Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Boxing in chassis rails
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

beautymate

United Kingdom
365 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2014 :  18:25:23  Show Profile
Does any one have experience/thoughts on boxing in an MG chassis rails to gain strength/stop chassis twist. Is there a down side to doing this?
Cheers

Chris

bob

United Kingdom
335 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2014 :  19:04:17  Show Profile
I think the main downside to boxing in chassis rails is it allows water to remain trapped inside leading to the enevitable rust.Obviously it also adds weight and as it is non original it could possibly devalue the car?
Go to Top of Page

JohnE

United Kingdom
373 Posts

Posted - 20/07/2014 :  20:30:35  Show Profile
I believe the TA had a reputation for chassis cracks just aft of the boxed in part, which ran roughly from gearbox to front trunnion to stiffen up the rubber mounted engine area. Mine certainly cracked under the passenger seat, and it certainly wasn't the weight of my passenger.

JohnE
Go to Top of Page

Tony Dolton

United Kingdom
372 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2014 :  09:04:04  Show Profile
The MMM chassis is designed to be flexible not rigid.if you mess about with it you are likely to alter the handling.the VSCC will not accept chassis 'botches' if you wish to compete in their events.if the chassis could have been improved no doubt Abingdon would have done it.
Tony
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2014 :  11:11:41  Show Profile
It was not uncommon to box in MMM chassis' before the war, to improve handling on the Brooklands Outer Circuit, where it was considered that the normal MG chassis was just too flexible and led to excessive wandering about at speed. Somewhere in my files I have a drawing of the boxing in done to the ex Ashton Rigby L2 (now owned by Malcolm Newman) and I have no knowledge as to whether this resulted in chassis cracking.

The work was done by a bloke called Robin Jackson who I am told was quite good at getting cars to go quickly at Brooklands.
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2014 :  13:24:44  Show Profile
Presumably boxing in has to allow access holes for cable brake fitting etc., allowing flexing to focus on these potential weak areas?

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2014 :  13:34:58  Show Profile
In 'Wheatley & Morgan' there is a comment, with reference to the stiffening of the chassis of early cars, that "The suspension is usually so stiff that it is necessary for the frame to be flexible in order to keep the wheels on the ground". No doubt applicable to Triple-M cars.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 21/07/2014 :  13:42:25  Show Profile
I know of two F Stiles chassis that were boxed. the work was crude, apparently, on my car it certainly was. There were holes in the boxing for cross tube and access to fixings etc. My chassis had been in a fire and so determining what caused how much corrosion is difficult but the crannies and nooks would have been an ideal breeding place for rust.

Sorry cannot find a photo...

Cheers

P
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000