Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 PB parts.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2014 :  12:11:18  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by rustcollector

Ags,

Where do you get your information, is it a long time of chatting and discovery or are there books I should get.

I am sorry to say this but for me it is a great deal of chatting and discovery, though Blower is a jolly good start. None of the books tell you every thing you need to know, there are so many wrinkles! This forum is a life saver to those like me who have had their car for some time, maintain it themselves and have only dismantled the bits they've broken!

Malcolm Green's books are good, if you can find them, but usually expensive, (MG Road Cars Vol 1 (4 cyls) and Vol 2, 6 cyls)He has many others but these are the technical ones. There is lots in the Yearbooks and Bulletins too, and elsewhere on the web - see the 'links' bit.

Blower and this forum, plus lots of practice, is as good a start as anything!

Regards,
Graham

ps I apologise for butting in and answering on behalf of AGS, he may well say something completely different...

GVA

Edited by - MaGic_GV on 05/09/2014 13:49:30
Go to Top of Page

gb

United Kingdom
205 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2014 :  19:35:40  Show Profile
Hi Michael,

My PA (PA1836) was rebuilt in the 80's (or so I am lead to understand) and has a PB style dash. It has the tacho calibrated in RPM only and with the separate Speedo. The speedo also has the 30mph warning light which is to the rhs of the tacho..

Regards

Glenn

PA 1836
Go to Top of Page

BobH

United Kingdom
250 Posts

Posted - 05/09/2014 :  20:11:42  Show Profile
No need to buy Blower at inflated e-bay prices- its available brand new on Amazon at £34.

Now if anyone can show me where to get Malcolm Greens 4 cyl book....

Edited by - BobH on 05/09/2014 20:12:47
Go to Top of Page

ags

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 06/09/2014 :  15:11:54  Show Profile
Hi Michael,

In the time which I have taken to respond everyone else has filled in the gaps which you needed to know. I have even been saved the trouble of photographing my tachometer and/or dashboard. (Thanks to all.)

For any body even just thinking about running an MMM car Blower is an essential purchase, my own copy is so old and tatty from constant use that it falls apart now so that I am seriously thinking about a new copy for reference purposes only. I acquired it first with my second J2 circa 1963 when the book was relatively new being a 1960 edition. The book has long outlasted the car which ended up with Richardsons and probably now resides in one of the Heathrow reservoirs. (The J was a red swept wing one. The chassis number and registration number have long departed me as I did not care to remember either after it threw a rod in the Slough area.)

The chassis numbers in my emails were extracted from the Parts List and the ratio details from Blower by comparing the specification lists. I may have talked about these things with numerous other people but my memory does not retain such things sufficiently well unless I check them. An example of this failure is the Thirty MPH warning light on the dash, which had slipped my memory. This item is of interest when you consider the date of the cars, as the then Transport Minister, Hore-Belisha, had introduced the urban speed limit of 30 in 1935 together with pedestrian crossings complete with their beacons. Naturally Kimber and Co. did not want too many of their more hot shoe drivers to be hauled up before the Magistrates!

More ramblings from

Andrew Smith MMM571
PB Abergavenny
Go to Top of Page

rustcollector

United Kingdom
410 Posts

Posted - 08/09/2014 :  21:22:29  Show Profile
I just checked my steering and it seems I have the bishop cam type steering box hoorah ;-) my frame no. is P 1275 so that doesn't make sense, but definately bishop cam.

and then noticed that S&V do a replacement worm and state it is 8:1 so I guess they made an average between the PA and PB.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000