Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 A Genuine M-type Tool Roll ? -Probably
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2014 :  13:15:40  Show Profile
An M-type tool roll which I believe is genuine has just sold on eBay . The tools even look right. It looks like this -

What convinced me that it is genuine is that it is so similar to one which accompanied 2M 371 .The circumstantial evidence seemed to strongly suggest that the tool roll with 2M 371 was genuine but I have had to wait years to cross check it against another.

To my eyes these tool rolls bear no resemblance to the leather creations currently available which I believe are entirely modern.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 30/07/2014 13:23:04

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 30/07/2014 :  20:31:54  Show Profile
I didn't buy it and I offer my congratulations to whoever did.

If anyone ever reproduced these tool rolls I would be a potential customer.

Opened out this tool roll is about 22" by 9 1/2".

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Orstin

United Kingdom
637 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2014 :  06:56:10  Show Profile
eye watering price!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VINTAGE-ORIGINAL-MG-M-TYPE-TOOL-ROLL-WITH-TOOLS-EXTREMELY-RARE-TOOLKIT-/191254322327?pt=UK_Car_Parts_Vehicles_Automobila_ET&hash=item2c87a55c97&nma=true&si=PFp7nO0FXkxDalW%252Bj6DP%252BoU%252Fk6U%253D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

with 12 bidders having a go for it..

So many dynamos
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6131 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2014 :  08:26:12  Show Profile
I actually reckon that's a pretty fair price. A well known dealer offers tool kits at £395 plus VAT and they wouldn't have the provenance that the eBay one had. And from my own experience of putting my tool kit together, you'd easily spend £100-120 buying the tools on eBay, plus another £50 for the roll from Collingburn.

A good buy for whoever got it.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2014 :  10:32:27  Show Profile
I would hazard a guess that the modern reproduction tool-rolls are made in non-authentic materials, since there appears to be no present-day equivalent to the 'rexine' types universally used eighty years ago in the industry. They certainly look unconvincing.

In any case, 'original with patina' seems always preferable to repro. in non-mechanical matters.

Finding the tools is the easy bit.

Bob.
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2014 :  10:52:50  Show Profile
To my mind the price seems entirely reasonable, I bet it would cost far more to build the set by buying individual items.

I agree with the observation that original with patina is so much better than repro.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6131 Posts

Posted - 31/07/2014 :  15:11:58  Show Profile
As Bob says, finding the tools is the easy bit (see Bob, I don't always disagree with you ) although the chances of getting an original tool roll in usable condition must be getting slimmer by the day. The Collingburn one is probably as good as there is available and it does acquire a patina of its own after rattling around behind the seat for a year or two. And according to Mike Collingburn, the ones they make are virtually identical to the originals for Js and later cars, being of canvas and leather rather than rexine.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

thecollingburnboys

United Kingdom
574 Posts

Posted - 15/09/2014 :  09:35:42  Show Profile
We also believe that it is an original M-Type tool roll but it is not what was provided with later MMM cars after M-Type. If we had an original or a pattern and they were in demand we would make them.
The tool rolls weren't made in the trim shop by MG, they were bought in and were not model or even marque specific. When I find our original MMM toolroll I will put a photo up but it is currently "hiding". The repros we produce are an exact copy of our original. Double-sided hessian/twill canvas and leather straps.

We; Collingburn, choose not to use Rexine as it is no longer widely available and was only used as it was cheap and the best they had at the time.
The one we produce for MMM cars is larger and quite different, holds more tools and to our mind is far more attractive. Leather over Rexine for us everytime, original or not.

James Collingburn

Edited by - thecollingburnboys on 15/09/2014 09:52:35
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000