Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG 3296
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

etaylor

Australia
27 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2014 :  06:20:08  Show Profile
Having finally completed the restoration of NA0303 and it is back on the road again, I had the opportunity to revisit the 1/2" pile of photocopied papers that comprise the original factory records for the car. Every time I do look at them I seem to find something new.
The car was originally registered MG3296 through University Motors, London and sold to Fitzroy K Chapman from Sussex.
Within a week the car had a significant accident requiring a new chassis. The factory correspondence from this time and over about 12 months was with Stewart P Chapman (same address). A son? Did he bingle the car?
Anyway its what happened next is what I find interesting. Mr "SPC" must have been into something serious for him to have his initials (SPC) painted on the doors, union jacks on the bonnet sides, twin spare wheels with competition tyres, a K3 external exhaust (much to the factories disgust)and bucket seats, just to mention a few.
The car seemed to be forever back in the factory for repairs and seems as though it was having a hard life.
So, has anyone out there any record of MG3296 active in trials or other competition in late '34 and early '35?
The cars second owner around May 1935 was the Hon R Greville (Earl of Warwick, originally in Sussex then moved to the Castle) and he had twin fuel pumps and a blower (nose mounted I think)fitted, so I assume they were not just for looks either?
So there you have it, I would love to know some more.
Thanks Ed

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2014 :  05:20:18  Show Profile
Here is my picture of Ed and his lovely Magnette making its first appearance at our Flemington RACV Concours earlier this year. Ed did nearly all the work himself.

Matthew.

Go to Top of Page

Matthew Magilton

Australia
179 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2014 :  05:52:14  Show Profile
A quick search shows this family on various family tree websites. Fitzroy Keith Chapman (1871-1953) was the father of Stewart Pelham Chapman (1916-1936). I wonder if Stewart passed away from injuries received in the accident? With the address it could be worth while searching local newspapers for an accident report if we can figure out when the accident happened.

Matthew.
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 23/06/2014 :  08:09:24  Show Profile
One HGE Greville (a relation perhaps?) was the first owner of JB854, the K1 works demonstrator, he had it from June 33 to June 34. I mention it because this car also seemed to have a rather accident prone early life...

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000