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3247 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2014 :  14:53:56  Show Profile
I too wonder about the accuracy of some of the entries. Although CD is correctly listed for Brighton (my PB), I was pretty certain that TJ (my PA) was a well known Lancashire prefix, not Liverpool as listed.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3680 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2014 :  16:11:50  Show Profile
And I thought WV was supposed to be Wiltshire!

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

George Wilder

United Kingdom
91 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2014 :  16:23:28  Show Profile
According to the the Kithead Trust and my trusty 1951 AA Handbook both Lew and Dick are correct in their assumptions.
TJ Lancashire snd WV Wiltshire
George
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3247 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2014 :  17:29:35  Show Profile
Here's a link on the North American Triple-M Register website to what I believe is a more accurate list of registration marks.
https://sites.google.com/site/northamericanmmmregister/uk-registration-numbers-2

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2560 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2014 :  17:45:18  Show Profile
Thanks for that Lew. Your list confirms my OS as Wigtown although I'm still left wondering about OW which I could have sworn was Hereford. Oh well; can't be right all the time!

Interested that PO is give as West Sussex where I grew up. I'd always regarded it as Brighton which,as a County Borough, is administratively separate but is enclosed by East Sussex; I agree though with CD as being Brighton.

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

creamcracker

United Kingdom
116 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2014 :  20:47:39  Show Profile
Gentlemen,
I have not seen the Bulletin article, but I may be able to throw a little light on the Registration Numbers confusion referred to in earlier posts. The records are generally split into three time periods, ie. Pre 1974, Post 1974 and 1980 "changes".
Therefore;
OS is Wigtownshire- Stranraer- Glasgow.
OW is Southampton CBC - Portsmouth
TJ is Lancashire - Liverpool.
WV is Wiltshire CC - Brighton
PO is West Sussex CC - Portsmouth.
CD is Brighton CBC - Brighton
This and a lot more detailed information is from a publication by Thomas N Bowden and Peter Watts, from 1988. Sadly now long out of print.
Cheers Keith
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2014 :  22:08:23  Show Profile
There's a pretty comprehensive list compiled by the Chiltern Vehicle Preservation Group (although apart from the original Z for Dublin it doesn't cover Irish plates outside the six counties). Over the years quite a few two-letter combinations changed:

http://www.cvpg.co.uk/REG.pdf

For example:
quote:
OS - Stranraer (Wigtown to 1974, Stranraer to 1981, issued by Glasgow for
Stranraer from 1981)
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6152 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2014 :  22:40:10  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Vitesse

although apart from the original Z for Dublin it doesn't cover Irish plates outside the six counties

For those who might wonder where on earth the six counties are, it's one of many terms used to describe Northern Ireland without actually having to say "Northern Ireland".

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3247 Posts

Posted - 26/04/2014 :  23:12:22  Show Profile
"The records are generally split into three time periods, ie. Pre 1974, Post 1974 and 1980 "changes"."

Thanks, Keith. That may explain some of the confusion. However, it is, of course, the pre-1974 era in which most of us have a primary interest, so any list published in the Bulletin should probably accurately reflect the period of 1929 - 1936. I believe the list I referenced above, does a reasonable job of that. Corrections, of course, are always welcome.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560

Edited by - LewPalmer on 26/04/2014 23:13:10
Go to Top of Page

Bob Clare

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2014 :  00:13:49  Show Profile
Unless I missed it, no one in the responses so far has mentioned that invaluable Registrar's friend Mr Philip Riden. I got a copy of the 2nd edition of his excellent treatise published in 1998.

The title is "How to Trace the History of Your Car", published by Merton Priory Press Ltd. ISBN1 898937 25 7. It cost me £5.95 and worth every penny.

The book lists plates from Eire as well as the 6 counties and is pretty good at identifying where any surviving records are kept.

Worth a try to see if this book are still available.
Bob Clare
Old (that's Former!) Triple-M Registrar
Go to Top of Page

john joynes

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2014 :  07:44:19  Show Profile
Said book available on amazon and ebay, an even older former registrar
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2014 :  09:41:08  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Simon Johnston

quote:
Originally posted by Vitesse

although apart from the original Z for Dublin it doesn't cover Irish plates outside the six counties

For those who might wonder where on earth the six counties are, it's one of many terms used to describe Northern Ireland without actually having to say "Northern Ireland".

Simon J
J3437

Indeed, Simon. I just didn't want to get into that whole Ireland/Free State/Eire/Irish Republic bit ...
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2014 :  12:11:10  Show Profile
The book referred to is on ebay and Amazon at about £44. I have reg. list in my old Observers book of Cars, which I will scan and post when I have time...or is that illegal?

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 27/04/2014 :  16:49:57  Show Profile
Looks like all the requisite info is in the doc pointed to by vitesse above so I'll go back to browsing through said Observers book, which contains such exotica as Frazer-Nash, HRG, Bugatti etc. Well, it's raining...

Regards,
Graham

Edited by - MaGic_GV on 27/04/2014 16:51:36
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000