Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MMM Dealerships
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 11

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2014 :  19:37:16  Show Profile
Hi All,

My update this week covers the West Sussex area, although I am convinced I don't have all the known dealerships for this area. Any help on this would be greatly appreciated.

I also discovered an interesting story relating to Wadham brothers whilst speaking to a relative of another dealership owner, a very nice and helpful man by all accounts. He told be that he competed in the 1965 Le Mans in a Jaguar, with the son of one of the Wadham brothers.

Any information on car's supplied and dealerships in general, is always welcome and gratefully received. I currently have information on 45 cars and 325 dealerships.

Thanks

Matthew
Go to Top of Page

george

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2014 :  19:49:06  Show Profile
N 902 was supplied by Pritchards Service Garage , Wadhurst Sussex .The car was a 2 seat NB. Geoff Godwin
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 14/11/2014 :  19:53:51  Show Profile
Hi Geoff

Thanks for this information, do you happen to know the date of supply and the name of the dealership that upheld the 6 months guarantee?

Thanks

Matthew
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 21/11/2014 :  22:47:04  Show Profile
Hi All,

Firstly I must apologise for the overlay in the scans, I have tried to save paper by putting both pages of information on the same piece of paper.

I am sticking with the Sussex area this week, in particular dealerships in the east. I seem to have a few more dealerships for this area than west Sussex, thanks by the way to Geoff Godwin for the most recent addition to the list. Many of you will also know about the website mgmmm, maintained by Jos and Gerard. They very kindly identified that the brilliant image on their homepage was believed to be that of Page Brothers in Bexhill.

I currently don't have any information for cars supplied by the Brighton branch of University Motors, Parkinson Polson, Kings Garages and Page Bros, so any information would be helpful.

Thanks once again

Matthew

Edited by - MJM20 on 21/11/2014 22:54:33
Go to Top of Page

george

United Kingdom
863 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2014 :  16:09:25  Show Profile
N902 was supplied on 1st jan 1936 by Pritchards motor services Wadhurst. I don't know who held the guarantee. Geoff
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 22/11/2014 :  16:24:01  Show Profile
Thanks Geoff, much appreciated.

Matthew
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 07/02/2015 :  19:53:56  Show Profile
Hi All

Apologies for the long delay in updating the topic. In recent weeks I have been speaking with the register management about the purpose of my research as I felt I was starting to go off on a tangent, risking duplicating research already completed. Speaking with the management has helped focus the purpose of my research to create an end result that is hopefully beneficial to the register.

Essentially, I am still interested in the details from the guarantee cards and the stories behind each car. I don't really have a purpose to know the specific dates of supply/purchase, but I am still interested in the the distributing and supplying dealers for each car. Having said this, the original intention is back at core of my research, this is to understand and document the links between MG, and their dealerships.

Thanks to the workshop manuals being available on the forum I have been able to add 78 extra dealerships to the list, but somehow I have a feeling I will still be missing a few, so any help would be gratefully received.

Hopefully I will upload a 'counties' worth of dealerships, listed on the spreadsheet tomorrow for your viewing and I welcome discussions and corrections.

I would like to take this opportunity to publicly thank the register leadership for their input which I respect and greatly value.

I hope this has a laid members fears, and I look forward to progressing the project with your help.

Thanks

Matthew

Edited by - MJM20 on 07/02/2015 20:01:08
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2015 :  13:09:13  Show Profile
Hi All,

As mentioned in my previous post, below is a list of the dealerships that operated in Tyne & Wear as well as County Durham. I will say one thing for this project it has improved my knowledge of national geography. Having said that, there is bound to be some mistakes so please let me know, I don't want to insult locals of an area.

The last three are recent additions as a result of checking the electronic copies of the manuals. Dex Garages is also interesting in the sense that a quick search of the internet seemed to suggest that its primary function was an Art Deco multi-storey car park (sadly demolished I believe). It would be interesting to hear if any member's car's were supplied by them.

I am also thinking up a solution to represent the fact that dealerships changed hands/amalgamated or closed down (hence why some on the spreadsheet may have the same addresses but different trading names).

Thanks

Matthew

Go to Top of Page

Bob Clare

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2015 :  18:28:03  Show Profile
Crikey, I’m late catching up with this thread!! Anyway, maybe the following will be useful.

1. P 1048 (Road Plate BPG 994, Triple-M Register Number 1925 –
standard PA) sold by:
Wimbledon Motor Works Ltd., 29 High St. Wimbledon SW19
to
Mr. E.F. Albin of 84 Cranston Road, Forest Hill SE23 on
1st July 1934

2. NA 0934 (Road Plate MG 4750, Triple-M Register Number 1270 –
NB spec “Cresta” body by Bertelli), sold by:
Cresta Motor Company, Broadcaster Road, Worthing – I see you’ve
already got this agency. The significance of the Bertelli
involvement was that one of the Directors of the company was
Jim Elwes who drove for Aston Martin. Harry Bertelli ran the
latter’s body making business, hence the Cresta looks like and
Aston from the back.

Of course, as you may already have been informed, if you're an MGCC member and have the time, you can ask Kimber house to let you go through the surviving factory records for Triple-M cars and you'll find a large number of the dealers listed on the sales record cards.

Hope that lot adds to your database.
Keep up the good work and kind regards.
Bob Clare

Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 08/02/2015 :  20:02:34  Show Profile
Hi Bob

Thanks for this information, I will add it to the spreadsheet. With regards PA1048, Wimbledon Motor Works is a dealer I haven't come across, would I be correct in thinking that they were the agent and that Jarvis' or University Motors were the distributors?

Thanks also for the information on Cresta, and I am aware of the records at Kimber House. I think I will have to take a trip (or several, by the size of the archive) down there at some point.

Thanks once again

Matthew
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2015 :  10:27:10  Show Profile
Matthew, If it helps, I can tell you that Mike Allison's "Monte Carlo" blown NA (NA0307) was sold to Parkinson, Polson & Company Ltd in Eastbourne, and it was used competitively by H Parkinson at Brighton and Lewes Speed Trials for a couple of years.

I have no information about delivery dates, or who dealt with the guarantee, but I am sure that Mike has all of this information (and more)

Regards,

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1731 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2015 :  14:51:41  Show Profile
Matthew

I haven't been paying attention! Have you started on Scotland yet?

If you have I have a couple for you.

The Distriibuter up there for both my “Scottish” cars was The Scottish Motor Traction Company. They took delivery of F0313 on 8 December 1931 and I understand from Mike Allison that it was sold via A&D Fraser of Glasgow to a D Murray of Edinburgh on 9 January 31, though the Kithead Trust says it was 14 June … Mike tells me this car had trials history in Mr Murray’s hands… This car was an early Stiles bodied car so at some stage had gone via Charlesworth to have its body fitted.

Mike if you read this do tell me your sources of this information, I would love to have copies if possible....

The Scottish MTC also handled J3485. CS Grant, of Central Motors Glasgow was the dealer. He had the car on his books from July 33 till 1 Feb 34 when he sold it to an unsuspecting Mr Buchanan. I say “unsuspecting” because shortly after there was a claim on the warranty which the factory refused to honour. Had CS Grant been trialling it too hard perhaps, before he sold it….

Any info on these Scottish cars and their trialling history from our independently minded friends north of the border would be much appreciated.

Best wishes

P
Go to Top of Page

Keith Wallace

United Kingdom
367 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2015 :  16:26:00  Show Profile
PB 0543 .....Registration number YS 5081..... 1969 Club number ... was supplied by the Scottish Motor Traction Company of Glasgow on the 28th December 1935 to a Tommy Spencer Weston of 1 Scott Street, Glasgow.

Mr Weston was very successful in competing in MGCC trials and winning the Glasgow to Blackpool section of 1936 RAC Blackpool Rally.

Keith Wallace

Edited by - Keith Wallace on 09/02/2015 16:27:33
Go to Top of Page

MJM20

United Kingdom
111 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2015 :  19:53:55  Show Profile
Hi

Thanks Bob for the information on NA0307, I am actually in contact with Mike regarding advice for the project.

Thanks Peter for the information on your cars. I haven't posted the Scottish dealerships on the thread yet but they are on the spreadsheet. I do have SMTC on the list as well as A&D Fraser and C S Grant, in fact the latter was brought to my attention by Mike who told me he thought they may have been amalgamated with SMTC at some point. At of interest what batch of SMTC dealt with F0313, as I have three on the spreadsheet, their main branch in Edinburgh, Glasgow & Dundee?

Thanks Keith for the information on PB0543, would I be correct in thinking SMTC upheld the guarantee?

Thanks for all this information.

Matthew

Edited by - MJM20 on 09/02/2015 19:54:14
Go to Top of Page

Keith Wallace

United Kingdom
367 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2015 :  22:15:47  Show Profile

Mathew.

I confirm,
PB 0543 ....... The original guarantee was issued by S.M.T.Company Glasgow on the 11th January 1936

Keith.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 11 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000