Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Abingdon trial 1939?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 03/10/2014 :  13:13:01  Show Profile

Hi,

Can anyone help in identifying the driver of entrant number 120
in the 1939 Abingdon Trial/Rally. Dated 13-14th May.

The car in question is PA 0512. Reg. DG 8927.

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks.

Brian

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2014 :  14:11:13  Show Profile

I'd like to re-post this as I'm sure that there is some one OUT THERE that can help.

Thnaks.

Brian.
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2014 :  18:44:17  Show Profile
Brian,

I don't have any info on the 1939 Trial, but it might be worth contacting the archivist at the MG Car Club. There may be an entrants' list in the archive because it was a trial organised by the Club.

John R
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2014 :  10:14:21  Show Profile
Brian,

Another person to contact is Roger Thomas, as he seems to have amassed quite a lot of info on the Abingdon Trials. One problem is that unlike the MCC who have always issued proper Route CARDS, many of the pre-war one day trials used thin paper. That coupled with the likelihood of wet weather meant that very few of the Route Instructions and Entry Lists survived the day, let alone the next 75 years.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Cathelijne

Netherlands
744 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2014 :  09:14:34  Show Profile
Hi Brian,

There's a lovely article on all the Abingdon trials in the 1978 Yearbook, although unfortunately the info you're after is not in there.

Mike Allison's files show the (second) owner of PA0512 as T.P. Williams (since June 1936), so he may still have been the owner/driver of the car three years on?

There is no mention of T.P. Williams in any of the events mentioned in Donald Cowbourne's book on British Trials Drivers, Their Cars & Awards 1929-1939, so that's no help either.

Nothing new for you, I guess, just thought I'd let you know what I (have not) found.

Regards,
Cat

Go to Top of Page

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2014 :  12:10:35  Show Profile
According to Roger Thomas' book "MG Trials Cars" the 1939 event of the 13/14th May 1939 had 32 trial entries and 47 Rally entries. (Trial /rally event with an overnight stop at Shrewsbury).
Trial won by Jack Terras in a P type, and the rally section by F. M. Price in a WA!
7 First class awards, 6 second class awards, and the team prize was won by the Musketeers team of Green, Langley and Bastock.
Perhaps somebody would go to Abingdon to ask if they have the results, and if they have,could we publish them all on the website!! In order that they are there for us all to use.

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2014 :  10:43:11  Show Profile

Thanks to all who responded and the input received. Appreciated.
I'll respond next week with any information and an up-date.
Presently I'm in the UK and about to return to the States on Sunday. 19th.

Thanks again.

Brian.

Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2014 :  01:10:20  Show Profile

Hi Cat,

Thanks for pointing out the article in the 1978 Yearbook.

There was no credit given to the author, would anyone know who would have written it?

Brian.
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2014 :  09:11:19  Show Profile
The style looks like the late Mike Hawke, Foz was editor and may remember but it was a long time ago!

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000