Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG NE
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Richard Martin

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 01/05/2014 :  21:30:09  Show Profile
A business contact of mine remembers his father who ran a garage at Reddish in Manchester taking a Blue NE in part exchange for an Austin A55 Pick up truck in 1963-4.
Also included in the exchange was a special bodied NA 4 seater.
We wondered whether this makes sense with other MMM members who were around at the time or indeed which NE this actually was.
My contact cannot remember reg no, but his description matches my expectations of NE bodywork etc.
many thanks

Richard Martin

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2014 :  11:57:43  Show Profile
Very interesting. I live within a few miles of Reddish & 1963 was my first year of motor sport. I bought my first Triple-M car in 1959 so would love to know further details of the NE & NA exchange.
I have never heard of any NE being in the Stockport/Manchester area in those days or more recently. I do know of K3, Q & J3 but not NE.
Any more info available on the garage in question etc. etc. would perhaps enable me to follow it up.
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3388 Posts

Posted - 02/05/2014 :  12:54:23  Show Profile
I have moved this post to "General" as "Seeking Information" is for information regarding pictures.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

Richard Martin

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2014 :  21:30:43  Show Profile
Ray

Thanks for info, have spoken to my contact.
Garage was Yew Tree Garage on Reddish Rd Reddish, I understand it still exists as a petrol filling station.
The salesman at the garage was called Bernard Loftus who did the deal with the 2 MGs & probably sold them on.
He still operated a few years ago under a railway arch in Hyde Rd,Gorton.
Thanks for your interest

Many thanks

Richard Martin
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 07/05/2014 :  10:02:34  Show Profile
I have been through Pete Thelander's excellent book on NE history, and I cannot see that any of the genuine cars are likely to have been in the Reddish area in the years in question. At a guess, I would say that both N types were fitted with special bodies, and the NE TT body would have been a fairly simple one to reproduce.

Colin B.

Edited by - Colin Butchers on 07/05/2014 10:04:14
Go to Top of Page

Bob Clare

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2014 :  00:28:14  Show Profile
Well, well - the MGCC archive on my NB Cresta has a nice letter from R.O. Edwards of the MG Service Technical Department dated 22/1/64 in which he refers to Bernard Loftus' phone call asking for info on the car. Presumably Yew Tree Service Station, Reddish Road, Reddish, had got the car and wanted to sell it on with some data attached. MG duly supplied some.

Could it be that this Bertelli bodied NB (current photo attached) was mistaken for an NE? It was certainly blue when Philip Bayne Powell had it in the early '70s. Incidentally, the Cresta bodied N Type is an even rarer survivor than the NE. Only 3 of the 10 (or maybe 12) made still exist so far as is known.

Bob Clare

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000