Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG NB Airline Convertible ????
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mgvadick

USA
4 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2014 :  18:16:40  Show Profile
I have a 1936 MG NB which is notably different than any other NB I have seen.

The Car has a unique body with the rear deck sloped and rounded with the top bows following the the curved line forward to the windscreen which is raked back at an angle greater than normal. In addition, the doors are hinged in the normal NB fashion, but the rear of the doors follows the curve of the rear wings as an Airline coupe does. It appears, based on looking at the paint layers that the body, doors etc. have been in this configuration from day one.

I have found reference in 1936 periodicals mentioning, in addition to the NB Airline coupe, the existence of an Airline convertible. My question is do any of the members have any knowledge that would help clarify this issue. A picture of the car exists in the members gallery which is a side view of the vehicle at the time that I obtained it some 20 plus years ago.

I am in the process of completing the sympathetic restoration together it back on the road and am committed to putting it back as it was in this picture. It would be nice to know just what it is body wise. The car came to California sometime in the '40s after the war and appears to have been used on the continent early on. A record search indicates that it went out to a distributor upon manufacture but was returned and repainted before being sold. Is it possible that the body modifications were made at this time?

Oh, if these cars could only talk!

All comments and / or ideas welcome, thanks.

Richard Duncan
Email MGVADick@aol.com

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3680 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2014 :  18:48:26  Show Profile
Hello Richard and welcome to the Forum.

Have you recorded the car with our Registrar? Details are at http://www.triple-mregister.org/registerlogin.asp

If you could let us know the chassis number of the car it may provide a clue to some of the questions you have asked.

Dick Morbey
PA/PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2014 :  19:25:11  Show Profile
The Chassis Number appears to be NA0958 and the car has Register Number 2763. The notes in the Register Listing says it was a 4 seater.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3246 Posts

Posted - 06/05/2014 :  19:30:52  Show Profile
Dick,
I assume you have NA0958, so the one thing I can tell you for sure that it is NOT an Airline Coupe, as there was only one NB Airline ever built and I know much of this history of that car. It is apparently also not an Allingham Coupe, as the treatment of the rear appears quite different. The Allingham Coupe and the Airline Coupe were the only two MG body styles associated with Henry W. Allingham.

Based on my limited knowledge of other coach built MGs, I can only say it appears to be a one-off or possible one of the many limited production cars bodied by independent coach builders.

It would be helpful to others more knowledgeable people if you were able to post additional and more detailed photos of the car.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3246 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2014 :  17:06:57  Show Profile
Very interesting that just yesterday I found some correspondence from a fellow in the US who also was trying to identify his car. This is NA0762 which appears to have an almost identical body. Again, can anyone identify the body maker?

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2014 :  21:52:32  Show Profile
The middle car is an entirely different one surely?
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3246 Posts

Posted - 08/05/2014 :  23:04:20  Show Profile
I posted the middle car before as representing a similar, but not the same, car. The top photo is likely the same as that posted by MGVADick. So the question remains, what is it?

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

Bob Clare

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2014 :  00:33:31  Show Profile
Richard, you and I communicated about your interesting car in 10/03 when you asked whether your car might be a Cresta. I think I said "no, wrong doors and anyway NA 0958 started life as a 4 seater which was sold through Morris Industries Export". I had no info on its export destination though the current Registrar may know more.

The cars pictured by Lew may indeed be 2 different N Types with modified bodies as Cathelijne suggests, unless Lew knows it's the same chassis (NA 0762 - the b&w shot). Though this chassis number falls into the NB date range, the doors and dash are of course NA and I moved the entry into the NA part of the Register in 9/03.

When I was Registrar we had 3 b&w photos of this, the one Lew shows, a ¾ right front shot and, interestingly, a rear shot showing a US plate T 50703. It was in Kansas then and had been in the owner's family for a while. It was bought by the owner's father in Germany I think.

Hope that adds a bit (not a lot!).
Bob Clare
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2557 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2014 :  09:42:47  Show Profile
That's interesting Bob as it looks to me as though the plate in this B&W shot is probably the same. However with your mentioning Germany, the derelict Hillman carries a "D" plate, the centre car is I think a Borgward & a wild guess, the left hand one could be an Opel? Could this pic have been taken in Germany? It certainly doesn't look like the US to me.

Dave

Edited by - Oz34 on 09/05/2014 09:43:39
Go to Top of Page

Robin Macmillan

United Kingdom
415 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2014 :  09:47:06  Show Profile
middle vehicle is certainly LHD

PB 0527
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3246 Posts

Posted - 09/05/2014 :  14:54:12  Show Profile
Yes, the B/W photo of NA0762 was taken in Germany shortly after the owner's father took possession of the car.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000