Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 1964 Silverstone Photos
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2014 :  09:40:21  Show Profile
HI All, I just stumbled on this website by Steve Mckelvie with Photos from Silverstone 1964 from Evan Gamblin. A few cars for you to identify!!

http://stevemckelvie.wordpress.com/2014/07/25/pre-war-mgs-at-silverstone-from-50-years-ago/

Mark Dolton

graham holdsworth

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2014 :  13:52:04  Show Profile
Thanks for that Mark.
Oh the nostalgia ! I was at that meeting with my first MGA ( spectating ). I have to confess my interests were MGA and Ginetta G4, the MMM bug had not bitten then.
Fascinating pictures, where are those MMM racers now ?
Graham
Feeling old !
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2014 :  17:36:37  Show Profile
Too easy! I'll let someone else have a go (don't know about the M Type though).

JH
Go to Top of Page

O.Thomas

United Kingdom
755 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2014 :  17:48:01  Show Profile
105 I think is Stuart Milton m type special, red m type Peter Thornley,88 Mike Hawke,52 Le Mans PB probably Tony Miles, 12 Geoff Coles j4004, 58 Mel jones j4 rep , 19 Beers J3 single seater , also evident in background the ex Harvey Noble Q type . Marks out of 10 Mr Hawke?
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
911 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2014 :  18:01:08  Show Profile
10/10 Ollie!
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2014 :  18:22:37  Show Profile
Too good Ollie, I thought the Le Mans P Types were PA's. Did a PB race?

Not sure of overall results but 1964 Mary Harris Winner - Bruce Beer in the J3 Special

Mark Dolton
Go to Top of Page

Allan Bentley

United Kingdom
257 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2014 :  19:00:14  Show Profile
Those were the days when you could still afford to race and still have some change from a student allowance for a beer afterwards. My Zoller blown PA JD5335 (PA0759) is parked up 'resting' along the pit wall behind the red M Type. Tony Miles had Le Mans P Type and I have a photo of this in action rounding Woodcote in my collection.
I think my brother won the Mary Harris in this car in 1965. Today it gave me a great drive up the A1 to the Shuttlworth trust to meet up with a student friend who introduced me to MGs in 1961 and relaced an original body on Lew Palmer's PB Airline which had had its top cut off in the 1950s.
Good memories
Allan
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2014 :  09:59:05  Show Profile
Thanks for the memory link, Mark.

I too was at this meeting, helping Stuart Milton with his M type, 105. I hope I remember correctly him telling me the body was adapted from the nose cone of the fuselage of a Gloster Meteor.

I also spent many enjoyable hours working on his Le Mans M, probably when I should have been writing up chemistry practicals!

John R
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2014 :  10:40:37  Show Profile
The "Dancing Daughters" Le Mans cars were PAs, although they turned into PBs on their return from Le Mans. The Tony Miles car is ex Dorothy Stanley-Turner who raced it at Le Mans in 1937 - Reg No JB 7963 (MMM No 141.) The car was distinctive for its yard a half of chrome exhaust pipe, which looks as if it might have fallen off a Kawasaki.

So far as car 105 goes, I had also heard of the aircraft connection, although I was told that it was from an aircraft "drop tank". Was this the same car that was driven in the early sixties by Clive Sheriff ?

Car 12 certainly carries the correct Registration number for J4004, but I think that subsequently the car was found to have a standard J2 frame, although no chassis number is apparent. At the time it was certainly thought to be J4004.

Car 19 had just been bought by the Beer family from Tony Merrick and is said to have the body (or parts of it) from QA 0251. The car is J3751, the first of the J3s which was campaigned before and after the war by FG and D Lomax (possibly father and son ?) The car was very much modified by them with i.f.s. and a single seater body and on one occasion in the early post-war period it was identified by Bill Boddy as being "a converted R Type". Oh well ! Tony Merrick reverted the car to beam axle, with a different single seat body and in this guise, the car was very fast. In fact, in 1964 Malcolm Beer won the Mary Harris Trophy at Silverstone with J3751.

Car 58 was the Mel Jones car, which was probably the fastest J2 of the period and in company with Mike Hawke's J 2396 they were my introduction to proper MMM ownership (before the MMM Register was created) when I saw them side by side in the Paddock at Brands Hstch in 1956 or 1957. I had just bought my M Type, LJ 3782 at the time.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2014 :  11:33:42  Show Profile
Excellent work Colin! Are these machines still out and about?

It might be a dream to get these cars back on track but be great to see them regardless.

The noise must have been terrific from these exhausts! not sure I can negotiate an unrestricted noise limit for the race next year, but it would be great to hear the roar.

Mark Dolton
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2014 :  15:01:52  Show Profile
Great pictures and fond memories for all.

That Geoff Coles J4 was awesome and set a high standard for all to follow. There is a nice full page colour picture of the car in the book The great cars by Ralph Stein.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2014 :  16:41:34  Show Profile
The body from J4004 now resides on chassis number J3761 and resides in the US. It along with J2594 (the ex-Langley & Bastock pre-Cream Cracker trials team car still owned by Peter Ross) will be at Watkins Glen next week. J2594 will be raced. Also racing will be PA1237 owned by Jason Urban. These in a huge field of a number of lesser (post war) MGs.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 02/09/2014 :  16:44:33  Show Profile
I am often asked why I have 2 numberplates on the back of my M.
Well, this was based on a photograph of RX7894 - if it was good enough for Mr Thornley senior, then it was good enough for me!
Car now is owned by Thornley junior in the USA, and on the 1st MMM raid I managed to get a picture of both the cars parked next to each other.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000